Rescue in Alaska

What an amazing story, but with an even more amazing message about America and its absolute commitment to the “single, unsung citizen”.

To think of the time and collective human effort, the refined and detailed ability, not to mention the billions expended to have the capacity and the stills to do it, at the moment of need, is almost too much to comprehend. And all for two unknown, unharolded, simple citizens, who put their own life’s in peril…. over nothing more important than sport hunting.

If that doesn’t tell you what the heart and soul of this country is, I can’t imagine what will. If you don’t think this is extraordinary and exemplary, I can’t image what is. Those that want to destroy, make over, trash or hate America………. sorry……. you’re wrong…….. and given more encouragement and more support she can be even better.

I’ll make you a bet, not one time did anyone involved in that rescue ask, what race, religion, gender or age are those two.

Well done America, well done indeed!

LOL! how dumb do you have to be? i can hear the conversation now

:"think we can make it down there bill?"

well Larry, we are both wearing brand new kuiu gear, should be fine"

couple of D bags. glad their ok but more glad they didn't get someone trying to rescue their dumb asses killed

Honestly I can see how this could happen to a good smart sheep hunter. I'm not saying this is what happened but I can see how one person falls and the other person get themselves in trouble trying to save the person.

I have a set of OL from 1953 to 1983. Loved those stories.
It was the first section I turned to every month.

Founder should hire someone with pencil art skills and have a monthly contest, where members would submit This Happened To Me experiences, Founder and the artist could pick the winner, sketch up the 6 frame art images and post the winner. The other stories get shared as normal text posts.

Why should Founder go to the trouble? It would increase internet viewers/guests, increase membership, increase participation, add clicks and ultimately draw advertisers. He could go so far as offering a monthly add sponsor or for a much higher price an annual add sponsor.

If not Founder, the door is wide open for some younger enterprising hunter/fisherman to start a web site and build it up around a new age This Happened To Me monthly posting.

Maybe SS! should do it……….. except nothing unusual ever happens to him, so he may not be able to relate. ?

Another example of American exceptionalism, it builds its rescue system to protect the individual rescuer as well as the one being rescued. Sh!t happens, plan on it. They do, and they get better everyday.

I have 2 old copies of Outdoor Life. June 1942 and November 1942. This Happened to Me was a thing back then too.

The one in June 1942 starts out.."I was minding my own business on December 7th,1941. I was stationed on the Arizona in Pearl Harbor when I heard an airplane..."

Okay, I lied about that part. It was about a bear attack.

That's sketchy. I think many of us have pushed the limits a time of two and looked back and shook our heads. Mine was a solo hunt for elk. I slipped on a super steep hillside that I had no right being on and slid 100+ feet before smacking into a tree. The smack hurt, but not until the adrenaline rush tapered off. By then, I was head for my vehicle. I'm very lucky that I didn't get severely injured that day. It happens.

LOL! how dumb do you have to be? i can hear the conversation now

:"think we can make it down there bill?"

well Larry, we are both wearing brand new kuiu gear, should be fine"

couple of D bags. glad their ok but more glad they didn't get someone trying to rescue their dumb asses killed

My deer hunting camp had the county sheriff in it, who got the joy of never making it through opening weekend because of what you just said. Generally some Californian with absolutely no buisness ever leaving pavement.

The rescuers sacrifice a lot to save stupid people. Accidents happen, but true accidents are the minor exception in that buisness

Guide: Hey, see that peak? Only 10 men ever have been up there... I'm one of them and I'll take ya up there since we're so close.

Hunter: Lemme just hit this Mtn Ops first...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom