Rubys Success, if only I had a little more patience!

flyingspearnv

After patterning a 30+ 6x7 and ten of his closest buddys it was time to make a move. Everything was perfect except he was close to an hour late this particular morning. Not being able to see their route I had no idea if they were coming or not, I started second guessing my plan, little did I know but he was 20 yards away leading the pack when I broke my silence, a minute later I watched all eleven bucks leaving the basin. Disgusted with myself to say the least as I watched the big guy skyline over the top, something caught my attention, nine more bucks coming my way. They watched the eleven leave but continued to me just a hundred yards lower in the basin. I dropped down a hundred yards to get the wind right and watched the nine bucks keep coming, the second buck was the biggest. The leader went by at less than 20 yards without noticing me, then the bigger buck came to 20 yards but stopped behind a 3 foot pine leaving his vitals covered as he fed. He finally stepped out and I drew, he busted me, snorted and ran up hill only to stop at 55 yards for another look at me, the shot hit true and he went about 75 yards before expiring right in front of my eyes and my buddys who got to watch the whole hunt go down. We had a great time, looked at over 50 bucks in eight days, saw a few mountain goats, and my buddy had two young lions watching him relieve himself in the dark from a mere 20 yards away before they went back to playing on the mountainside, scary but cool!
The night before full moon bivy
8390sdc11339.jpg

My third archery buck!
4528sdc11354.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but with the whole deer loaded up it was quite the haul back to base camp, gotta thank my buddy for talking me into getting him out that day!
1585sdc11361.jpg

Thats awesome. It seems everytime you let your gaurd down these bucks seem to pop up. I think it happened to all of us at one time or another. Great buck im sure you earned it as us ruby hunters know. Im sure that 6x7 is gonna haunt your dreams for quite some time. I hope I can get some luck this weekend up there.

Congratulations! I had several blown stalks that didn't give a second chance. The heavy back out is tough, but better than a light pack...

Thanks for sharing the pics, it makes me what it even more next year.

Thanks for the kind remarks. Thirty bucks ended up piling into this basin on this particular morning, when the orignal 11 were the only locals for the three days prior, definitely a case of right place right time. I'm assuming other hunters must've pushed the additional bucks. The following 3 days only one buck came back into this basin, never did see the big guy again as my buddy was still hunting. He came close to shooting a nice 27" 4pt on the last day of the trip. I have definitely been using up my good luck, hopefully it holds out for the rest of this season for me and my family, we have several really good hunts to go this year!
Flyingspear

CONGRATS FS !! GREAT STORY AWSOME BUCK!!
BY THE WAY;YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK IN LIFE,YOU HAVE A TRAIN LOAD LEFT.
I HOPE ALL IS WELL AND WILL BET THE LUCK CONTINUES!!!!
KD

Hey RedDog,
Well good luck back luck, depends on how you look at it I suppose, got 10 yards from a beautiful 190 class straight 4 this weekend in Utah, when a doe busted me he got up and ran out and stood broadside, let her fly just as he turned to bolt, clean miss, so I guess that's still good luck right???? Cool part is Chase (10 yrs old now) glassed him up that morning, he was glassing up deer every day it was really fun! Hitting the rifle range this week early am if your free give me a call. Gotta get the muzzy and rifles ready for the next adventures!
Spear

LETS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM DONE WITH WORK FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS AS OF TODAY!!! CALL ME,RD

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom