residency question

S

sagarcher

I will be moving to WA in May after living in AZ for 26 years. I have a current 2004 AZ Resident Hunting and Fishing License. WA guidelines for residency only require 90 days...I'd be a resident in time to hunt Elk in late August and Deer in the fall. BUT, will my AZ 04 residency disqualify me from hunting as a resident in WA? Can you renounce or destroy your license from another state when you move to a new one after a certain time period? I'm not trying to cut any corners or sidestep any laws, I just need to know. If I can't hunt WA as a resident until next year I'm going to go ahead and put in as a resident in AZ for elk and deer. Thanks to anybody who has been through this or knows what the deal is.

Very good question.. I have no idea, what I would do is call the Game and Fish on both WA and here in AZ and ask them. I am sure they will know the answers

It shouldnt matter. As long as you have established residency for 90 continuous days, your status in another state really has no effect on your elligibility to hunt here in WA. That is, unless you are a convicted fellon.
Where in WA are ya moving?
Eric

PolarBear,
I'm moving to Clearview in Snohomish County, it's off of Route 9 about 30 minutes north of downtown Seattle. It's also very close to the Snohomish and Snoqualimie Rivers, do they get any Steelhead or Salmon in the summertime?

I live in Bothell maybe 15 minutes from Clearview...Steelhead and salmon runs have been really good the last couple years...I haven't fished for a couple years but plenty of my buddies do and they have done well....What is bringing you to Washington???

think you can hunt both states as a resident.
but i would'nt want to bet my vehical, gun, house, on it.
can you get a proof of residency withut changing your drivers liscenes?

My friends are re-starting their dog/boarding business..."Pet Pals" and just bought a 5 acres for the dogs to run...they are pretty busy and I 'll live and work with them until it gets old or I can find a "professional" job. Thanks for the info on the fishing...
In regards to proff of residency, I got a WA D.L. when I was visiting Clearview two weeks ago, just in case...

this is from the regs...

Residency Requirements
Residency means a person who has been a bona fide resident
of the state of Arizona for six months immediately preceding the
date of application for a license, or a member of the armed
forces who has been stationed in Arizona for a period of 30 days
immediately preceding the date of application for a license.
Arizona residents may purchase a resident license. All other
individuals must purchase a non-resident license.

Obtain License or Permit By Fraud
(A.R.S. 17-341) Page 51
Only persons who have been a bona fide resident (pg. 4 and
49) of Arizona for a minimum of six months, or members of
the Armed Forces stationed in Arizona for a minimum of 30
days, may obtain resident licenses and permits. Factors that
may establish residency would include most, if not all of the
following: a resident is considered to be someone who primarily
or permanently resides in Arizona, possesses an Arizona
drivers license and registers their vehicles in Arizona, maintains a home in Arizona, votes in Arizona and pays Arizona
resident income taxes. A person cannot be considered a
resident of two states at the same time.

A.R.S. 17-340
Revocation, suspension and denial of right to
obtain license; notice; violation; classification
A. Upon conviction and in addition to other penalties prescribed
by this title, the commission, after a public
hearing, may revoke or suspend a license issued to any
person under this title and deny the person the right to
secure another license to take wildlife for a period of not
to exceed five years for:
6. A violation of section 17-303, 17-304 or 17-341.

Once you move out of state you are required to change your car plates within 60 days some states its 30, you will then have to get a new DL licence as well...

You might be able to hunt WA as a NR and hunt AZ as a resident, but that might be pushing it... since once you move there you are maintaining your home in WA you will be considered a resident. I wouldn't want to loose my hunting rights over it!

I called the game & fish here in AZ and the wildlife department in WA. The lady at AZGFD said I could still put in for the AZ fall draw as a resident since I already had the license, I would just need to pay non-resident tag fees (if I can even get drawn). I will have no problem hunting in WA as a resident, but I will need to officially revoke my AZ license. This could be tricky if I get lucky and am holding a non-resident elk or deer tag in AZ. I think I will just revoke my license in AZ.
The lady I spoke with in WA said they get calls at least three times a week regarding license dealers who have questions about the validity of people's residence and whether or not they are resident hunters in OTHER states. With computer records this question is easy to answer. As Bambistew pointed out, the penalties are harsh.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom