roads to Gerlach and unit 014

gundog2

What is best route from Winnemucca to Gerlach? I will be hunting unit 014 late deer, coming from Logan, UT.

Mapquest suggested driving south from Winnemucca to Fernley then back north to Gerlach, which seems rather out of the way. I would sure like to shave off a few miles and save some gas. I have not decided if I want to use tent or pull an old camp trailer out there.

Also, I would welcome suggestions on places to camp in unit 014.

MapQuest is right. Unless you want to add several hours, flat tires, and one hundred miles of questionable dirt road to your trip. Stick to the interstate to Fernley, then go north. That will be the fastest route.

I've never been there but looking at the map I would say that is the more direct route. As its not really south so much as west. And gerlach appears to be due north of fernley.

Jungo Road travels almost due west directly from Winnemucca to Gerlach. It's at least 60 miles shorter than going through Fernley. It's a good hard gravel road from Winnemucca to Hycroft Mine. Between the mine and Gerlach however, it's a bit rougher and does cause a few flats for those that don't run good truck tires.

Bottom line if it were me.. I would go Jungo Road directly to Gerlach if I didn't have a trailer. If I had a trailer of any kind, I would take the interstate to Fernley and then turn up the Gerlach highway. Quite a bit longer distance, but might save you some time and headaches with trailer tires.

I once saw a Chrysler 300 car driving on the Jungo road in the middle of the night in the rain just east of Empire coming toward Gerlach. I think you should be fine.

Was on that road yesterday. It is not the best road in the area, but it is not the worst dirt road I have been on. I drove from Lovelock on 399 to it scouting for antelople in 41. Went out on the road and drove to Fernley. It might be farther to go on 80 to Fernley, but I think it would be a lot faster, especially with a trailer. Don't know anything about camping in your area.

I had a 012 California Bighorn tag back in 1999 and drove that Jungo Road routinely to scout and hunt. Once you are a bit past Sulphur, you can actually get out on the east side of the Black Rock and go 100 MPH the rest of the way to Gerlach if you want (as long as it is dry). If the conditions are right, going the Jungo/Black Rock route is waaaaayyyyyy faster and more convenient than tacking the interstate to Fernley and heading north.

Make sure you take at least 2 spare tires and plenty of extra fuel. Not much in that area and Gerlach shuts down early sometimes.Those roads eat a lot of tires

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-13 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]Having driven them both, I'd take I-80 to Fernley without thinking twice. You're on a hunting trip that is multiple days, the Jungo Road is tough on tires and there is no service anywhere after you leave Winnemucca. Why chance it? Take the easy way and arrive ready to hunt with no worries.

I'm hunting 015 in a few weeks. I'll probably be driving up to Gerlach from Fernley, even though I know of shorter ways to get where I want to go. No fuss, no muss, and dinner at Brunos before I head out into pronghorn country.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-13
>AT 08:31?PM (MST)

>
>Having driven them both, I'd take
>I-80 to Fernley without thinking
>twice. You're on a
>hunting trip that is multiple
>days, the Jungo Road is
>tough on tires and there
>is no service anywhere after
>you leave Winnemucca. Why
>chance it? Take the
>easy way and arrive ready
>to hunt with no worries.
>
>
>I'm hunting 015 in a few
>weeks. I'll probably be
>driving up to Gerlach from
>Fernley, even though I know
>of shorter ways to get
>where I want to go.
> No fuss, no muss,
>and dinner at Brunos before
>I head out into pronghorn
>country.
Thats the best advise yet.

noone mentioned how lucky you are to have that late tag.
That's an awesome tag to have.
As far as camping, I had that tag several years ago.
I'd take the road from Gerlach to Cedarville, once past Squaw Valley reservoir and before you get to Duck Flat there is a road going up Old Camp Canyon that takes you to Fox Mountain.
lots of places to camp along that road.
Or, you can go up further and take the road that is the northern
boundary of the unit.(Lost Creek Road I think) and go in from
that direction. Lots of good deer country on that north end.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom