Region H

bcmulie

Hey guys, I know there's been lots of requests for info on Region H the past few years, but if there's still somebody out there willing to share info, I'd sure like to talk to him or her. I have a few general areas that I'd like to bounce off someone to see if they're worth checking out, and would also just like to talk to someone about the country generally. If you're willing to spare a few minutes of your time to talk to me, please shoot me a pm. I will be rifle hunting the week of September 15, and plan to backpack hunt. Thanks.

bcmulie

tj,

Sorry buddy, I am not a pro in H, I just gave him some general stuff about the country. You can ask bc about it? I do not feel the little bit I gave him would be fair to pass around? You can ask him though.

No, I am not hunting there. That mountain is for younger guys than me.;-)

Good luck, with some sore legs and a little luck a big one can be had.

Thanks Overton - I sent you one back.

Thanks for your latest, too, ktc - I will keep that in mind.

Huntertj, I'll try to give you a call tomorrow, but it's been pretty hectic at work. I'm happy to share what ktc has told me, since we will be hunting at different times, and I'll be there first! :)

bcmulie

BCmulie,

Did we run into you on the evening of the 15th? You were headed in and we were on our way out? You were solo and there were 3 of us from Salt Lake? We stopped to chat for a brief minute. How'd you do on your hunt?

BUL_KRZY

BC

We are waiting for the report. Are you back home? If so tell us about the hunt.
I think I forgot to mention the grizzly bears. I hope you didn't get et (ate).

Ransom

Bul_krzy,

Yes, that could have been me. I did go in the evening of the 16th, and ran into 3 guys coming out. Did I ask you about whether the trail connected back to the road? If so, that was me.

Ransom, I shot a nice mistake buck, but not what I was hoping for. I passed up a bunch of 140-160 class bucks the first couple of days. Day 3 I spotted a nice even 5x5 (4x4 with eyeguards) that was about 27-28" wide and would have scored about 175. He was heading down into the timber and I rushed my stalk. He busted me at a little over 400 yards and I missed him as he was looking straight up at me (when I got home I went to the range, and my rifle was shooting about 5" to the right at 200 yards - probably enough to result in a clean miss at 400 yards. Not sure what knocked my scope off line).

I watched the buck walk off with a bunch of smaller bucks and does through the spotter, and he definitely wasn't hit. I ran across the mountain to get ahead of him and ran into the whole group of them just as they were about to head into the dark timber. Most of the group were behind a clump of trees, but two bucks came out into the open - the big one (so I thought) and a small 2 or 3 pt. I wacked the big one, and walked up to a heavy, 24" wide 3 point that scores right at the 150" mark. What really added insult to injury was that I had passed up this same buck twice the day before, and had even talked to another hunter who'd also seen and passed up this buck.

Here's a pick of the buck that I shot:

47105d0f4a3a86e8.jpg

Here's a pic of him the day before, the first time I passed him up:

47105db44b962f20.jpg

What can I say - another lesson learned, and another big buck lives another day.

bcmulie

bcmulie,

late on the reply here from this end.... nice job on a good buck! That was us that you asked about the trail connecting. Glad to see you saw some good deer. We ended up moving our camp to an area we are more familiar with. Still didn't see any monsters, but one of the 3 of us took a decent buck with good character. 26" with double cheaters. The other two of us ate tag soup!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom