Ruger Super Blackhawk

Great guns. No better option for a modern S/A. Some day I will send my Bisley to Doug Turnbull and make it even gooder!

I have two supers, one with the 71/2" barrel, and one with a 45/8" barrel that is always carried when deer or elk hunting. 100% reliable and tough, they just don't break and shoot very well. I highly recomend them.

have one in the 71/2 inch barrel as well love it! killed a cow moose with mine this year. 1 shot through the neck at 40 yards took her right down. very acurate gun.

If you are planning to purchase from a gun shop or gunshow, here is some advice to increase you chances of getting a accurate 44 mag S.blackhawk.
Most Rugers in 44 mag and 44 special run about .430 on the barrel groove diameter. what you need to avoid is a revolver that has the chamber throats undersized. I have seen Rugers and S&W, and other brands, that have chamber throats that are .427-.428 in size and the bore groove diameter is .429 or .430. A revolver with undersized throats will never be very accruate with cast lead bullets, and even with jacket bullets.
If you have a buddy that casts lead bullets in .44 cal. have him give you several that are sized .430 and even .431 and take them with you. You also can get a .429 bullet, most common size in factory bullets and take that also.

Use those bullets to see if they will press fit the throats in the revolver cylinder using light finger pressure. If that paticular revolver will not accept the .429 or .430 bullet in it's cylinder throat, PASS THAT GUN UP because it has undersize throats and a high precentage chance it will not be accurate.

If you find the revolver that will accept the .431 diameter bullet using finger pressure, hold on to it as that is the one you want with the best chance of getting a very accurate shooter.
Now if you are a machinest, just take your inside measuring mike with you and measure the throats.

My Ruger Blackhawk in 44 has all six throats that measure .4315 in diameter and the bore groove diamenter is .430. That gun will hold 1-1/2 inch 6 shot groups at 25 yards with both a field load and hot hunting load. I size my cast bullets to a .431 diameter.
My son's S&W 44 mag Mountain gun has a groove diameter of .429, but it's six chamber throats are running .4275 and .428 and it's jacket bullet groups are just mediocre and will not shoot cast bullets worth a damn. I will be reaming the cylinder throats out with a .431 reamer if the kid pays for the reamer.

Also undersize throats are far more the cause for leading a barrel then using soft lead bullets.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom