rifle for alaskan moose

H

Hilinecowboy

I shoot a 270wsm for elk in montana. I'm planning a moose hunt this fall in Alaska. What do you guys think of this rifle for moose? I'm really confident with it and am really happy with the proformance on elk.

LAST EDITED ON May-15-08 AT 01:23PM (MST)[p]It will work - but it is about the minimum caliber I would even consider for up there and would recommend against it. Most people consider the .338 Win Mag to be the ideal caliber for Alaska as it is versatile enough for bigger game and longer distance shots.

Here is what Chuck Hawks has to say about it for elk and moose:

from this article in Guns and Ammo:
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/multi_092104/index.html

MAXED OUT
In early November I hunted elk at the Vermejo Park with Federal's Ron Petty and Mark DeYoung. They requested that I try one of their new AccuBond loads. I looked through the list: 11 new AccuBond loads starting with a 140-grain .270 and going up to 260 grains in .375. I figured the best way I could learn about this bullet first-hand would be to use the smallest caliber and lightest bullet pushed the fastest. I chose the 140-grain AccuBond in .270 WSM.

I prefer heavier calibers for elk. I think the .270 Winchester is minimal for elk and requires a lot of care. Ditto for the .270 WSM except I think it's a better elk caliber than the .270 because of its greater energy. I also think elk is a sensible upper limit for any .270 (or 7mm) cartridge. You can read that to include moose (although larger, they are not as tough as elk), black bear and a host of African animals up to about zebra. So I wasn't worried about the cartridge on elk. Nor was I apprehensive about the AccuBond, but I had no idea how it would perform.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

A 270 wsm is more than enough for moose. Folks up here use anything from .243, 30/30 through .375 H&H. Just realize that whatever you use moose don't die quickly unless you use a heat shot. It's all about shot placement and using good bullets. Most of the old codgers up here use a 30.06 and a 270 is fine.

The 270 WSM will get it done with proper bullet placement. People are always telling others to use the 338 WM for Alaska, it's not necessary IMO. I use a 270 for sheep, caribou and black bear, and for moose, brown/grizzly bears and goats I use either my 45-70 XLR or my 375 H&H model 70 classic. If I had to choose one do all rifle for Alaska, it would be a WInchester model 70 Classic in 30 Govt'06.

Shot placement counts more than anything else. Choose any adequate caliber (.270 WSM is adequate) that you're most comfortable shooting. I think too many times I see/hear of people choosing cannon-sized calibers that they're uncomfortable (read "afraid of") shooting and make bad shots as a result. Far too much emphasis is placed on "big" or "new" calibers, instead of on very good shooting of adequate calibers. Took a moose last year with a .300 Win Mag. Bang- dead. Also had my .25-06 Encore at my side. Encore was enough gun to drop him under the right circumstances, but the circumstances (walking through trees @ 160 yds) didn't justify it, so out came the .300.
Adequate caliber plus the right bullet (in your case I'd opt for a very heavy duty bullet that will limit fragmenting as much as possible) are far more important that going over-bore for your shoulder.

Im a big fan of shooting the biggest gun you can handle without developing a flinch. Ishoot a .338 RUM and have taken several deer and a bull elk that needless to say didn't go far at all. I will have to agree with the others about the focus on shot placement but if this is a once in a lifetime hunt for you I wouldn't bring a gun that you doubted. I went on one moose hunt in Ontario and the bull my buddy shot took three 180 grain partitions in the boiler room without even breaking his stride. Dont get me wrong the bull died in a fairly short amount of time but these animals are huge and I would hate to pull my shot which we all know can happen and put a small caliber bullet through the shoulder of the bull of my dreams.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom