Ruby Mountain Success

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-11 AT 08:48AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-11 AT 08:39?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-11 AT 08:34?AM (MST)

I had a great hunt yesterday with my son Chris. We had a good day spotting solid bucks, but the bucks we saw bed were layed up in some pretty difficult places. As I was moving in on a solid buck in an avalanche chute I had to cross a big bare slope and underneath me I found this guy browsing, then lay down. I put a little cover between myself and the buck and made a bee-line to the 42 yard mark. About a half-hour later he stood and I toasted him. I got a little lucky actually, there were a few twigs between the buck and I that I figured wouldn't be a problem, but as I watched my arrow fly it got deflected about 5' in front of the deer and drilled him in the neck, dropping him on the spot. Very Lucky!! Fun Day In The Mountains!!
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8191scott_2011.jpg

A very fine buck, congrats. Now I suppose you'll go get another snowcock like last year??? If you do, don't forget to post pictures. fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-11 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]When I saw the mass and the brows I decided I better give it a try. When you're just a stones throw from 50 years old those easy to get to bucks look a lot more interesting than when you were 30. We had a 4 1/2 mile packout to the truck that nearly did me in. Some would say that's a cakewalk as far as the Rubies are concerned, but that's about as far as I care to go. We had to pack out in the dark with no moon, just our headlamps. We sure ended up doing a lot of zigzagging trying to find our way. Lot's of fantastic memories in those Rubies, they're just a great place to hang out and get away from it all. I might have to give those Snowcocks another try, I am getting around a lot better than opening weekend, that day after day mountain conditioning really works.

Yes, those Rubies will definitely get you into shape. I too am almost 50 and almost all of my hunting partners are in thier 20's but I love being in the mountains. Filling my tag doesn't really matter to me but being in those mountains rocks my world. Goodluck on that snowcaock and keep hitting those mountains as long as you can. fatrooster.

That is a great muley, congrats.

November can't get here soon enough for me to be chasing bucks in the rubys.

Nmbighorn

Beautiful buck!!! Now you got me pumped up for next month :) Congrats!

BTW, what pack is that? I am buying a new one tommorow.

That is the Badlands Sacrifice pack. It is a great concept, small, but expandable. It has an internal frame which keeps the pack off your back, but we found a weakness in this one. When we packed our deer off the mountain we loaded it to about 60 lbs. and now have one shoulder strap that is tearing from its anchor. I guess I'll get to see if their warranty is all it's made up to be.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-11 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]I'll admit we've had a pretty good streak of luck lately. I hope I'm not using it all up. Yesterday was just nuts, we left the truck at 4:00 AM and spent the next 22 hours on our feet, until we returned. I wanted to get the deer off the mountain before it warmed up again this morning. My body is totally totaled out, can't bend over, can't stand straight up. I should be good as new in a few days.

didn't you and your son have a story in eastmans last year or something?? you look familiar lol... anyways, congrats on the buck! the rubies aren't an easy place to kill a good buck and it seems like you kill good bucks every year. congrats!
))))--------------->
Bowhunting

Follow my hunts at: http://www.nvbowhunting.blogspot.com

I did do a short story about father and son bowhunting that was about our 2009 season, called "Ruby Mountain Madness". It was in Eastmans last spring, your good with faces, lol. They are good people, they sent a Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder my way for the story. Eastmans will publish alot of content other magazines won't touch. It's kind of fun trying to put a hunt into words. The Rubies are positively difficult, they are difficult enough that everytime I spend two to three days out I start telling myself I'm never applying there again, then BAM another lucky moment comes my way. It's a good place to see some solid bucks, but just getting to them can be nearly impossible. I've found that if you want to be successful in the Rubies you have to dig a little deeper and push a little harder than some other areas I've hunted. We're not only looking for that +180 buck, Chris and I stalk most every decent buck we see, I just love stalking mule deer. It doesn't matter to me if they're big or average, just out for a fun hunt.

Great job. I know how difficult this task is up there. I drew that area as well but wasnt as fortunate as you my last trip. Good times and memories though. Im going back up this weekend for a short trip before my bull tag the following week, and try and make it happen. Im 25 so my body can handle a double tripper lol. Anyways congrats. Great trophy and im sure it was well earned.

Thanks for sharing this year's story. That's an awesome buck! I remember faces and knew it was you from the Eastman's story immediately.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom