Remington 700ml, DANGER

DonVathome

Very Active Member
My remington 700ml just scared the crap out of me.

I was shooting, 3rd shoot. Loaded gun and was pretty sure I cocked bolt but did it again to double check. Closed bolt and gun went off instantly. Luckily I was pointing it downrange but I am seriously freaked out.

I am 100% sure nothing was even close to the trigger. 1 or 2 years ago the trigger had turned into a hair trigger and I got it worked on (adjusted trigger pull). I suspect that it got super light and the simple vibration from bolt set it off.

Either way I am really concerned. I read here about someone who had one when he clicked the safety off it would go off.

This has me really concerned. Obviously I am going to take it to a gunsmith but wow, not sure if I can ever trust it again.

I'm assuming the 700ml has the same or similar trigger assembly as the regular 700 rifles. If so I would blame it on the rework of the factory trigger and taking down too light. It happens quite often. I don't know if it's an option with the muzzleloader but if you want a lighter trigger on it I would look into a jewel or timney.

I do not want a light trigger. The trigger go light on its own, over time. I noticed it on a NM elk hunt and jury rigged. I got the trigger worked on to make it harder last time I used it. I think it got lighter again - very quickly on its own. I read a guy here had a similar experience, trigger got lighter and lighter.

I think I need a new trigger for sure, if nothing else for piece of mind!

Rem. 700s has a long history of faulty triggers. Someone working on it may have made it worse. Replace the factory trigger with a good aftermarket trigger from Brownells.

RELH

I do plan to contact Remington. The problem happens almost evry time now. Also if I work bolt with safety on, when I click the safety off it goes off. Scary.

Thanks for info I am getting a new trigger!

Whatever you do!

Don't ever tell the Gal at Remington you've ever put WD-40 on the Gun!

JUDAS!

Got My Ass Chewed for an Hour!

It's gotta be REM-OIL Only!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I'd go ahead and replace that trigger ASAP. I had one of my old 700s go off on me in a similar manner right next to my head when I was younger. Safety would slip off too easy too.

I got it fixed then sold the gun and moved on. It freaked me out all the time and I just didn't want to be worried about it all the time.

My Remington 700 did almost exactly the same thing 4 years ago. I contacted Remington, I'm not sure it was the same women but she gave me the speech about it wasn't the fault of Remington because owners were using WD-40 I had only used gun oil on my gun. She asked what kind and it was Beretta because I was shooting a Beretta trap gun, that then became the problem. I replaced the trigger with a Timney and sold the gun. I warned the guy I sold it to I couldn't trust it he still has it an hasn't had a problem. I don't own a Remington and won't.

Do NOT send your 700 back to Remington for the trigger recall. Just buy a Timney or Jewell and replace it yourself.

I have to agree with WapitiBob. Remington will only replace it with another factory trigger that has proven to have design faults. The Timney trigger is very reasonable in price and very reliable and adjustable. The Jewell is higher in price but everyone who uses it seem to love it.

RELH

I am going to go against the grain here a bit even though i respect all of the above opinions.

When you said, "1 or 2 years ago the trigger had turned into a hair trigger and I got it worked on (adjusted trigger pull)."

That right there, IMO, releases Remington of any responsibility. I believe that "most" trigger issues that you read about or are told about in gatherings, are the result of guys working on their or others triggers, that don't have a clue what they are doing.

At this point though, i do agree. Replace and start over.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

+3 what the last 2 guys said:
grab either trigger and you will be a happy camper.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I bet is a combination of things. Maybe adjusted wrong. But I do know that Remington has blamed dirt and gumming. Black powder and black powder substitutes are way dirtier than smokless and there is some venting of it out the flash hole no matter what. You probabally should pay more attention to cleaning the trigger, taking it out of the stock to get at it better. etc with a muzzleloader. Maybe not the problem but worth a look.

Thanks guys. I am NOT a sure happy guy - I feel our country is way overboard with that stuff. That said I cannot believe they have not been sued - and likely will be, and, this is rare for me to say. They should be.

To replace a trigger with another "bad" trigger is INSANE.

I am very careful with guns and very conscious - but a gun that goes of when cocked (if safety is off) AND goes off when the safety is turned off (if cocked with safety on) is really bad news. Even really safe guys can make a mistake - especially when excited in the field.

90% of the time my gun goes off as described above. I keep it really clean. There is NO excuse for Remington replacing the trigger with another bad trigger. NONE. I love Remington guns but...............

Remington has been sued several times over their faulty trigger in the model-700. I have heard of several that won the lawsuit against Remington where it resulted in the death of a person or severe injury. Most accidental discharges happen when the gun was taken off safe or fired when bolt was closed.

The designer of the trigger for Remington, I believe his name was Walker, even admitted that the design had a fault and tried to get Remington to replace the trigger with a improvement. He also advised Remington to recall the rifles for repairs and Remington failed to do that until they started losing lawsuits in court. I still do not know if there was ever a recall of the rifles made with faulty trigger design. Remington did not want to put out the money that such a recall would require.

To this day I do not know if Remington changed the design or improved the trigger to make it reliable. As a result I have done the same as Cornhusker, I will not buy a Remington 700.

RELH

Come on RELH!

That'd be Like You Sayin You'll never buy another Ford!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-14 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]I'll take any unwanted unsafe Remington 700 rifles. Of course at drastically reduced price as they are defective. mtmuley

Don,

I had the same problem with mine. It would go off when I closed my bolt! Not a good feeling when shooting at a public range. I never touched the factory trigger. Sent it back to Remington for repair. Not sure what they did to fix it. Been too scared to shoot it since I got it back! Maybe one day I will give it another try. Yeah right! It has been sitting in my safe ever since probably for 3 or 4 years now. Maybe one of these days I will drop in an after market trigger and give it another go...

Horniac

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-14 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]Most "defective" triggers had seen a file or allen wrench.
Others, and the point of the recall is an excessive amount of thread locker that interfered with the mechanism.
I had no problem shooting my rem 700 trigger but got tired of feeling it drop over the edge of the sear and replaced it. You can replace the 700 trigger in about 15 minutes as a first timer.

The reason I said not to send it back is the turn around time was/is taking months, not because the new triggers were bad. There is a world of difference between my old factory trigger and the Jewell though.

What is a jlock? There is a black plastic shroud

I never used thread locker, only had it worked on when it turned into a ultra sensitive hair trigger on its own.

I watched my buddies Remington 700 go off one morning by simply releasing the safety.
After a quick discussion with my wife, I took my two boys Remington 700's to the pawn shop and sold them.
Replaced them with two Weatherby Vanguard's.
I couldn't take the chance!

I think the lawsuits are all related to the older ones with the Walker Fire Control system. Your 700 ML may or may not be old enough to have it or a new trigger design. The claim is that Remington knew that tolerance stack up on some low percentage of the rifles could cause the connector to get stuck when dirty and not come back to position to hold the sear properly or at all. It would have cost less than a dollar more each to change to a design that did not use the connector. They eventually changed to a different trigger design. Remington supposedly made an economic decision not to recall millions of rifles and install new triggers knowing some small percentage could fire without the trigger pulled with a slight bump or when the safety was flipped off. Search "Defective Remington Trigger" and see that there is a list of personal injury attorneys chomping at the bit to sue.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-14 AT 02:23PM (MST)[p]You experienced what they call a slam fire.Same thing happened to my brother on a model 700.Almost cost him a trophy bull. The problem resulted from a gunsmiths trying to fool with a factory trigger that was not designed to be light.Easy, yet expensive fix, would be to get a jewel trigger and never look back. Inexpensive fix would be to have them send you a factory trigger and for heaven sake leave it at the factory pull weight.

A slam fire is in a semi auto with floating firing pin. The actual momentum of the firing pin causes it to hit the primer hard enough when the bolt is stopped to close. This is an issue with the sear not holding the firing pin as it should. I think Don wrote that he did not mess with the trigger until he noticed the gun going off without touching the trigger.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-14 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]>You experienced what they call a
>slam fire.Same thing happened to
>my brother on a model
>700.Almost cost him a trophy
>bull. The problem resulted from
>a gunsmiths trying to fool
>with a factory trigger that
>was not designed to be
>light.Easy, yet expensive fix, would
>be to get a jewel
>trigger and never look back.
>Inexpensive fix would be to
>have them send you a
>factory trigger and for heaven
>sake leave it at the
>factory pull weight.

What you described him having is not a slam fire in any way, shape, or form. I don't believe we even know what trigger Don has in his ML. The centerfire rifles made with the X Mark Pro replaced the Walker trigger in 06-07 and there is a recall on all of them. Remington has never issued a total recall on all the rifles that were made from the late 40s up until they changed triggers.

Definition of Slamfire: A slamfire is a premature, usually unintended discharge of a firearm that occurs as a round is being loaded into the chamber. Slamfires are most common in military firearms that have a free-floating firing pin, as opposed to a spring-loaded one. In the action of a typical semi-automatic firearm, the energy of a fired round forces the bolt and bolt carrier rearward, ejecting the empty case. A spring then forces the bolt forward again, and in the process a fresh round is stripped out of the magazine. When the face of the bolt hits the head of the chamber, unless there is a spring around the pin to retard its movement, inertia causes the firing pin to continue forward until it is stopped on the primer of the round. Sometimes this inertial force is sufficient to set off the primer, thereby firing the round without the operator pulling the trigger. In semi- or fully automatic firearms this can potentially cause the firearm to fire continuously until the magazine has been emptied or the firearm malfunctions.

>The factory put on too much
>thread locker.

WB is talking about the newer X Mark Pro triggers that are under a total recall in this post.

I have the original factory trigger that was NEVER adjusted and well maintained.

I took it in because on its own the trigger got REALLY sensitive - to the point of being unusable. I had the gunsmith turn up the trigger pull - only because I had to!

Note the current recall does not affect my gun. My gun is older but I have not shot it a lot. Not nearly enough to have a life threatening trigger issue from a well maintained firearm.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom