Rhoads oryx. beat this AAO!

S

stinkystomper

I was allowed to share a hunt with a friend out on the rhoads this weeked and had the most successful oryx hunt I have ever had the pleasure to experience. Jay had several opportunities on friday missing two separate and great oryx before finally connecting friday night at last light with a great oryx. He ended up getting excited and shot the oryx standing in front of the big bull we were wanting him to shoot. The bull he shot was a fully mature bull with double broken horns but what made this hunt worth everything was the "payment" if you call it that I received after the hunt. Normally I supply vehicle gas and meals to everyone that lets me hunt with them, and I never take any sort of payment. In this case I had to make an exception. This guy was a doctor in afghanistan and had some amazing stories to tell. To be able to share a hunt with a guy who has done so much for our country was more than words can describe.

When all was said and done check out what I was able to walk away with. AAO, have you ever received this much in payment for a single oryx hunt?

3281oryxflag.jpg

The flag that came with it still had sand in it and was covered with oily fingerprints from the flight crews who used it. Talk about teary eyed and speechless. Its been a long time since i've helped someone out on the range and I thought I was done allowing people to use me. Then when you feel like theres no good people left out there you find a guy like this who makes everything worth while.

BTW AAO what did you guys come up with. we left friday and there were only 10 oryx killed that day. I went back to chilis that night hoping you guys might be back there eating again but I didn't see you. Kinda wanted to put my hands on a big ol bull cuz I know you got one. Any pics? any story? and don't just post pics, post some stories to.

Let me also thank a few people for making this a great hunt/expereince. StinkyStomper really helped me out and my friend who was the returning vet. Having never been on an Oryx hunt before, I do not think we would have been as succesful without Stinky. Thanks again Tony! Thanks for your help. Also thank Qtip for being supportive and her sacrifice of letting you go with a bunch of guys like us.

NMTaxi also deserves a big thanks and he knows why. Thanks NMTaxi.

Finally,thanks HJBuys for your service and for being a great friend. It was an awesome hunt and it won't be forgoten.

Congrats to you guys, and no I definitely never received any payment like that. Not sure we can beat that, but we did end up with top cow...

4415oryx_pic.jpg

Quick recap of the hunt... Friday morning after orientation we headed out in search of our usual (37+ bull or 38+ cow). My client from washington made it very clear he would go home empty handed before shooting anything less than 36 inches. After following the caravan of trucks, guys finally started peeling off the highway as did we.We turned off a dirt road with only one truck in front of us, about mile down the road a group of six oryx ran in front of the first truck and stopped broadside just 200 yards off the road. I drove passed the pulled over truck who was trying to get a shot off and almost just kept driving, because 9 times out of 10 the oryx off the roads are dinks. I took a quick look and to my surprise way to the right of the initial herd was a 40+ cow standing broadside at 350 yards. I freaked, went into panic mode and pulled off the road. we ran out set up the sticks and steadied for a shot. My client asked are you sure? I said shoot that oryx now and a shot rang off...MISSED! he had shot right over her... I watched the cow run over a mile and join up with another herd while heading towards the hill country. We spent the rest of the day on foot in pursuit of the cow with no luck... We looked over a lot of oryx, but nothing that excited me. 1 hour before last shooting light I spotted 4 oryx together, one of which I knew was a shooter. the oryx were 1100 yards from us and we had little time, we used a
the cover we had and made a desperate attempt to get in range before we ran out of time. We finally crested a small ridge and had the cow at 175 yards. and the rest is history!39 inch cow in the books! Congrats to all that were successful on this hunt! Can't wait for the next one...

Sounds like everyone had a great weekend. The pic of the oryx in the snow is awesome.

Thanks Richard for not taking the bait.

NMPaul I turned 25 this year, time to start acting like it!

Great story Stinky. Sometimes the memory,comraderie and "payment" from hunts far outweigh the success or the size of the harvest. Being an Iraq veteran, the overwhelming support and genorosity that individuals like Stinky shows and gives is greatly appreciated and you have no idea how much that means to our veterans. Thank You.

AAO that is an awesome animal you guys got. Congrats.

Muzzy Shooting Staff
Straight n Arrow Archery Pro Staff

what bait? that truly was an awesome gift paul.

my only question is how the heck did that much snow stick? nice friggin cow. that pic in the snow is way cool. i just wish my guy hadnt killed do fast. i love those hunts. such a blast

>what bait? that truly was an
>awesome gift paul.
>
>my only question is how the
>heck did that much snow
>stick? nice friggin cow. that
>pic in the snow is
>way cool. i just wish
>my guy hadnt killed do
>fast. i love those hunts.
>such a blast

Of course it was an awesome gift. If I got a flag like that I would cherish it and hand it down to my kids.

You know you were baiting Richard trying to get him to come out and get in a argument with you.

no paul i honestly wasnt. i made up a catchy title to grab his attention so i could see a big oryx and thats about it. if i was the fighting type i woulda started something with them at chilis. man you guys have me all wrong. we got into it once upon a time. thats about it. i dont think anyone has any grudges. sorry paul i wont direct any more posts towards aao

No grudges here towards anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinions toward AAO.

I only have 18 inch arms, need a few more inches before I can start throwing weights around with stinky!

I'm not one to post very much, but there are a few people who deserve a public "thanks". That hunt was one awesome experience. Truly a beautiful animal and an exceptionally fun hunt. Sorry to Stinky and Tayhot for letting the monster go, but I couldn't be happier with the animal I harvested. I think I just about made Stinky burst an aneurysm as he was trying to get me on that group. I meant it when I said I'm not a trophy hunter and I just couldn't find the big one in the 22X scope at 60 yards so I took the one that I could find. :D I still laugh at the memory of hearing the despair in Tayhot's voice as he watched as the monster was running away and telling me to shoot again while I was trying to tell him that the one I shot was kicking up dust on the ground. (What?! No! You missed! Shoot him again!) I loved the experience and I've been all smiles all week.

I can't begin to express how grateful I am to Stinky for selflessly offering his help with my hunt. I had a good crew with me (TayHot and my dad), but that would be a really tough hunt without someone who knew what they were doing. While Stinky can talk a good talk, I saw first hand that he really knows what he's doing and I doubt I would have been successful without his help. To top it off, I truly enjoyed his company.

To TayHot, he's a true friend. One of those rare guys that you know would do anything to help you out regardless of how inconvenient it is for them. There isn't anyone that I would rather have on a hunt with me. Thanks Brother.

To NMTaxi, thank you. You know why.

Lastly, having my dad along was what truly made it an experience of a lifetime. Thanks Dad.

i still chuckle every time i think about your kill. you had a truly big bull standing just yards in front of you. i thought it was a for sure thing and was wondering if that guy was gonna be pushing that magical mark. all i know is that he was big and i had you pass on several nice oryx and a few i never mentioned to you guys that i saw in shootable range. i knew you werent a trophy hunter but i really wanted you taking a minimum of a 36" oryx and new you would with patience. at the last moment you shot and thae big bull trotted off. as i came up on your oryx i was more worried that you would be upset. once i figured out you were as happy as could be i was totally satisfied. it was your hunt and your choices. you had a great time and that was the point.

holy cow, the aao guys workout? dude there was a gym right by my hotel. we could have gotten in some midnight workouts. call me next time loosers!

What did you think, we kill all those top oryx from the comfort of our trucks while eating double cheeseburgers?! Were no triathletes or WWF wrestlers, but when we hit the mountains were about as hardcore of hunters as you will find! In the name of Cameron Hanes himself, "Train hard, hunt easy"! Sorry, no midnight workout sessions for me, I hunt better on a full nights rest!

This post is starting to go away from it's true intent, so I will end it at that. Happy hunting everyone and hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom