Results of my 4th season 67 deer hunt last week-pic

buckhunter64

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-19 AT 05:33PM (MST)[p]Well the stars aligned and I was able to travel 20 hours west from Mississippi to Gunnison with my 82 year old father as a companion. Have a very sick Father in law and was not sure if I was going to be called back home during hunt but I am the one that turned sick myself while I was there(will get to that). Arrived Monday and scouted 1/2 day as well as all day Tuesday before season opener on Wednesday. Scouted several areas on the west side of unit from top to bottom burning a lot of gas and putting some suspension wear on my new truck! Saw a lot of deer where we saw deer, and NO deer in places where we saw no deer. I am a veteran whitetail and public land Eastern turkey hunter, but this was only my second attempt muley hunting so I am a rookie in that regard.The first trip in 2011 I accompanied my dad to Unit 2 and helped him kill a 175 deer. As you can see from my post back in June my expectations were a 160 or better since it was a DIY hunt. I have had a couple bad experiences with outfitters and try to avoid them if possible which is why I wanted this tag for easy terrain/access. I am not a strict trophy hunter, and don't care if that offends anyone. As a matter of fact I will not score the deer I shot. Everybody told me that was a low goal to set for this tag. On day 1 of hunt I got a case of the Scours and crapped behind every rock on Huntsman Mesa, and I used white toilet paper to blend in with the snow and keep my presence unknown! Saw a lot of deer and a couple medium sized bucks but nothing to knock the safety off. Day 2 started and I began seeing deer in every direction at shooting light from the high rockpile I sat on. At 7 am I spotted a buck trotting across a wide open flat from 7-800 yards away headed to me and cut him off at 50 yards and initially passed him, but a minute later I got a good view of his best side and decided with the way I felt and an easy retrieval spot I better harvest my first muley buck. A 250 yard broadside shot got him and a downhill drag to truck wasn't bad. Got him to a processor by 11 am and checked out of motel. That is when I turned VERY sick and started puking violently in addition to my previous disorder. Rode 20 hours back home with numerous roadside emergency bathroom stops and accidents. When I got home my dad ended up getting the virus as well as my mother and wife. Enough about that. I am glad to be out of the points game and am very proud of my $1600 DIY muley buck. Thanks to the 2 guys on here that helped me with pre hunt info, you know who you are. This buck may not score well, but he was as long as a Cadillac and weighed as much as one!!!!
5909muleybuck1.jpg

Nice deer congrats. Can?t beat that for non guided. Did U consider going guided for that hunt. I'm considering that unit as well but I've thought about going w/outfitter. Any comments would be appreciated. Again a great buck

Chuck,
Nice Buck Congratulations

Snow for this hunt would of helped a lot I had a sunburned face after Friday very unusual weather for this time of the year for Gunnison
Hope you and the whole family are feeling better

Congrats on your buck. You checked all of your boxes and didn't have to worry about killing a buck during the worst of your situation.

Cool buck, cool picture, esp with the moon in the background

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Congrats on a nice buck. Looks like a lot of deer jerky laying there! Big bodied dude.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom