Response from Senator Hatch on wolves

utahbigbull

March 12, 2012

Mr. Robert xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hooper, UT 84315-9716

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx:

I, like you, am deeply frustrated to find out that there is a pack of wolves in Utah County. I want you to know that I am leading the fight in Congress to solve this problem. For the past two years I have been working with Don Peay, and sportsmen in Utah and across the country to delist wolves in the United States. The Gray Wolf is not endangered and we do not want this species in Utah. I feel that this work is critical to protecting wildlife and livestock alike, not to mention the lives of people in our great state.

We had a major victory last spring when we passed legislation through the Congress which delisted wolves in the Northern Rocky Mountains. We also had a small victory last week when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) released their 5 year plan for wolves, and Utah was not included as natural Mexican wolf habitat. While these victories were important, if we already have wolves or hybrid wolves in our state, there is still work to do.

I have already spoken with top officials at the USFWS here in Washington about this new development in Utah. I expressed my deep concerns that we have now discovered wolves in Utah and our own wildlife managers are limited on what they can do with them. The USFWS committed to me that they would start working with our state wildlife managers immediately. The law that was passed last year gives the USFWS the authority to move these wolves. I expect them to act accordingly as quickly as possible.

I appreciate your input and we would not be winning in this effort without the support of you and all of the sportsmen from Utah and across the country. I will not rest until wolves are delisted and the State of Utah has all of the authorities needed to manage these animals and protect our big game and livestock herds, and our western way of life.

Thank you.
Your Senator,
Orrin G. Hatch
United States Senator

you like him because he is working with Don Peay? why would he drop his name like he is celebrity?

I stated on one of these forums a couple of years ago that until wolves started taking a toll on Utah and Colorado big game, nothing would be done.

6 senators from 3 small states do not represent a big enough voting block. Add Utah and Colorado, and their quality hunting, the Congress would take a stand.

I didn't include Oregon and Washington because they are on the coast and will probably embrace the wolf.

And California?????? OR7, our recent visitor was a celebrity. Just wish a tree hugger had tried to give old OR7 a hug. :)

I wonder why he didn't say that he was working with Don Peay to stop the delisting of wolves for Montana and Idaho? Don Peay hasn't done anything to solve the wolf problem. It's too good of a money train for him.

I wanted to take a scalp,but the kill was not mine.

Senator Hatch has been a huge part in the fight to delist wolves and change the ESA. I have been in meetings with his staff. Like Hatch or not, he has done a great job for sportsmen. And yes Don and Ryan Benson have been working with Senator Hatch, Lee and others to get wolves delisted.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom