rock springs weather

ridgerunner

Very Active Member
How has the weather been in that neck of the woods this spring, put in for some antelope tags and am hoping they come out of the winter in good shape for some good horn growth this year.

Mild winter, animals should have wintered over well and are in good shape, I don't know about horn growth, hard to guess. But I am guessing ( with a little help)that the deer will have great horns this year.

any update on how the spring has been out there or how the horn growth is looking this year so far for the lopes.

seem to be seeing lots and lots of average antelope bucks but there are always a few of the big bucks if ya look hard enough but overall i'd say an average year

There is green grass everywhere...some of the old timers have said that they haven't seen this kind of moisture in over 30 years..I running drift fence up in the Wyoming range and seeing buck antelope where I never seen them before..

same story I'm hearing for MT....wettest it's been in decades over the eastern 2/3 anyways. I don't think they've even hit 80 yet in the lowland hotbeds of the east. Some years they're 100 every day by now.

Great, great news, should find out in the next few days I'm headed to Wyoming for lopes and I've already got an eastern MT mule deer tag in my pocket, yeehaw!

NMPaul-Sounds like you don't like RS for whatever reason.Maybe you should just stay away from here.Too many tweekers,and the weather sucks,too_Our hunting is also really bad....

Nontypical, sorry you took it wrong. It was my attempt at being funny.

I liked the Rocksprings of 10-15 years ago more than the one now. It was a nice little town and it has grown up to fast.

I have hunted unit 57 for antelope 2x and unit 59 once in the past as well as passing through and have seen how it has changed.
I really liked unit 59 and we stayed in RS each time.

You got to admit its not the town it was 15 years ago.

Again, sorry about taking a cheap shot.

No problem,Paul.I probably got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!!RS has for sure changed in the last coupla decades.For that matter,pretty much all of western Wyoming has.I remember Jackson being a really cool place once,too,before Hollywood found it!Pinedale went downhill as well.How in the world did you draw 57??Twice!!??

Nontyp, My wife and I drew it about 12 years ago on a party app. It was foggy that morning and when it cleared up she kinda blew it and shot a 14"er.
Later in the day I shot a 82 4/8 final score. He was 15 3/4 buy heavy and awesome cutters.
We applied every year and my daughter drew it about 4 years ago.

I was really sad to see how the unit changed. Of course there was drilling there the first time I was there, but, it seemed that the traffic had doubled. My daughter shot the best buck we could find in the 3 days we had. A wide 14.5" buck. We passed on him 3x and went back for him on the last evening we had.

After that I just did not want to go back to 57. I know the unit had potential, but, the hunt is also about the experience.

So we started putting in for 59. It was much prettier country and without all the drilling and drilling traffic. Again we had to many hunts going on and ended up having only 2 days to hunt and snow was forcasted. We went anyhow.

We did not shoot anything special but, had a great time. It snowed like hell, almost killed us 3x, Wife threatened she would never hunt with me again. If I told you the story about the mountain lion you would think I was a story teller so let me just say it was an amazing adventure.

I have some very good memories of rock springs with the downer being the trip there with my 14 year old daughter. It was not the small little town I remembered and then unit 57 was not what it was. We did have a blast the trip 2 years ago with my wife maybe because of our near death experiences.

I have been to Jackson one time. About 20 years ago. It was beautiful but it felt a little artsy to me (like Sedona AZ or Taos NM). I would not want to go back because of everything I have heard. It would be depressing to me.

It's been at least 10 years since I was in Jackson.The place is just like you say-too "artsy".30 years ago it was a really neat place.If you were in 57 4 years ago,then no doubt you know what's going on out there.I think it has let up some,but still lots of stuff going on out there.I used to hunt deer out there.There are some good bucks out there if you know where to look.Hunting in 59,no doubt you encountered many different species of big game!!Glad you enjoyed your time out here.If you ever draw again,I'd be happy to lend a hand.Been roaming this country for over 35 years...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom