Road closure

littlebull209338

The battle to keep open the county roads which go by High Lonesime Ranch above De Beque is back again with the ranch getting a temporary stay on keeping the road open. The county had prevailed earlier but the ranch is now claiming that the road improvements made by the county has damaged their property. John Martin the County Commissioner points out that is interesting that the stay comes just when hunting seasons are opening. There will be a resolution daily soon and then surely another appeal. This areas roads have had damage caused by run off from the fire of last summer.

Not sure if thats good or bad news for me as i head out in a couple weeks for deer elk and bear in that very area. open or closed I'm planning on doing a lot of walking to find water. short walk would be better but generally speaking that leads to plenty company. How is the scorched area around the high lonesome looking?

Big money well on its way in Colorado with state and local laws being pushed aside with minimal challenge by enforcement. Similar BS is happening in other areas too.

I thought the road laid on the backside of horse mountain between cow ridge and horse mountain. Wasn’t sure what area of blm the road opened access to but the warden said 40 or 50000 acres were accessible that weren’t at least by vehicle when the gate was closed

It is absolute crap. The interesting part is the people actually laying the stay and how they are doing it. It is a fight we have to win. Hell I would give someone money to helicopter in and hunt the area this year just to duck with high lonesome. Maybe that is a side around on fixing the issue.
High Lonesome is nothing but Aholes.

So High Lonesome claims that the county damaged their property by doing improvements and their first reaction is to close the road? I wonder what the county engineer has to say about this?

So High Lonesome claims that the county damaged their property by doing improvements and their first reaction is to close the road? I wonder what the county engineer has to say about this?
Right... It is absurd! I can not understand how anyone in the area wants to do any business with High Lonesome.

If I've seen it once I've seen it a thousand times! Landowners that get on a power trip thinking that they own not only public access, but they also think that they somehow own OUR wildlife! I would love to see these guys get burned! And no, I'm not talking about the recent fire.

When gates went up blocking a half a million formerly open country acres the world burned and the county commissioners cut the gates down. 1998

A very good county commissioner is working darn hard to get the gates down, He will not give up until they are. I know him personally and HE is one of us.
All the Commissioners are on board on getting this settled. I have met with them all on this and other issues. They all have this as a major issue they want to fix.

Good to know the officials representing the people are on board. They r a dying breed. Thank god for good folks fighting the good fight

This is awesome news!! Just as I’m leaving out for Garfield county tomorrow am! Gray ghost...to be continued

Link to official ruling?

assuming it holds for the fall hunting seasons, there are going to be some really mad “clients” that paid for “exclusive” hunting lands behind the locked gate. ?

I would predict it might even get a bit crowded

I ran across this post and I remember someone
Talking about the High Lonesome road closures a while back.
If I remember correctly didn’t someone say there was another ranch or two with even more ground locked up?Seems like it was out on a plateau or something.Anyone remember we’re that was?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom