Roads in the Plateau unit

CABugle

I drew the plateau antelope tag and was just trying to find out how the roads where in that unit. Are they rocky and rough do they get slick when wet? I am trying to figure out weather or not I should bring an ATV to get around or if my truck will do.

Don't worry guys not hunting from the ATV just trying to get around a little eaiser. Thanks.

CABugle

Rough as a cobb & slick when wet. It always storms on that hunt...always!

Good luck on a fun hunt in a beautiful place. Try not to get discouraged by the outrageously poor hunt practices you're likely to see at some point during your hunt...ugly.

Have you hunted up there before?

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim. No I have never hunted this unit or any unit in Utah for that matter. I'm just looking for a fun hunt where I can get away from the roads and maybe find a decent buck. I know people have said that it has gone down hill and it's not what it used to be but i'm still getting to antelope hunt, so it should be fun.

CABugle

Well give us a report on how it goes. No sense in telling you what you have already heard.

There is roads everywhere. You can't escape them.

Elkoholic.gif

Get a easy chair for the guys riding in back of the bed, Makes it easy for they to stand and shoot.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Good luck on your hunt Mr CABugle.

You'll have fun, be entertained by a bubba or two and you'll be able to make the most of it with a good attitude and a solid work ethic.

There's no shame is a little spot and stalk. (spot from the quad, stalk on foot). It's the drive and blast that drives me crazy!

Remember the pics and the report when you're finished.

Zeke

i was on the unit today and only seen one buck.

between all the transplants and the hard winters the goats are hard to find . i will be down there this week and will let you know what i see

CABugle

there are still a few good bucks around . take your four wheeler and get off of the main roads . their are alot of two track roads that most people won't take trucks on. plan on doing alot of glassing . most of the goats are in small groups 7-10 does with small bucks . i seen two 14 inch type bucks that were by themselves . i don't really know how to PM so if you want more info let me know.i will be going back down on monday and won't be back until your hunt starts

Coondog, thanks for the response. I was going to focus on pollywog lake, antelope springs and peterson grove area, are there better areas to look at? I was told by a couple of people that Parker mountain gets most of the pressure, so if true I was going to stay away from there.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.

CABugle

if you get a chance check out the black pt. area and also north of highway 24 near deadman hollow . south east of jakes knoll also looked o k good luck.

You'll run into plenty of folks around Pollywog, it's not a "secret" by any stretch.

Here are a few pics of the country you'll be hunting to wet your appetite...

P1020929.jpg

P1020911.jpg

P1020916.jpg

P1020927.jpg

P1020910-1.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

Nickhangshisbuckforskinning.jpg

Mallorieglassingwithtestbino.jpg

NicksUtahpronghorn.jpg

Coondog
Look next to the person name and you will see 4 symbols one is for sending a private message(PM)it looks like a envelope, now to recieve a PM you will have a InBox that you can go to and read what is sent when someone sends you a PM, You can then reply to their Pm from that point.. Good luck

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Good luck CABUGLE. I'm leaving tomorrow to check out some of those roads myself for about 9 days. Hope you find a good one!

Buckspotter good luck, I won't be down there until next Thursday, if your back by then shoot me a PM and let me know how it was.

CABugle

Awesome country, lots of antelope, none worth shooting. 2" of rain opening day, we arrived the next day to take part in plenty of mud bogging. Only hunted 4 days, saw several hundred antelope, probably 50 bucks, 1 that might have gone 13". Hope it went better for CABugle, I had a great time, but didn't kill an antelope.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom