Return from hog hunt and a question

ElevenBravo

Finally back from a very wet and stormy hog hunt in Texas. Was chased by a storm coming out of Wyoming that blanketed Denver in 2 feet of snow, then ran into a string of Texas thunderstorms that culminated in rain, wind, hail and tornado warnings.

As I like to say "I kill everything I shoot, but the wife kills everything she sees". Mrs. 11B shot a 92 pound hog at 90 yards, 2 piglets with 1 shot at 100 yards, and cored out a rabbit longways with her .308 at 100 yards. All on her first day. She took out 2 more hogs the next day. One of them had some unusual fur, it wasn't hairy like other hogs, this had muttonchops and curls. We're getting this one mounted.

2132curly.jpg

Here's what I'm puzzling over: I normally use my Tikka 300 WSM, but decided to take my Ruger Scout in .308 Win for this hunt, mainly because the Tikka does way too much damage at close ranges, the scope is too powerful for close up work, and the barrel is too long in the dense brush where I hunt. The Scout is loaded with handloads using Hornady 150gr InterLocks.

So I'm set up in the swamp and run into this 215 pounder with some big ol'cutters at about 5 yards. As soon as I see him I'm wondering if I should have brought the Tikka instead. But this is exactly what the Scout is for, and put one directly into the hog's boiler room. The hog just looks at me as if to say "OH NO YOU DIDN'T JUST SHOOT ME WITH YOUR LITTLE POP GUN", then trots off a short distance as if he didn't even get shot at, and stops. The muzzle blast didn't even scare him. So I put another one in his chest. He didn't seem to like that much and trots off about another 20 feet, then sits down. I put a third round in his chest and he finally keels over.

495620160419101942.jpg

So I'm wondering if 150gr Hornadys are sufficient for a hog this old/size even at such close range. None of the rounds exited the other side. The entire left side of his chest was completely shredded, but I'm wondering if he would have gone down from just a single shot.

This Ain't a Hog!

But Never seen a Hog that could handle more than one Round out of the 375 RUM!

2617damage1.jpg

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

I would use a better constructed bullet. At that range the bullet should have exited on a hog of that size, indicating it blew up inside the chest cavity.
Another factor to remember on hogs is that their vitals are further forward in the body then most other animals. The heart is just behind the front leg and the lungs are also further forward.

RELH

I agree relh. Hornady bullets are not a good combo for a large pig but .308 is plenty caliber. Switch your bullet and you will mess those piggies up proper.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-16 AT 06:28AM (MST)[p]Almost looks like that top hog got crossed with a javelina if that were possible. Our butcher used to dispatch our domestic hogs with a 22lr. 308's plenty, relh's right.

I saw a friend do the same but lost the Hog. He used a 7mm Rem Mag. Ear and neck shots are what the rest of the group told him is the best spot to hit. They never move when hit there.
RELH is correct.
A Veterinarian told an FFA group (different time/place) it has to do with their ability to COOL the Heart and Blood by laying down in Mud. Such vitals being forward and low is close to the wet ground/air for cooling.

>I would use a better constructed
>bullet. At that range the
>bullet should have exited on
>a hog of that size,
>indicating it blew up inside
>the chest cavity.
> Another factor to
>remember on hogs is that
>their vitals are further forward
>in the body then most
>other animals. The heart is
>just behind the front leg
>and the lungs are also
>further forward.

Yep, I was expecting an exit wound at that range. Figured maybe the bullet was too light as a lot of people say that Interlocks are sufficient for hunting and they're cheap. I only use them for the Scout as it's not my primary hunting rifle. Looks like I may have to do up a recipe for either Accubonds or Barnes Triple Shocks.

11Bravo, for that 308 I would also consider the Nosler Partition in 150 or 165 gr. weight. If you hit light bone or no bone in the chest cavity, the front part will expand very well and create a good size wound channel. It will also expand at low velocity speed out at 500-700 yards. If you hit large bone, the rear 2/3 of the bullet will stay together and should exit on most animals.
The bullets you mentioned are good ones, but I have seen failures with them on light skin animals, deer & antelope, where the bullet failed to hit a rib bone at distance and drilled though like a pencil. That is a rare occurrence.

RELH

Interlocks are simply not the best choice of bullets for large hogs. Simple as that.

Glad y'all had a great time down here!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom