rifle for back country hunting

Handwerk

Lets say you're hunting antelope, mulies and/or elk.You can get a .308 that weighs 6.25lbs all up or a 30'06 that around 8 lbs. all up.With both carrying and shootablity in mind, what would you pick and why. They would both be ss/syn.

I would go for the 30-06, unless 1.75 pounds makes that much difference to you on packing it in to the back country. You will have a little more range with better knock down power with the 06 over the 308 and a little bit better ammo selection if you are not a handloader.
If you took out the elk hunting, it would be hard to pass up the 308 selection with the lighter weight package. I am not saying the 308 will not bring down elk, but it is getting a little low in velocity pass 200 yards with heavier 180 grain bullets. My personal preference in bullets for the 308 is 150 grain, and 165 for the 06 as good all around bullet weights for deer to elk in Nosler partition or other similar constructed heavy duty bullet.

RELH

My 300 Win Mag weighs 6 1/2 lbs with a 3x10 scope on it, it's not the cartridge as much as the gun. depending on what you want to spend you can get a light weight accurate rifle in any caliber you choose.

neither. my 30-06 weighs in at about 7.5-8 lbs. that would be my choice. not my first choice in caliber, but the rifle it is in is perfect, and the caliber aint that bad.
Casey

i don't really review factory rifles much but, why is the light weight rifle in a long action almost 2 lbs hevier than the short actoin, if they were built similar, there should not be that much diff.

Remington Ti in 30-06 is what I have and it is accurate! I have a Leupold 3x9 on it and it is around 6 1/2 lbs. 61grs RL22 and 165 NP is my poison. If only I could get a tag to use it!

Try the Weatherby Ultra light in a standard caliber. Has a 24" fluted barrel, holds 5 rounds and only weighs 5 3/4 pounds.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom