Reloading Question "Crimping"

pls009

I'm a beginner! I'm reloading .243 Win's and after I figure this out a little more I would like to move on to other calibers. I'm having a hard time with crimping. Do I need to crimp? Every so often I crimp a case too much and ruin it. I was talking to a guy that reloads .223's and he mentioned that he doesn't crimp at all - so it got me wondering if I need to.

Only rifle rounds I crimp (and most people)are those that go into a tubular magazine (like a model 94) and for those I like to use Lee factory crimp dies....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Some guys like crimping, some don't. I personally don't crimp. However if it is something you decide you want to do, you need to start with cases that are all trimmed to the same length, that will make it much easier.

Calif_Mike

no crimping required unless it is going in a tube feed magazine but I have heard of some guys doing it to improve accuracy. If you do you should start low and work up as I understand pressures can be affected with a crimp.

I suppose they could be guessing at the amount they are increasing neck tension by increasing the crimp for accuracy. Better to just buy a bushing neck die and the proper bushings.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom