RMEF ?

ORsouthpaw

I saw the other post about what memberships everyone has and I'm curious specifically about RMEF. I have been a member for the last 7 years and it seems to me that a common theme that has developed is that some the higher revenue producing states don't always get back what they put in. I am by no means saying that I don't appreciate all that has been done here in OR but is seems like the bulk of what I hear being done is beyond our own borders. I'm just wondering how many others think that what's raised in a state should stay in the state, wherever it may be. Maybe not every dime but at least 80 percent or greater. What do you think?

Call me sellfish, but i have a hard time paying to aquire lands that i will never be able to hunt on......unless i win the lottery.

I agree that most of the money should stay in the state.

First few lines from their website - Oregon info

http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/NewsReleases/2007/Oregon.htm

"The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Awards $225,200 in Grants for Oregon Conservation Projects

(June 19, 2007) Missoula, Mont. ? The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation announced it will award 41 new conservation grants in 2007 to protect and enhance habitat in counties throughout Oregon.

The Elk Foundation and its partners have contributed over $30 million to complete more than 500 conservation projects in Oregon since the organization began in 1984. These conservation efforts have had a major impact on elk and other wildlife habitat throughout the state, permanently protecting more than 38,000 acres and enhancing more than 590,000 acres."

Did not find a state by state listing of revenue vs. project dollars, but 88% of revenue is used for on the ground projects. I'm sure any of the following would happy to dicuss with you.

Tom Toman
Director of Conservation
800-CALL ELK
Ext. 433
[email protected]

Regional Director
Swede French
29638 SE Weitz Lane
Eagle Creek, OR 97022
(503) 637-5226 ()
[email protected]

State Chairs
Oregon
Bill Richardson
(541) 929-5365 (Phone)
[email protected]

Oregon
Steve Martin
(541) 215-0022 (Phone)
[email protected]

In the latest RMEF mag one letter to the editor said that tags for a REMF land were selling for I think $12000.00
Boy it makes me feel good that the doctors and lawyers that out bid us a banquets for rifles and paintings are now buying tags on the land we helped to buy.
I won't be supporting them any longer. They won't take a stand on elk management, or Wolves. The stories in the magazine are mostly the feel good let the bull walk away because he was to majestic. Not for me. Ron

>First few lines from their website
>- Oregon info
>
>http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/NewsReleases/2007/Oregon.htm
>
>"The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Awards
>$225,200 in Grants for Oregon
>Conservation Projects
>
>(June 19, 2007) Missoula, Mont. ?
>The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
>announced it will award 41
>new conservation grants in 2007
>to protect and enhance habitat
>in counties throughout Oregon.
>
>The Elk Foundation and its partners
>have contributed over $30 million
>to complete more than 500
>conservation projects in Oregon since
>the organization began in 1984.
>These conservation efforts have had
>a major impact on elk
>and other wildlife habitat throughout
>the state, permanently protecting more
>than 38,000 acres and enhancing
>more than 590,000 acres."
>
>Did not find a state by
>state listing of revenue vs.
>project dollars, but 88% of
>revenue is used for on
>the ground projects. I'm
>sure any of the following
>would happy to dicuss with
>you.
>
>Tom Toman
>Director of Conservation
>800-CALL ELK
>Ext. 433
>[email protected]
>
>Regional Director
>Swede French
>29638 SE Weitz Lane
>Eagle Creek, OR 97022
>(503) 637-5226 ()
>[email protected]
>
>
>State Chairs
>Oregon
>Bill Richardson
>(541) 929-5365 (Phone)
>[email protected]
>
> Oregon
>Steve Martin
>(541) 215-0022 (Phone)
>[email protected]
>
>

Can you tell me how much they make a year?

I am not overly concerned about the salaries of the full-time staffs of conservation groups. What I take issue with is; I up until 2007 was on the RMEF committee for my local chapter, we would raise 1000's of dollars, very little stayed 'local', the bulk went to Missula. I readily admit that RMEF has done many great things for wildlife and hunters, I just prefer to take care of my own FIRST, then help other states and regions out. This is where I believe SFW does it right. I also belong to Utah Bowmen Association, a state issue oriented org.

PRO

Idahoron, yeah that's what did it for me, I read their Bugle magazine, then about hurled.

I agree with keeping money rasied in a certain state, in that state. As the Utah state chair of MDF, I can assure you that the money, my chapters in Utah raise, stays in thsi state. Their Chapter Rewards money is used on projects of their choosing and the banquet and fundrasing money is used on projects in Utah. Our Regional Director and myself make sure of this.

This is another reason that I support SCI. I know some of you have issues about SCI about High Fence hunts...and I will argue that point in another post sometime........but I KNOW That the money raised in the Local Utah chapters for SCI stays LOCAL!!!!!!! I am on the board of the Southern Utah SCI chapter and I KNOW that the money we raise stays here, and WE as a chapter get to decide where and when that money is used.
RMEF is getting terrible....and I will not support them at all!! SFW money does stay local..........but where local does it stay.....in someones pocket or or are they using MOST of it where it should be used! Again, I have just heard rumors of this stuff going on with them. And with them not telling everyone odds and hiding stuff..........kinda makes you wonder!

"Again, I have just heard rumors of this stuff going on with them. And with them not telling everyone odds and hiding stuff..........kinda makes you wonder!"

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. To repeat, as even you put it, "rumors" is irresponsible and NOT the way to drum up support for your 'special interest' group.

I am just starting to warm up to SFW, and I sit on the Board of Directors of Utah Bowmen Association. I see MORE positives from these two groups than negatives. I also am seriously considering MDF, I talk on occasion with Tony Abbot and Mike Laughter and have great respect for both men. For the record, I also know Bill Christensen, the Regional Director for RMEF here in Utah, I think he does good things as well. I just have limited funds to 'donate' to conservation groups, and I will not 'donate' a dime if I am unable to 'donate' time in addition to my wallet, and see the money hit the ground.

Regardless of which group(s) you 'donate' money to, SHOW UP and get your hands dirty, that is where the real differences are made.

PRO

I was a member of RMEF and the president of the local chapter for several years from their founding until '94 when they sat on the fence picking their nose while we lost a close vote on the use of dogs to hunt lion and bear. our hunting has since suffered greatly.

You can't be a politically correct wolf and cat hugging organization and a pro hunting organization at the same time, RMEF has proven that.

As much as I dislike SCI and their squeeze shute style hunting I agree they do 10 times as much for hunters as RMEF ,and I've yet to see them kiss a wolf.

PRO, you are correct in a way. I shoudl not spread "rumors" but I do not think that I did spread anything. I just voiced my concern over things that I have heard. I thought that is what this forum is for is to come and voice concerns. And just how do I live in a "glass house"?

I thought it was good that Don came on and posted on that other thread. I think that is very "brave" on this stinkin sight as you are liable to get blown out of the water. That showed something to me. He did answer some of the questions. I am not a member of SFW anymore, but I have attended some local banquets and spent some money there as I think they do some good things.

All I am doing to telling people why I support SCI. I am not going to tell everyone else how they should spend their money or what group they should belong. Again, I am just telling why I enjoy SCI. I think they have more POWER and do MORE great things to protect rights!!!! Which I think is in the greatest danger. I know land, habitat and all of that is important, but if we do not have the "rights" to hunt anymore, none of that will even matter!!!!!!! It is plain and simple!!!!!!!

I do VERY MUCH agree with you on one thing though!!!! GET OUT AND GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY!!! Join something, just please get out and do your part to protect the things that we all love!!!!

Fish, the glasshouse reference was aimed at SCI. Any group that is on the front lines is vulnerable to 'attacks' and 'rumors', that's all. Nothing was meant/directed towards you. You said, " I know land, habitat and all of that is important, but if we do not have the "rights" to hunt anymore, none of that will even matter!!!!!!! " On the flip side, if we have no animals to hunt due to loss of habitat, what good does it do to have the "rights" to hunt anymore, none of that will even matter!!!!!! Just a thought. I say we need BOTH. Each group is a 'special interest' group, and as such they have certain issues/concerns that are top priority to that group. I say, join whatever group/groups have 'special interests' the closest and dearest to YOU. If that is REMF, SCI, SFW, UBA, MDF, NRA, DU, NWTF, TU, then join and put your heart, body, and soul into it. I live in Utah and am an avid archer, so I align with groups that directly benefit me and my interests the most. AT this time it is UBA and SFW.

PRO

Good points all of them. I do agree that we need "both" habitat and "rights" as I put it.

That is why I have spent my money at SFW banquets and will continue to do so. I like SCI as we have started to do some good things here in Southern Utah and with the growth of the chapter you will see more and more money spent here in Southern Utah. I do agree that you just need to get involved, no matter what group you decide to join.

Look at that, we can have a good "discussion" and no one will have to get mad or anything. AMAZING!!!!! I actually like discussions like this! I wish more guys could rant about their side and discuss the other side without taking it personal! Thanks for the good discussion PRO!!!!!!!

So it would seem that I'm not totally alone in my feelings of RMEF becoming too much of a corporate business. I love elk and that in and of itself is the only justification that I can use to have been a member as long as I have been. I agree also with the statement about the price of a tag on RMEF lands, 12k seems to be higher then an average hunter can afford so with that type of price tag it refines the type of member/hunter that's able to bid. I'm not saying that it's not a great thing to raise large amounts for elk but shouldn't the an elk tag be availible to the average member who's yearly membership helps the cause?

I don't specifically know what the demographics are for membership but I would guess that only a small portion of us would actually be able to spend 12k plus on an elk tag. Personally I wouldn't, simply because I don't like the idea of a guide taking me around the hills, then pointing out a bull and me simply aiming and pulling the trigger then patting myself on my back.

As far as the Bugle magazine goes I enjoy 99 percent of the stories although I will agree that more times then in the past bulls walk away unscathed. I wished we had more of the stories that were published back in the early 90's. I really felt that was the glory years of the RMEF as a whole.

I have been a RMEF memebers since 84, it's first year. Went to
first banquet in Spokane. Used to go the the National banquets
until mid 90's. The commoners can hardly get tables at auction
lunchons due to reason stated earlier. I agree with the 90's
statement. The Vicki and Bob Munson glory days.
Had to be political.

If anyone has the right to titwhine it would be me. I have been a member since RMEFS inception. I have contributed a decent amount
of money and none of it comes back to my state. Maybe a token amount for education. No public ground ELK hunting here. I believe that if you are a hunter that everyone ought to be involved in helping our wild critters somehow whether it be some type of conservation group or restorationn project, etc. Doing something is better than nothing. There is no organzation out there that is perfect and none that someone wouldn't question how they are doing things.
Until something better comes along I will stay a member.

Could you imagine how many more members they might get if they had some kind of system where the average hunter could hunt some of theses lands for a reasonable price?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom