Remmington Model 721

F

fishfearme

Back in the early 1970's my dad traded an old truck for a used Remmington Model 721 in a 270 caliber, which became my first rifle. It was my only rifle for many years and I had many great hunts with it. I now primarily use another gun, but always have the 270 in camp for a back up.

That old gun has a lot of memories for me, but I would like to dress it up a little. The stock is about as basic as they come and really not much to look at. I've been considering putting a new stock on it, and done a little internet shopping. Model 700's and model 720's are plentiful, but I can't find the 721.

I've heard that a 720 stock can be modified to fit a 721 with minimal alteration. Is that true and is it within the capabilities of someone who's reasonably intelligent, but with no gun smithing background?

Also, I've heard that the trigger guard and possibly the trigger can be upgraded to make a 721 nearly identical to the 720.

Some of you guys know a whole lot more about these things than I do. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Couple years ago my uncle gave me his old 722 in 300 Savage for my oldest boy to use. 722 is the short action version of the 721. My grandfather's 721 270 is still in service with my other uncle, great ol rifle. Our 722 was produced in an era when guys where just as likely to use aperture or open sights as a scope, so the drop on the comb is a little on the low side and uncomfortable (for a smaller framed shooter like my son) for scope mounting. Action dimensions between the 721, 722, and the 700 short and long actions are essentially identical. I picked up a beautiful finished short action mag BDL(magnum barrel contour on the barrel channel, WSM etc.) from Boyds and dropped it right in. With the magnum contour on the stock I did not have to do any inletting around the "flare" where the rear sight goes, there is a little gap around the barrel forward of the rear sight which means it's free floated nicely and I can live with that. The safety is positioned slighly different and I had to remove a tiny amount of wood with an exacto knife, no big deal. The action screws are located in the same place so the 722 bottom metal went right on. Rifle shot very well so I did not bother bedding the action, though I would do so if you switch stocks and notice a degredation in accuracy. I've been meaning to but have not gotten around to picking up a hinged floorplate for a 700 BDL and converting it over, can't imagine it would be a major hassle.

I have a 721 that I bought to build into a long range shooter. I found a used M700 Sendaro stock and it was exactly what I wanted. I had to open the inletting up a little around the safety, but that was it. A skim bedding job and it rests in there perfectly.

My son has his Grandfather's Rem. 721 and I modified it with a sny. 700 stock and used a aftermarket model 700 floor plate assembly and magazine box to upgrade to a M-700.
No major alterations required and very simple to do. Might need some minor fitting of the stock in the action area and floor plate.
I even opened the bolt face for a magnum and converted it from 30-06 to 300 Win. mag. That will require gunsmith work unless you have a lathe and machinist experience.

RELH

Besides what the others have said,you will have to inlet the barrel channel to accomadate the rear sight boss on the 721.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom