S9 CO Sheep

beech18

I posted this in the sheep section of this forum but throught it might just as apporite to include within the Colorado section as well as its fitting for both sections.

Thanks everyone who have congratulated me on getting the tag on the other post. One MM member already contacted me with the offering to answer questions, that is awesome. Looking forward to speaking to you on the phone.
Mind is going wild. Sleep at night is tough to find since I learned of drawing the tag, I try counting sheep to fall asleep but that only makes it worse. The preperations are starting to go into effect.
S9 Sangre de Cristos Rifle hunt.
This is my first sheep tag ever. Im pumped.
I am glad for Colorado and when they let a person know about drawing a tag like this. Got approx 4 months to get everything prepared and learn as much as I can till then. I plan on doing this hunt DIY. My father will be joining me. Hes a tough SOB that loves to hunt, he doesnt show his age which is good because it takes all I got to keep up with him.

If anyone is willing to share any information of this area, I would appriacate any info I can recieve. I thank you ahead of time for anyone who is willing to share whatever info you might have. I realize the unit is rugged country. Im looking forward to what Sangre de Cristos have to offer and the challenges I may face during this hunt. Ive already made my mind up the ram Im looking for doesnt have the be the biggest on the mountain. Just a good representive of what the mountain has to offer is my main goal of the ram Im looking for. If I can find a monster, great, but score is not going to make or break this hunt. Im going sheep hunting!! Thats all that matters.
Ive figured out which maps I need, first thing Monday morning Ill be ordering those. Start out by just getting orinated with the hunt area, then will start google earthing, and so on
Im already mentally going through my equipment check list. Which gun, which optics, etc etc. Ive got 3 light weight guns Ill be choosing from that I like and shoot well. 6.5 X 284 Savage lightweight Hunter, 280 Remingon Mountain Rifle, 300WSM Kimber Montana. Right now Im leaning towards the 6.5 X 284. I bought that rifle acouple years ago just for a hunt like this one if I ever drew. Do I take my trued and tested Swaro spotter straight eye piece, or the new Minox I picked up to try out this upcoming year, angled eye piece. Decisions decisions on many items.
I enjoy doing back pack type of hunts and have all the gear to do so if I deem thats the best way will be back packing the hunt. Or Ive got base camp supplies if that route looks better.
Soon as I learned of drawing the tag. My work out routine changed pace. Instead of jogging every other day in the hills. Im upping the pace faster to a more intense burn. My running shoes where just about worn out, needless to say, just bought a new pair knowing I will be spending alot of time in them now with no excuses. Also just added in a short quick weight routine in on the off days of running. Hate lifting weights anymore but figured a quick routine will be benificial.
Season dates Sept 3-Oct 6 I believe it is. Good news, Sept my seasonal work is just finishing up earily part of Sept, Ive got nothing but time when it comes to this hunt. Negitive to the above though, pre scouting is not in the cards for me.
This is just tip of the ice berg. Hope you enjoy my rambling of my intial preperations of the hunt. Im assuming for those who have drawn sheep tags before know the feeling of there first sheep tag!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom