ripcord rest

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
I spotted a nice buck yesterday evening and decided to go after him. An hour and a half later I had covered the 800 yard distance. Everything was going as planned. I new I had to be close to him, but everything looked different.

Just then I seen his horns moving. He was only 10 yards away from and had no idea I was there. The big buck looked up in my direction as he could sense something was wrong. I couldn't draw...I just froze. There was a small pine in between us so I thought I was ok, but he wasn't having it and took off. I drew back hoping he would stop and look back, but it wasn't to be.

I remember thinking how loud the noise was when I drew back. I don't think I would have ever had a chance at him because he would have heard me in the silence.

This comes to my question. The first time I shot with this rest the rubber part that holds the arrow fell off. I could not keep it on for nothing so I quit using it and just locked the rest in the up position when I was ready to shoot.

Now I'm thinking its probably a lot quiter to use the rubber piece to draw back with. Does anyone else that uses this rest or a similar one use it in the up position? It's sure convenient when your stalking to have your arrow cradled, but maybe it's not the best think to do. Is there a way to make the rest quiter as your arrow glides acrossed it?

Very common with most rest prongs these days. I don't understand why they can't make them quiet from the factory.

I know a lot of guys use moleskin. I personally don't like moleskin because it wears and will change your nocking point as it does. It can also soak up water. I like virgin teflon tape. It's a thin, adhesive backed film that sticks really well and is dead silent when an arrow is drawn across it. I get mine at my local bow shop.

I wrap the U-shaped holder and the top piece with that fuzzy camo tape. That way when the arrow slides through it when I draw it doesn't make a sound. I have a rubber pad on my bow brace that the U piece falls on so it doesn't clank when it falls against the bow. The tape also helps when it falls as not to make a niose. Also the fuzzy tape gets goobered up if the fletchngs hit it so you know if your rid-chord is timed or not. My fletchings were hitting my tape and scuffing it...so I took it to the shop and they re-timed my rest. Hope this helps.
Love that rest...holds it like a w biscuit but gets out of the way like it should.

Stuart

I had the ripcord rest for three years loved the convenience of the lock up cradle option. I Just replaced it few weeks ago for a few reasons. First the noise while drawing was a constant battle. After getting into a blind to hunting antelope it 2007 I drew my bow back and was shocked at how loud it was, so I wiped it down with some chap stick and it worked good enough to shoot a nice antelope a few hours later. After that hunt I was able to quiet it down with some mole skin and I shot two black bears last spring at under twenty yards with it. So after solving the noise problem I thought it was all good until last November I was on a backcountry hunt for mule deer and a storm came in and it got real cold. The rest keep freezing up for three days I had problems with it and was very frustrated. Once the moisture was inside I couldn't get it out. After this experience I decided to go to a simple rest that can be dried off easily. I realize that most people wouldn't be archery hunting in those extreme conditions but to me I learned that reliability in any condition is more important than the very convenient locking cradled arrow feature. You never know what the conditions may be like when you get that opportunity at a trophy of a life time.
Wish you well and good luck hunting!

I had a similar problem with my rip cord. It worked great for a little over a year until 3 weeks before the opener here in cali my rest started freezing in the upright position. I tried adjusting it till I got tired of playing with it and I took it apart. One of the springs was rusted up! After seeing the internal workings of this rest I decided on going back to my old simple drop away. Less movig parts means less chance of failure.

I had a similar experience last week on my Utah hunt. I dont know if it was always that loud and I never noticed or it suddenly became louder, but I am switching to a QAD rest.

Ask your wife if you can borrow her finger nail polish and give your rest several good coats. You have to let it dry in between coats but its durable and really quiets things down a bunch. Better let her know why you want it though.:)

I shoot that rest now, and love it. When I got mine set up, the guy at the shop just put felt strips with a sticky side on the rest. I have shot hundreds of shots off the rest, the felt has stayed on, and I shoot good tight groups out the 70 yards. The overall benefit though is the quietness it provides.... It allows me to move around the woods knocked with the rest upright, and not have to worry about the noise it makes when the arrow bounces around in there.

I cut a couple pieces of peep tube and stretched it over the prongs. It did the trick for me.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-09 AT 07:53AM (MST)[p]FELT DOTS USED ON BOTTOM OF VASES
they work perfictly. i use two on the bow and two on the inside botton curve of the rest where it make smack contact with my bow/ its wisper quiet.
At 75 yards out they never here it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom