Rhino Ironworks safes

3TOE

Very Active Member
I’m in the market to buy a safe & I have been looking at the Rhino Ironworks line. Any opinions welcome if you own one or not. Just curious to know if they are worth the $$$ as they are a bit pricey compared to others. The one that I’m looking at has an 85 minute fire rating at 1400 degrees.
818DE9BA-7CB2-4963-B911-4E09C075BF70.png

Most house fires get around 2000 degrees and your guns will be toast. You would be better off to get a cheap safe and get replacement value insurance on your firearms.
I have seen several incidents of guns removed from a safe that was in a house fire and every time they were worthless as it got hot enough to scorch the wood and destroy the heat treatment in the steel.
RELH

Most house fires get around 2000 degrees and your guns will be toast. You would be better off to get a cheap safe and get replacement value insurance on your firearms.
I have seen several incidents of guns removed from a safe that was in a house fire and every time they were worthless as it got hot enough to scorch the wood and destroy the heat treatment in the steel.
RELH
Thanks RELH, I currently have an insurance writer on most of my firearms. I really need to add some others that I have acquired over the past few years.
A friend of mine lost everything in a house fire 5 or so years ago. He had a fair amount of silver in his safe & it literally meted all of his silver together in a big glob.
The safe I have is more of a lock box than an actual safe & it doesn’t hold everything that I own. I would say that I’m looking for an upgrade, but literally any real safe would be an upgrade.

Do you know any company that will build a custom safe? I don’t like the standard sizes and I just got rid of one that was 27” deep because it took over the whole room. I can’t find any that are less than 24” deep. I would like to have one built that is about 60+” wide and 18-23” deep even if that means double doors and special anchoring. I just seems like someone could build to suit and there are plenty of people with enough guns to store that don’t want a big, tall, wide, honking safe that can’t hardly fit through most interior doors.

I agree with RELH. 60 minutes @ 1200 degrees or 85 minutes @ 1400 degrees isn't going to make much difference if the fire is 2000 degrees.

I have heard there was hundreds of "fireproof/ fire resistant" safes that left the guns looking like toast during the California Camp Fire.
I hope everyone realizes that homeowner policies usually only cover about $2,500 for guns. So get the extra insurance if you have a lot of money in guns.

I don't know anyone that custom makes safes. But you can buy two 22inch X 30 inch safes. But two small safes will cost more than one large one. But there are some advantages to two safes. Easier to move, can put them in different locations in your house.

I like the Liberty safes for a moderate priced safe. American made. I don't have one but if I was looking for a new safe I would be looking at those.

Do you know any company that will build a custom safe? I don’t like the standard sizes and I just got rid of one that was 27” deep because it took over the whole room. I can’t find any that are less than 24” deep. I would like to have one built that is about 60+” wide and 18-23” deep even if that means double doors and special anchoring. I just seems like someone could build to suit and there are plenty of people with enough guns to store that don’t want a big, tall, wide, honking safe that can’t hardly fit through most interior doors.
I don’t know of a custom safe manufacturer. I looked at a few safes locally then actually went to a store that was all that they sold. They had a few at the higher temperature rating, but I’m not looking to spend 5-6K on one. I liked the look of the Ironworks safe so that was the one I was leaning toward.

In 1953, a guy named Ray Bradbury wrote a book called '451 Farenheit'. That number is the temp at which paper ignites.

Fire protection ratings are just a guide, most are based on the internal temperature at a given external temperature.

Some safes will keep the interior temperature of the safe down to 350F for two hours at an outside temperature of 1850 or so. Is that enough? Beats me. My 75 year old two story barn burned in 1998. No guns...duh. But I lost everything inside the barn. Several thousand rounds of brass, my Harley, my dads bedroll (by far the greatest loss), etc. One of two wooden salad bowls was still usable. Go figure. The one that survived had singed edges.

I dont know of a company who does. Im guessing the cost (or effort) to set up a custom welding jig might be prohibitive.

Many years ago I took an impromptu tour of Sportsmans Steel Safe company in Long Beach/Compton. They seemed to be willing to work with me on a custom design, but I never pursued it.

Have you thought about using a local weld shop?

I dont know of a company who does. Im guessing the cost (or effort) to set up a custom welding jig might be prohibitive.

Many years ago I took an impromptu tour of Sportsmans Steel Safe company in Long Beach/Compton. They seemed to be willing to work with me on a custom design, but I never pursued it.

Have you thought about using a local weld shop?
I never considered a weld shop, but that sounds like a good idea. Like most said, a fire will most likely destroy the guns anyway so a quality steel cabinet thats custom fit may work. The important thing is quality work if going that route. I know a lot of welders with plenty of years behind them, but they cannot put together a nice ”finish” on a project, but are capable of nice welds.

Consider a concrete vault room. Vault doors are commonly available, and good ones are fire rated. A concrete or block wall will keep temperatures relatively low if constructed properly.
Yes, it is not portable in any fashion, but can be built to accommodate a large number of guns / items. If built along the perimeter of a house, the house can burn to the ground and leave the concrete "bunker" unscathed.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom