San Juan Late

An outfitter in the area was pretty noncommital that he could get a wallhanger because of elk moving to private land and having busted points.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I helped a friend on that hunt this year.

It is a toss up because on one hand san juan has some of the biggest bulls in the state

On the other hand it is a difficult late hunt! Nearly all of the low country is private and the bulls know it.

Unless you know the unit well and can show up several days before the hunt and stay the whole time i would not suggest it.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-09 AT 11:42PM (MST)[p]I'm not sure what a 'wallhanger' is and I'm not sure the bulls really now they are on private ground. But I will share some of my thoughts.

If one is looking for a 360+ bull which I think is very doable on the AR/ML/early rifle, I would say your chances on the late hunt are significantly less. However, if a nice 2-3 year old bull would make you happy then I would say you would have a reasonable chance of accomplishing this task. The late season hunt is a difficult hunt (period). To me its more like looking for a big mule deer buck during the general rifle season--they are there but its as much getting lucky and putting in your time as anything. Those big bulls are very good and disappearing that time of year. Certainly one can increase his chances of killing a bigger bull with a bunch of help whether it be a guide(s) or a bunch of buddies--but make sure they know the type of bull you are looking for. Here's a few other things to consider.

1--I would NOT recommend putting in for the SJ late if I had more then 9 points. If I had 6-8 points and was just wanting to draw i would try the SJ late. In my opinion, there are many better units for the late hunt then the SJ.
2--as was pointed out many of the bulls especially those that come of the Abajo/blues portion of the unit will be down on private land (which one can get access typically for a fee), on the CWMU (private land non-huntable)or off the unit completely.
3--because the SJ has a high bull to cow ratio you can expect that many of the mature (5+ year old) bulls will have broken points even missing portions of their entire main beam.
4--If you do put in and draw, look to the elk ridge portion of the unit and concentrate on the lower benches and mesas. Typically there are a few bulls at the end of these points but be advised that many of the bulls on elk ridge especially those on the south end will go south of highway 95, again off the unit.

Good luck--a fun time of year trying to decide what to do. If you draw, we would be more then happy to take ya;)

Todd Black
BTO

I have hunted it before. I think Todd nailed it. It is a very tough hunt. Good post and good advise Todd.

Over the last few years we have notice alot of elk stay year around down in the area's east and north of town they don't travel up and down the mountain, they are resident bulls, Hard to find a place that will let you hunt, because of the CMU. one place that you should check if you're looking for a out of the way place is Montezuma Canyon area, more and more elk are calling it home, we have seen some nice bulls out there, the area around eastland has a ton of private land but the canyon is mostly Public land. Early spring might be a good time to scout and see what is still out there and have not migrated back into the mountains.
Blanding boy is one of the top guns for that area, he has taken alot of great bulls all over the area from up top to the low lands.
You should do alot of scouting to see which way is best for you.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Only you CAN NOT hunt the Montezuma Canyon area during the SJ late hunt--see my post 'they leave the unit' this is not in the unit. Come on Gator I thought you new better than that:) You coming to the EXPO?

Todd Black
BTO

Thanks I didn't know that.
I can't come up to the Expo I have a wrestling tournament that weekend. Wish I could.
Last year Me and Lil Quinn came right thru Logan on are way to Wyo. We talked to Travis aka Mulepacker, he told us you was living just down the street from him, next time we are up that way we will stop.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom