Safer at Home

Bluehair

Long Time Member
I have not seen any of my fellow Coloradans complaining about this, so I just wanted to make sure nobody missed it. :mad: 10 miles boys, or if you ain't from around here you're getting written up.

Colorado is loosening some restrictions on people’s movement starting this week as the state enters a new phase of its battle against the new coronavirus, but travel for outdoor recreation is one area that’s not being relaxed.

In fact, there may actually be stricter limits in place for people seeking some fresh air.

Gov. Jared Polis’ “safer-at-home” executive order issued Sunday night includes a provision ordering Coloradans not to travel more than 10 miles from their homes to recreate. That means activities like hiking, biking, skiing, fishing and rafting.

“Travel for recreational purposes should be limited to your own community, like your county of residence,” the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s public health order, which went into effect on Monday morning, says.

The new safer-at-home order is in effect through at least May 27, meaning that Coloradans are expected to stay close to home past Memorial Day, the unofficial start of the summer and a popular weekend for camping and hiking. The fear is that visitors will either contract or spread the virus in areas of the state not as well equipped to deal with mass infections.

“You made the sacrifice of staying at home for 32 days,” Polis said at a news conference on Monday. “I think you can make the sacrifice of going to your second or third favorite park for another month.”

The Colorado Sun asked Polis how the state would enforce the 10-mile order, but he didn’t have an answer. Some mountain communities already have restrictions of their own on visitation and have been publicly asking non-residents to stay away.

The public health order from CDPHE is vague. The agency didn’t answer a question about what specific penalties people could face for violating the directive.

The order says: “This order will be enforced by all appropriate legal means. Local authorities are encouraged to determine the best course of action to encourage maximum compliance. Failure to comply with this order could result in penalties, including jail time and fines.”

The stay-at-home order that expired Sunday allowed for outdoor recreation and actually appeared to OK travel of any distance to do so, though officials encouraged people to stay closer home.

“It’s really important to understand we really need everyone to do the right thing,” said Mike Willis, director of Colorado’s Office of Emergency Management, on a call with reporters Tuesday afternoon.

Polis said Coloradans just need to be patient.

“Many of our communities that rely on tourism have had high viral count loads because of that tourism and just need more time where they need to get on their feet,” he said. “We don’t want you to go out to an area where you might get the virus because others are congregating there from across the state and other states. And we also don’t want people who unwittingly are bringing the virus back to communities that have made great progress at great cost.”

He added: “It’s really important that we respect the wishes of those communities.”

Many mountain communities, including Gunnison and Clear Creek counties, have enacted policies to keep visitors out. In Gunnison County, violators can face a $5,000 fine.

“Traveling beyond your community, potentially spreading this to other communities is a really counterproductive thing to do,” Willis said. “This isn’t the time to grab your family and run up to the mountains and potentially spread it to other communities.”

Polis said Coloradans should use outdoor recreation areas closest to them.

“Most Coloradans – I dare say every Coloradan – has numerous municipal parks or county open space within 10 miles of their home,” Polis said.

But at the same time on Monday, Polis celebrated the fact that Colorado’s parks have been able to stay open and said officials were working to allow camping to resume.

The safer-at-home order does include a clause that it can be amended or extended at any time.

The outdoor recreation industry in the high country has been delaying its spring and summer offerings.

One big, looming question is whether skiing may resume for a few more weeks. Arapahoe Basin, which has one of North America’s longest seasons, has been holding out hope that it may be able to open its slopes.

The 10-mile travel limit, however, would appear to make that difficult.

“We’re not necessarily trying to open tomorrow,” said Alan Henceroth, chief operating officer of A-Basin. “Any kind of reopening is going to be a collaborative process” with the state and Summit County.

Henceroth said the ski area has been preparing to reopen when the time is right, and is thinking through its options to keep people safe. That includes only having lifts and trails open and keeping its facilities closed.

And Henceroth said there’s no rush because this year’s strong snowfall is looking like it will allow skiing into at least late June.

There aren't any turkeys to shoot in the town park, no sheds either. There isn't an adequate grocery store within 10 miles of my house. My jobsite is 40 miles from my house, in a different county. I'd say jarod can eat a bag a dikks, but....

My beef here is the way it was done, and that it was done at all.

The way I see it, the State declared an overarching regulation that determines your guilt, then dumped the heavy lifting on to local law enforcement who now gets to decide whether to charge you. Why couldn't it just be left to the counties to decide, rather than this assbackward exercise of authority by the State?

There is a reason the running premise in Southpark is "we need to listen to them, they're from Denver".(n)

Kinda discouraging. Have a trip planned to open my cabin over Memorial weekend. Have to think about it and see what happens between now and then.

DW...you are aware that Polis has a husband, aren't you? Therefore, he might want to eat that bag...just pointing out the obvious.

I am going out on a river on Memorial Day...not sure where yet, but it is gonna be outa duh county. There ain't gonna be nobody w/in miles of me, and my party. He can go....

Funny, just went to WY, drove through all kinds of Colorado. Reminds me of days gone by. No traffic, just point the truck and go.

Oh, I won't mention the town, but I saw one restaurant open, steaks, and people inside seated.

Stay home if you like, I'm living my life.

I haven’t been staying home but the turkey have been very uncooperative. The only time I will likely stay home is Memorial day because that is a bad weekend to be in the woods. Too crowded and too many drunks.

So if residents are supposed to stay within 10 miles of home what does that mean for non-residents? I couldn't find anything on that.

Here's a report from the front lines. It appears that pretty much nobody is adhering to the 10 mile rule, maybe because you can't here because EVERYTHING is more than 10 miles away. And the woods are full of people "working from home". I'm worried that tx58 may catch squatters. :oops:

My biggest worry is that people won't pick up after themselves, and that there won't be enough crews out taking care of things. I could see the USFS locking things down if we act like a-holes. I will have an update later, after I venture out.

Last Friday it was 80 deg. in Littleton. I thought it would be a good idea to get out of town and fish the South Platte near Deckers; so did everyone else in Denver. There were thousands of people fishing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, having picnics and generally enjoying the mountains. I even saw a guy coming down a trail with his backpack loaded with many elk sheds. The forest service had the bathroom facilities locked due to the virus, not a good idea. The weather was gorgeous and it was good to see everyone enjoying themselves.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom