San Jaun or Bookcliffs

Smokepole

My daughter has 10 pts and is trying to decide if she is ready to go after a bear this year and I have 9 pts. I have a friend that was going to take us but, he recently got rid of his dogs. I know we could do a spot and stalk on the Bookcliffs (I'm very familiar with this unit) but, I've heard some good things about the San Juan (I've never been on this unit). We could wait another year and try and set something up as another option.

What would you guys suggest?

Smokepole

I have a biologist friend that drew a spot n stalk fall bear hunt for the Roadless. He happened upon a dead horse and only watched it a couple days before he took a nice boar. Personally I was and am against the spot n stalk only, as it ran houndsmen out of that hunt. However, I suppose one man's lose is another man's gain.

Either unit will work, but personally I don't go to either in the spring because of dog traffic. Either put in for the spring or fall roadless or fall Books & fall San Juan. Most of the guys running hounds will jump through their butts to take you hunting in the fall because pursuit is closed........

Ike

Both are good hunts, with out dogs I would do the spot and stalk in the Books. With dogs either Book cliffs Bitter creek, SJ or Lasal they are all good. Good luck with what ever you choose to put in for.

Thanks for the responses so far. I should have referenced that we are only looking at the fall hunts. Just a few days left and my daughter hasn't made up her mind yet. My new debate is now to wait a couple more years so that both my daughter and I can do this hunt together.

Thanks, Smokepole

I wouldnt be afraid of any Book Cliffs hunt. There is no problem cutting and running a bear every day on the spring hunt. I cant imagine the San Juan would be much different either. Anyone with decent dogs will be able to tree you a bear on either unit, spring or fall.

San Juan...highest bear density in the state. Bookcliffs is right up there though (top 3). Either tag would be a dandy. I had the san juan tag 2 years ago...great hunt! I killed an 18 inch bear over bait on memorial day.

"...I got a shotgun, rifle, and a 4 wheel
drive, and a country boy can survive..."

Hank Williams Jr.

>San Juan...highest bear density in the
>state. Bookcliffs is right up
>there though (top 3). Either
>tag would be a dandy.

>Hank Williams Jr.

+1

I put in for the premium San Juan w/9 pts. Thanks for the responses and PMs. Here's wishing you and me luck!!

Smokepole

Good choice, and I wish you good luck on the draw as well. I haven't filled out my application yet but will getrdone shortly--been out of town this past weekend. There are some monster, record class bears on about any unit where I hunt, it's just getting lucky enough to get the dogs after somewhat of a fresh track. All a guy can do is dig and scratch and wait until the sun, the moon and the stars line up and then a man has his trophy bear.

Ike
http://www.ingramwildlife.com/picture.htm

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom