regulations info

madmoose

im a non-res from north idaho, just trying to get the run down on non-res application for pronghorn.(or deer,elk if not diff.)

i have read the regs.im just still a little lost on the pref. point system. im only seeing point info in the elk section.

is there a time you can only buy a point?
does the non-res buy a hunting license then apply for controlled hunt?

if someone has a min. to give me a laymans term run down that would be great.

You have to buy a hunting license then you can buy a preference point between Jan. and May. If you have no points in Oregon already look at the draw odds on there website in the preference points section. Why I say this is the only way you can draw as a non resident is off of preference points. By this I mean all of the 5% that the non res. can draw of deer and elk tags will go to the ones with the most points. They F&G take the 5% out of the preference pool first so in most units you have no chance of getting a tag in the random draw. Of that 5% the outfitters get first crack at half of those 5% of tags. So unless you just want to hunt deer which most units can be drawn with a few points I would not waste my money because Most good elk tags are taking 9 points or more right now to draw. Antelope is in the 10 points and up range. So you may never live long enough to draw because everyone above you will draw first. So the amount of points it takes to draw goes up every year.

Just my 2 cents

"So unless you just want to hunt deer which most units can be drawn with a few points I would not waste my money because Most good elk tags are taking 9 points or more right now to draw. Antelope is in the 10 points and up range. So you may never live long enough to draw because everyone above you will draw first. So the amount of points it takes to draw goes up every year."

+1 I couldn't agree more. In fact, if you look at Ron Wold's latest projections (http://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/) under the "years to draw" section, you'll see that a there are a number of hunts in Oregon that are now essentially unattainable unless you already have a base level of points. Look particularly at antelope. Many of the decent hunts are listed as 20+ years to draw. I won't speak for everyone but it would seem strange to me to wait 25 years to hunt anything... kind of sad, really.

thanks for the input. thats pretty sad..couldnt imagine 20 years for a freakin pronghorn tag.. pretty sad.

thats nothing, look at Wenaha Archery Elk NR.

One tag every other year and 200 applicants. Seriously, why would a NR even bother?

Back
Top Bottom