Sale Of Antlers ! Please Reply Shed Hunters

M

Muley_Magician

Might as well not join the selling of shed antlers. Money is the rude of all evil . Putting a price on antlers is going to do nothing but ruin the sport of shed hunting that is becoming more popular each year. More polular meaning more ignornant people chasing deer just to make a few dollars while deer suffer the consiquinces, i'am not saying all of you are ignorant, but a small fraction of some shed hunters are and they can have a serious impact on our sport and antlered game. I myself think that because there is a price on antlers that the sport most of us have enjoyed for many years before it became popular will soon be gone. I look at the future of shed hunting and its looking grim. I guess the good 'ole days are long gone. Just because of $$ signs put on bone. Please comment on this post i would like to get your opinion on this. Hope not to come off to strong or offend anyone, because thats not the intent of this post. And what can be done to protect it besides outlawing shed hunting, maybe outlawing the sale of shed antlers? I dont know and dont have the answers that why i would like to get your imput on what can be done.

Thanks, MM

I kind of enjoy the extra money especially when I can use it to but more hunting stuff, guns, etc. The money by know means out weighs the enjoyment I get roaming the beautiful Colorado mountains in search of antlers and for sure is no comparison to the exhiliration I get when I find a frickin huge brown antler. Unfortunatley there is always going to be a few idiots out there. Look at what poachers have done to the image of good hunters. We have to deal with it and try to educate the ding dongs that are out there.
Jeff

LAST EDITED ON May-14-03 AT 07:51AM (MST)[p]I agree that money is the root of all evil but, I don't think money is corupting shed hunting. I can remember just 10 years ago, when you could go out and pick up as may as you could pack on your back, antler prices were high, elk was up around $16+ a pound. The hills weren't flooded with people then, so I really don't think $$$ has everything to do with . If you are lucky you can get $6 for elk now and the muledeer is up but down from a few years ago.

I think the real problem is the people that just want to get out and pick up some "bone". Everytime I look at this board there is someone asking "where do I go look for antlers?" I would bet that most of the horn hunters that are out there, don't find enough to warent selling them anyway. There is just getting to be to many people out there, and the compition is getting fierce for those few antlers. I have just about stopped hunting them, the spots that I used to go aren't even worth the effort any more, I'm lucky to find one where I used to find dozens.

I don't have any problem with selling them either... I used to find about 150-200 lbs or elk and about 50-60lbs of deer every spring. I didn't harass the elk or deer, I just watched them from a few miles away with a spoting scope and went in after they dropped and scoped em up.

The only problem the I have with horn hunting in general is the idiots that HAVE to be on the mountain the minute that they see a deer or elk drop. Why? Cause they gota beat the next guy. I would have no problem with them making a season on it, but it would be just to hard to control. All it will do is keep the honest people honest. Look back at some of the g

What's the differnce if someone goes out and picks up 50 and keeps them or if they sell them all. They still are out there picking them up and possibly harrasing the wildlife... I have a pretty good collection of nice ones that I kept, but for the most part the little ones got sent down the road.

Remember IT'S JUST AN ANTLER...

Ivan

Good post! I wish I could contribute with my opinion but I am not sure what it is yet. I have to admitt my first thoughts about buying and selling were right along the same lines as yours. It's not good. Now I am not sure that would be entirely true. I have met some very good people that buy/sell antlers and they are very concerned with the animals well being. I think the problem is not so much money as it is competition. Competition between a few guys that would normally respect the animals on the winter range can make people do things they wouldn't normally do. I wish a season would help but it would just ruin it for the honest guy. We have seen that already this year. An area in your neck of the woods is supposed to be closed from 1/15 until 5/1. Me and a couple of friends took time off work on 5/1 to see what we could go snag up. There were tracks up and down every road and very few antlers. Some of the tracks looked to be at least a few weeks old or more. It's frustrating to know that the ones who broke the law and snuck in early got all the goods. It seems about the only thing each of us can do to help out is notify the authorities imediately when you see someone in a closed area, harrassing game or whatever. I keep the DWR's phone number in my wallet. The guy that gave it to me said to call anytime and if it was in his area he would come. If it was in another area he would send someon to check things out. I really hope the good old days aren't gone but I know if we don't do our part it could easily turn out that way.

NvrEnuf

I for one just started shed hunting a few years ago. I don't have any really "sweet" spots but I find my fair share. But I haven't sold any of my sheds yet. I dont know I like to hang on to them. But I'm sure soon enough I"m gonna have to give them away. I must agree as well that there are many idiots out there that are doing these stupid things. But we have to deal with it and do what we can to attempt to put a stop to all of the idiotic things some people will do for a little $$$!

love2hunt16

So my question to you is. If you found a set of sheds for a smoking price you wouldnt buy them?. for example, you buy a set of 200 inch typical sheds for 100 bucks and you know you can either re-sale them, throw em on a cape, or just keep them... you wouldnt buy them???

Money is not the root of all evil, MAN IS!

I kind of have mixed feelings on this one. I enjoy finding sheds here and there, I don't get nearly as serious as some of you hounds! :)

What will probably happen is the govt. will probably end up outlawing it in EVERY state which I think it is illegal in Colorado to collect sheds. This will happen just because too many people will start doing it and then all the little squirrels and chipmunks won't be getting their calcium anymore! Also like you guys said, you'll start getting all the idiots up there that don't know squat or have any respect for the deer and elk wintering. Other than that I'm not going to get too far into this one.

Browtine, No i wouldnt buy them to try and mount or resale for more than i bought them b/c i do have sets that are over 200 inches and they wouldnt mean anything to me unless i was the one whom picked them up off the ground.

Ivan, you make good points.

later, MM

I think the old sayin goes The LOVE of money is the root of all evil Anyway people can make a little extra for the hiking efforts and get out of the house and see the critters in the off season No harm there
I just went to the Jackson Auction and I think the thing you need to worry about as far as prices go Is the Game ranches Not pounds but tons of horn up there lots of pen raised but Wild 350-360 bulls are worth about 6.50 to 7.50 tops It doesn't even matter that they are sets They can buy 380+ bulls all day in sets
I don't beleive it will ever be illegal to pick up sheds but then again i'll bet the canadians never thought they would have to register their guns either?

I'll try to get some Auction pics posted

Later

i couldnt agree with you more..i have spots that i hunt and have been hunting for 20 years, and every year more people, ill talk to them and 95% are in it for the money, hell they dont even get excited about a big antler,, its just wrong..

I am only 18 but I have been shed hunting for about 5 years and it used to be that I could ride a couple hours from my house on my 4 wheeler to a spot. hike for the day and just load up with horns. this last year I went to one of my "sweet spots", that is usually drifted in until march, got up there and everywhere I went all I saw was 4 wheeler tracks, the dumbass's would just drive out through the brush and trees and tear up the country just so they didn't have walk their lazyass's around. that Is one thing that I think they need to outlaw, is 4 wheelers going off road. or they just need to enforce it a hell of alot more. I have no problem with guys riding on the roads but when they get off them that really piss's me off!

,Utah

monroemtnshedfreak

I 100% agree, they need to fine, prosecute and kick some butt when it comes to ATV's being off the roads. Last year out in Wyoming I found two sheds from deer that would go 170 - 180+. As soon as I left the sheds I ran into ATV tracks, most winter ground areas in Wyoming are closed to motorized vehicles (on the main roads). I could tell that the tracks were a month old, while the roads were closed they had a hay day. A month before the areas opened they cleaned house, I guess nobody was out there to bust them. I'm sure the freaks on those ATV's have the other sides to my sheds. They had smashed more sage then I've ever seen. Freaks like that will kill of the winter range from smashing down the sage. Then the deer come back to winter and die off because there's no food. Things like that will kill off shed hunting and ruin the sport. I think if they maintain control of those that ride off the roads it will help the rest of us our greatly. If not we will have shed hunting laws that govern more shed hunting laws. You and I and the rest of you shed hunters need to turn these people in when we see them!

it is exactly the same way here in oregon,there is one spot i go on the foothills of the cascades and last year by mid febuary it was completly overrun....i saw fourwheeler tracks, dirtbike tracks , threewheeler tracks , and on the snow line snow mobile tracks,, and needless to say, i only found one shed, when in the past years i would find 4 to 7 good sheds every time i went there.and with all the people in there buzzing around, what does that do to the deer???it has to put a hell of a bunch of stress on them??

I sometimes barter my sheds or racks for other sheds or racks. You can get some good cash for sheds though. My shedhunting buddy sold a pair of elk sheds for $1800. They were a nice brown set that scored about 385" (w/40" spread).
-Raptor

I feel for you guys down south. I can honestly say that up here no one gives two sh**s about collecting bone. I've never ran into anyone else picking up sheds except for my buddy sneaking into my honeyholes. Bastard! LOL! I have sold sheds several times in the past. The pay per hour SUCKS! Moose sheds have been selling pretty good. I've been quoted as high as $12 a pound but most guys don't want to pay any more than $8 a pound. So when you think about the actual money that you actually collect and the amount of time spent looking, it don't pay at all. I'll still sell my small muley sheds and all my moose sheds when my pile gets too big. You can only have so many sheds in your house. The little money I make is nice but that ain't the reason I shed hunt. I shed hunt because it is like a fever, an addiction. You find one big chunk of bone and you want to find the match. You then get consumed by the desire to find more bigger sheds and more bigger sheds. Oh no, now I'm getting the shakes. I can't take it any more. When are the leaves going to drop so I can find more sheds?

"I shed hunt. I shed hunt because it is like a fever, an addiction. You find one big chunk of bone and you want to find the match. You then get consumed by the desire to find more bigger sheds and more bigger sheds. Oh no, now I'm getting the shakes. I can't take it any more. When are the leaves going to drop so I can find more sheds? "

Wow I couldnt have constructed that better myself. I too feel the exact same way about shed hunting. Your lucky to not have many shed hunters around your area. I would take complete advantage of that.

later, MM

later, MM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom