?'s about Lincoln national forest closure (unit 34)

P

PAblackbear

So, I just got off the phone with the forest service. I asked if they were going to have the Lincoln national forest open by the time Sep 1st (archery elk and deer/bear) rolled around. The response I recieved was that "unless we get a whole bunch of rain, no." Well I understand that they can't make it rain so that leads to some questions. I broke out my map and it looks like unit 34 is all either state owned, private, or national forest. Well I can't hunt private and there isn't that much state owned land, so what will happen? If this has happened before and anyone knows what's going on then please let me know. I know 2 years ago they closed the forest at the end of turkey season and sometime before Sep 1st it was open again, and I don't remember that much rain.

I can't remember a time where any National Forest in NM stayed closed after the monsoon rains starts. That usually happens in July. I guess there is always a first, but I wouldn't expect it to stay closed.

Travis

It is true that the NF has always re-opened prior to the 1st hunt, but it will be totaly up to the rains this summer.

It was this years turkey season that the NF closed the forest. People seem to not get the message.

The forest is very fragile right now and anything could start a fire.

There was a very large fire in the Sandia's by Albuquerque this year that was started during the turkey season suspected by turkey hunters according to the NF and a witness. (two subject seen running away, both in camo.

This fire distroyed 50 plus homes.

Only time will tell is they open up 34. Pray for rain.

TT

The region is very dry, and unless, like the forest service said, we get rain, it will not be open. We usually do get significant rains in July and August. You just never know though. And about fires, there was even a fire in the Organ Mountains East of Las Cruces. We need rain and we need it bad. In Las Cruces it's been months since we've seen even a sprinkle.

It will rain. It will start by July 4th. It always does. They may not open it up until after the 4th because they don't want to deal with fireworks and they like the paid vacation. (-btw, that was the Manzanos burning up here, not the Sandias.)

They are currently getting some nice rain. Really behind so every little bit helps.

I'm sitting here at my house on holloman and we are getting a sprinkle, but like yb said the mountains are getting hit. Hopefully the rain keeps up.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom