Retuning Early Manti Rifle Tag

SlinginLead

It took me 28 years to finally obtain a Limited Entry early rifle Bull
elk tag, but I have decided to turn it back in due to medical/physical issues.
I had my 3rd back surgery last September with hopes of regaining a severe loss of leg strength. The surgery was a partial success, with my leg strength gaining
about 60%-70% of what was lost. But I am still not there yet for what it will take for an Elk hunt. I am planning for a 4th surgery the first of the year to address what I hope will be my last operation! If all goes well, I will apply next year and get after it!
I'm sure the 1st alternate on the list is going to be super excited!! Best of luck to the other tag holders!!

It took me 28 years to finally obtain a Limited Entry early rifle Bull
elk tag, but I have decided to turn it back in due to medical/physical issues.
I had my 3rd back surgery last September with hopes of regaining a severe loss of leg strength. The surgery was a partial success, with my leg strength gaining
about 60%-70% of what was lost. But I am still not there yet for what it will take for an Elk hunt. I am planning for a 4th surgery the first of the year to address what I hope will be my last operation! If all goes well, I will apply next year and get after it!
I'm sure the 1st alternate on the list is going to be super excited!! Best of luck to the other tag holders!!
Sorry to hear that, but probably the best approach given your health situation. Best of luck on the 4th surgery and hope all goes well so you can kill a great bull in 2024!!

From what I've heard from guys that know that unit well, this looks to be a down year for antler size. Maybe this will be for the best!

Turning back that tag is tough given the time it has taken to earn it. I hope you are able to get some kind of medical waver to get a point for this year. It would be even tougher if you can't draw again for several years.
Most elk hunts are pretty physical, unless you go with an outfitter that has horses. I hope you can get to the point that the physical part is not a huge obstacle.
Someone will be thrilled due to your bad fortune but we wish you the best going forward.

That's a bummer!!! Hopefully the next surgery does the trick and you can get after it next year. Back issues are really crappy.

In 2009, I herniated a disc that had my left leg nearly completely numb. I could barely use it. Got in for surgery immediately, but for 8 weeks I was thinking it'd never be good again. Finally 6 weeks after the surgery, it was getting better. Still have numbness in my upper leg, calf and numb outside of foot, but all good for the most part.

What happened to your back?

I truly hope your plan works out.! My father had knee replacement surgery 18 months ago and he decided not to put in for a guaranteed elk tag last year... skip to this year, his knee is working great and he drew the tag he wanted. I hope your situation goes just as well.!!

That's a bummer!!! Hopefully the next surgery does the trick and you can get after it next year. Back issues are really crappy.

In 2009, I herniated a disc that had my left leg nearly completely numb. I could barely use it. Got in for surgery immediately, but for 8 weeks I was thinking it'd never be good again. Finally 6 weeks after the surgery, it was getting better. Still have numbness in my upper leg, calf and numb outside of foot, but all good for the most part.

What happened to your back?
From the looks of things, I can gain my bonus points back as long as I surrender my permit 30 days before the season starts, along with the required paperwork. So, I should get back the 27 points I had going into the draw.
My back issues go back 25-30 years. Back when I would actively frame houses, hang solid core doors, lift PSL'S and GLU-Lams in place when we should have used a crane or a Tommy-Lift! I have had all the Lumbar region discs operated on one time or another.
Procedures were mostly Microdisectmies due to blown discs.
Last procedure was to relieve pressure from three disc and deal with stenosis in a fourth discs. I have nerve damage in my right foot which has resulted in neuropathy. My next surgery will be to fuse the L5-S1 discs. After that one, I'm done!!! I just want my ability to hike all day long like I used to do. I'll be 68 next year, so that doesn't help me much either. I have a boat load of points in Utah, Arizona, Colorado and Nevada to cash in. I hope I can still walk by then!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

From the looks of things, I can gain my bonus points back as long as I surrender my permit 30 days before the season starts, along with the required paperwork. So, I should get back the 27 points I had going into the draw.
My back issues go back 25-30 years. Back when I would actively frame houses, hang solid core doors, lift PSL'S and GLU-Lams in place when we should have used a crane or a Tommy-Lift! I have had all the Lumbar region discs operated on one time or another.
Procedures were mostly Microdisectmies due to blown discs.
Last procedure was to relieve pressure from three disc and deal with stenosis in a fourth discs. I have nerve damage in my right foot which has resulted in neuropathy. My next surgery will be to fuse the L5-S1 discs. After that one, I'm done!!! I just want my ability to hike all day long like I used to do. I'll be 68 next year, so that doesn't help me much either. I have a boat load of points in Utah, Arizona, Colorado and Nevada to cash in. I hope I can still walk by then!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Wow! Sucks that you’ve had to deal with it so much.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom