Right To HUNT in CO! Time is now!

elks96

Long Time Member
Fellow MMers, I was recently at a state sportsmen round table with the DOW and the group agreed that 3 things are vitally important to our state and wildlife. those 3 things were Funding, Habitat and Recruitment. The group is diverse and has hunters, guides, outfitters, fishermen, etc.

In the group I pushed hard to get support for a Right to Hunt Law. After seeing what happened to trapping, bear hunting, etc. It is only a matter of time before we see more push from the anti hunters to limit or get rid of hunting (first on their list is going to be lion/predator hunting).

All that being said, I am seeking your input on the matter.

I would love to see us push forward an amendment to the state constitution that ensures hunting opportunity, wildlife management on science, etc.

A further concern we need to have is that by 2020, it is predicted that nearly 80% of the entire population of Colorado will reside in only 12 counties. Making the smaller rural counties that much more susceptible to the BS that is passed in counties like Aurora, Boulder, etc...

So what do you think? How should it look? Do we want to expand it from just hunting and fishing and include all outdoor recreation? Meaning that it is difficult to pass state laws that would eliminate things like mountain biking, rafting, back country camping, off roading, etc?

I fully believe that this would easily pass in 2014 due to the potential turnout of people who support the 2nd amendment...

I think in Utah a while back they passed a law that decisions regarding hunting could only be made by their wildlife commission and NOT the general public to vote on. There was some good steam on getting that up for a vote but just disappeared and never heard of it again. I believe it takes 100,000 petitioners to get it voted on statewide. Getting 100k votes with the internet should take no more than 2 or 3 weeks to get. I truly believe it would pass but as you mentioned support for hunters is really shrinking each passing year.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-13 AT 08:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-13 AT 08:35?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-13 AT 08:34?PM (MST)

elks96, I love the idea, and I too think the timing is right.

Here's a link discussing which states have passed statutes/constitutional language regarding this very subject: http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/env-res/state-constitutional-right-to-hunt-and-fish.aspx
and there is an office in Denver too.

I think it should cover all the recreation types that you have mentioned, and if it did, it may help garner other support from those other than hunters and fishermen. On the other hand, with the current USFS land use policies, and the direction they seem to be taking,some of the other recreational types may clutter the hunting/fishing issue, I don't know.

I worry for my grandson's future ability to hunt and fish and it sure would be nice to get something passed as a state constitutional amendment... I really hope for that day!

There's only 1 degree of DEAD!

Boys, I think you are on the right track. Although your dipsh!t governor signed gun bills, your state is still mostly rural and welcomes hunters and hunting money and this would not be a firearms amendment.

As someone who hunts your fair state, don't let the outsiders who come from somewhere else call the shots that will affect your hunting activities.

Snoop

First thing you need to know about CPW is the Wildlfe side is in bad financial shape, not the Parks!! At the CPWC Meeting last August in Gunnision, the CPW was brain storming on future funding and TAX BASE was brought up!! Said that is the way Ark. amd Mo. manage their Wildlife. If they go to a Tax Base run CPW,
good luck to hunting!!!

Be a great agenda item to pursue!! I'd be all for it!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Budrow 100%! State parks was solvent in 2009, 2010 and 2011. Part of the merger was in thinking every little bit of extra revenue could help CDOW. I just wanted to make that clear to hopefully prevent the uninformed majority saying you were wrong.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom