Rifle Build ???? For You Guy's

Tikka

Long Time Member
Ok I want to build a semi custom rifle... I am a 7 Mag. fan I have one made by Smith & Wesson, but would like to build one off a Rem. 700 action, and not the Smith action...

Or I have a Winchester Model 70 that I'm thinking of building a .280 Rem off the action, it's currently a 30-06.... This rifle was given to me by my Dad, so it has sentimental value...

The bolt on this Winchester is not the normal win. bolt, it's more like a Rem. style bolt... Can you flute this bolt like you can Rem. bolts???? I'll attach some photo's of the winchester...

So now give your thoughts on the two idea's I have????
4026winchester_001.jpg

monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/7717winchester_002.jpg

1385winchester_003.jpg

Or could I turn the 30-06 into a 7 Mag. by opening up the bolt face????

I'm new to gun building if ya can't tell.... All this work would be done by a qualified gunsmith......

I would leave the model 70 as it is. Can't ever replace the memories of that rifle. You can have the bolt fluted if you would like. Id use Kampfeld to flute the bolt.

I would find yourself a donor M700 in a magnum and build a 7mm Rem mag if thats what you want. What are your intentions for this rifle? Price range? Weight?

My intentions for this rifle is just a solid tack driving hunting rifle..... I don't want it to heavy 7.5 Lbs. tops!!!!

I've been looking for a donor action for awhile, if there priced right there gone before I can get to them.... Thats why I started thinking of the M70, it has been a safe queen for about 20 yrs. I've maybe put 2 box's of shells down the tube.. I would like to use it but I also want it in a differant caliber!!!!

This has been discussed here before, with strong opinions . to really have a conversation you need to have a price range.

Opening a push feed 70 even if it's possible is a bad idea. I'd forget that. for a light accurate rife you're on the right track with a 700 action. if you can find one a Colt light rifle action is great, and about the same money.

I'd start by looking at the Rifles Inc website and see if you want to spend that much, you can spend more if you want but bang for your buck Lex is hard to beat in light hunting rifles.

If that's too much green you can shop around and try to put something together with your smith. just remember this, if a semi custom builder builds a rifle and it doesn't shoot he keeps working on it until it does. if you buy the parts and have your smith build it if it doesn't shoot, and it very well may not, it's your dime until it does. do you feel lucky? like most things you get what you pay for.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-12 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]Lex's rifles are great

As are Mel's, just another option

http://www.forbesriflellc.com/

Forbes is coming out with a "production" rifle to go along with his popular NULA rifles. something he tried to do with the Colt light rifle, but him and colt didnt agree on the final product and he didnt want his name on it..He's giving it another go and they should be excellent. worth considering anyway.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-12 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]I have a push feed model 70 30-06 like yours. This gun is sentimental to me as well, because it was my first hunting rifle. Many have come and gone, but I'll always keep this one in the family. I'm going to rebarrel it with a 25" 280 ackley improved. This will basically duplicate the 7mag and you don't have to mess with the boltface.

I will replace the stock and barrel but keep them so it can go back to it's original configuration if one of my kids chooses to do so. Don't listen to 440 sixpack about the Remmy, here's what you get with the model 70 over the Remington: a better trigger, a better extractor and a much better safety. Plus you don't have to worry about the bolt handle falling off.

Doing it this way will save you a lot of money and you still get to keep your old rifle. Plus all that sentimentality is stored in the action, so you get to keep that too;)

The 280 Ackley will not keep up with the 7 rem mag .

I'm a model 70 collector, if I thought the push feed 70 was better than the 700 in a custom gun you couldn't give me a 700. the pre-64 or the newer controlled round 70 are great actions, but they weigh more and the goal as stated was a lightweight. no doubt the 700 is a more accurate action too but in a hunting rifle I wouldn't worry.

My custom rifles with 700 actions all shoot great, the paper clip extractors have been replaced with a Sako style and that cures the 700's major failing. the bolt handle falling off is possible on most rifles but not even a consideration.

Stay thirsty my friends

440 said, "The 280 Ackley will not keep up with the 7 rem mag ."

Just another case where 440 thinks he knows something but is dead wrong. I wonder why he keeps coming to this forum only to be proven a fool.

My 280AI loading is not all that hot but am getting easy 3250 FPS with 140 grain Noslers on the crony. How many factory 7MM Rem Mag loadings do that?

No one is saying that it will out do the Rem Mag but it will certainly keep up with it, is more efficient, and certainly no animal will ever know the difference!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Your "not at all hot " load is 100 fps beyond Nosler's max load. I'm not saying you aren't getting it but it's more than mild. let me guess, you have a different shoulder angle? well hell then it's an ultra mag what am I talking about. I'm getting 3290 with 150's out of a warm load in my 24" 7 rem mag , that's only 40 fps beyond Nosler's max load. try that in your 280AI, but let me stand back first.

I didn't say the 280 AI sucked, I said it won't keep up with a 7 rem mag that's all . and it won't. if you want to bite my ankles be my guest but make it about something that you can back up.

Stay thirsty my friends

I have the same exact gun in a 270. Bought in new 1988 I'm toying between the 280 Ackley and the 7mm too. It's a toss up.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

440, Most who go thru the trouble of having a rifle re-barreled or chambered into a 280AI, reload for it. Factory ammo is very limited and what is available, can safely be exceeded.

I believe that Most who buy and hunt a 7mm Rem Mag, shoot the stuff that they get at the local hardware or sporting goods store.

When you consider what most shoot thru their 280AI's and what Most shoot thru their 7MM Rem Mags, the 280 Ackley Imp is not taking a back seat to the bigger cased product.

I can neither agree or disagree with the claims you presented for your own loading. I do again though wish to say that between the two, the ballistics are so close, no animal is ever going to know the difference between the two and the AI does it with a smaller more efficient non magnum cartridge casing.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

deadazzbob you're too dumb to even know where that line comes from aren't you? anyway, if sage is your idea of a freind you're right I don't have any. Why do you girls have to go personal on everything? pretty juvenile really. entertaining nevertheless.

So sage we agree, the 280AI won't run with the 7 mag. I agree isn't that far behind, but I never said it wasn't.

I'd just skip the gun section but you guys make me laugh. and for that we thank you.

Stay thirsty my friends

yes I know where it comes from. I think it's funny you're too stupid to come up with your own lines. So go pound another Dos Equis, Dumbazz!

"So sage we agree, the 280AI won't run with the 7 mag. I agree isn't that far behind, but I never said it wasn't.

Nope, we don't! My buddy hunts a 7mm Rem Mag and shoots factory 140's thru it. I shoot my 280AI with 140's and same exact bullet, my load is 150 FPS faster. Saying one won't hang with the other are the words of a fool!

You go on all you want. I'm helping a good bud with his PLM Buck hunt in the AM and have a quick sleep and a long drive ahead of me.

Joey

440, you should know by now...you have to either have a 280AI, 7-08 or a Tikka to be popular in the gun section :)

...just joking guys!

I would only build a rifle based on an easy to get factory loaded cartridge. Period.

Go with a 270, 7mm rem mag or 30-06.

Back when I was younger, I hunted fairly exclusively for about 35 years with my 264 win mag. I have seen that cartridge go thru 2 or 3 cycles of being popular and unpopular. It's on a peak now with all of the 6.5mm "Johnny come latley" enthusiasts. Nevertheless, I had to reload for it because a variety of factory ammo has never really been available.

I settled on the 300 win and 30-06 to replace my trusty old 264. I still reload some, but I have way too many other hobbies to invest the time it takes to do much of it. It's not that fun to me anymore.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-12 AT 08:02PM (MST)[p]Sage you're a riot, let's cut to the chase and end this nonsense.

I don't care what your hot load does against your friends squib load I'm saying the 280AI WILL NOT produce the velocity of a 7 rem mag with comparable loadings and barrel length. to make that simple for you max vs max .

Since I have no desire to chronograph with you and watch you play grabazz with deadazzbob you find a loading manual to back up your claims. they're a pretty good indicator, since you're using Noslers what does Nosler say?

If I was going to spend the money on another custom gun I'd choose the caliber I wanted then find the action not let the action choose the caliber for me. if you insist on using your action the 270 Gibbs is pretty neat if you're going to go through the wildcat fuss anyway. I have fun with my Gibbs but no, it won't run with the 270 WBY either.

Arroyo makes a very good point. wildcats are fun but they're a pain if you just want to go hunt, I'm kind od burnt out on the whole thing I won't build another .

Stay thirsty my friends

Thanks for all the info. guy's!!!! Some great arguments going back and forth, all passionate about their cartridges....

I bought a doner Rem. 700 action today I'm sticking with the 7 Mag.!!! It's going to be a slow process but a fun one... I'll keep ya'all updated....

440Suckpack do you ever get it right? Because once again you're wrong. The 280AI is not a wildcat cartridge. Once upon a time yes, but SAAMI standardized it in 2007. Nosler makes factory ammo, brass and Rifles in 280AI. Kimber also chambers the 280AI in their factory rifles.

Stay Thirsty douchebag;)

This has been fun!!!

I had two rifles built in the last four years. I went back and forth on some of the same choices. In the end I have a 270 Winchester & a 7mm Rem Mag. Both built on Rem Mod 700 Actions.

I made my choices based on ammo cost and availability, cartridge reputation/dependability, and since they will all kill and the animals won't know the difference.

I think the 280AI is a fantastic cartridge and does a lot for its size...but I think the 7mm will do more, and ammo is very available, and brass is cheaper. The 280AI has more cool factor, but the 7mm Rem Mag probably more practical IMO.

I like threads like this! :D

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-12 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]Deadazzbob that depends on which 280AI you have. and if you did need ammo what are the chances you'd find 7 mag vs 280 AI of either shoulder angle ?

Why don't you prove the 280 AI is as fast or faster than the 7 mag since your boyfriend is out of town. that's what got his panties in a wad in the first place. well not quite true, it was that I'd come near his circle jerk in the first place.

Seem the original poster made his choice , good one in my opinion. have you chosen a barrel brand, length or contour yet?

Stay thirsty my friends

For the love..LETS MAKE THIS SIMPLE. In like barrel length,loaded to like pressure the case that burnes more powder will ALWAYS produce more speed, if you think you are getting more for less you are up in the night, there is no free lunch.

take it how ever you'd like, those are the facts.

Some of you guys are going way overboard in trying to distinguish which cartridge is better. We should not be, any more than two guys both shooting 22lr's, each with a different brand of ammo, saying that one is better or faster that the other!

Both the 280AI and the 7mm rem mag shoot the same exact bullets at very near the same speed. Deadi said,
" I'm going to rebarrel it with a 25" 280 ackley improved. This will basically duplicate the 7mag and you don't have to mess with the boltface."

...and he's right! The .280AL in a 25" custom tube will "basically duplicate" the 7mm rem mag. Especially if the 7mm is a factory 24" tube and even more especially if that 7 mag shooter is shooting some of that "easy to get" factory loaded ammo. This is a fact folks but has been clouded my mr potty mouth, my stuff is better than your stuff and i'll keep insulting you till you go away or believe me, 440 whose constant
gradeschool insults should have no place at all in this forum.

There are a zillion ways to tweak ballistics and those who like them as much as i do, know more than a few. I'm not going to play 440's game though. Fact is, my 280AI shoots my 140's as fast or faster than my friend shoots his 140's thru his 7mm rem mag. My or deadi's claim that they should basically duplicate each other, is our opinion and i'm sure that you guys that have shot the cartridges, loaded for them both, and put them on the crony, are welcome to yours!

Joey

I think the 7 mag is a solid choice. Why fix something that's not broke?

I have nothing against the 280AI, its good too, I just have a different set of requirements. No. 1 requirement - Factory ammo needs to be readily available (e.g., able to get at the gas station if need be). Ackley would force me to reload which as I have said I have gotten my belly full of.

Regarding barrel's, I would take a hard look at the Benchmark barrels. I don't have any personally, but I have heard some really good things about them.

Arroyobuck, It is a solid choice, no doubt.

Sometimes though, a guy wants something similar but not the same as what everybody else has. Myself, i like efficient cartridges that are on the smaller side.

Another thing, among several, that we should not lose sight of in the discussion, the bolt face work needed in changing from a regular '06 type cased rifle to make it magnum sized case capable.

Joey

yep, the 280AI has a lot going for it. And I feel its the best a guy can do on an '06 hull. (not taking the 6/06 into consideration of course :) )

the 7mm gibbs is faster than a 280 ackley and uses the same 06 case, so if you are gonna build a wildcat then build a better and faster one......the 7mm gibbs ce61

how about the 7mm gibbs, it is faster than a 280 ackley, on the same 06 case......always nice to tell them ackley atta boys that. hey sage maybe you can ream that AI to a gibbs and gain 60 to 100 fps LOL ce61

Ce, i know you're just giving me a little grief in jest but why would i? I'm already shooting my 140's at or better than factory 7mm rem mag stuff and from these guys, a few of them seem to really know their stuff, the gibbs is not nearly so easy or even a standard case to work from...

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?51961-7mmGibbs-280-AI

Nice to hear from you, even if you're bustin my balls! :)

Joey

OK so over the weekend my doner Rem. action fell through!!! But on the flip side I found a helluva deal on a rem. .300 WSM so I bought it. I'm going to try out this gun to see if I like the SA. If I do I might just build off it instead of the LA Mag.

What do you guy's think???

A lot of people like to build off of the long action (standard) so that the magazine can hold a longer overall length cartridge. Or in other words less jump to the rifling.

I wouldn't sweat it. 300 wsm should be a great do-it-all round. If you end up rechambering it, although I don't think I would, you might look at the 284 win. That's about the best 7mm you can have in the short action. It puts you back in the "must reload" category though...

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

I built a long action 284 on a M700. The throat is such that the 140 / 150gr bullets will engage the lands while being just flush with the bottom of the neck of the case. making full use of the available powder capacity. She's a sweet heart and feeds and functions like a champ. The loaded rounds look a little like ballistic missles,but they shoot great.
Quick specs;
Remington trued blue action donated from a M700 Mountain 30/06.
Holland recoil lug
24" Shilen #4 Stainless barrel
Tweaked factory trigger
Remington bottom metal.
Tubbs firing pin assy
Skim bedded & floated in B&C Medalist
Leupold dual dovetail rings & bases epoxied and lapped
6X-18X VXII

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom