Santiago's Big-Game Debut

crazyelk

It was Santiago's turn last weekend. It would be his first big-game hunt. Hopefully the result of his first hunt is just the beginning of many more successful hunts down the road.

About a month ago, another member of "Team Ranchitos" and neighbor, Roberto asked Santiago if he would like a youth F-IM antelope tag on ranch that he has been hunting for buck antelope for several years. Without any hesitation and with a big smile on his face said, Santiago said "Yes Sir". That's my boy!

Santiago was very excited to say the least. You see, Santiago has been accompanying his older brother and I for the last few years on many hunts. He was always wondering when it would be his turn to pull the trigger. Finally last November he passed his Hunter Ed. class and was eager to apply for some hunts. He was unsuccessful in the draw so he would have to wait for an opportunity like this and then try to get a youth encouragement elk hunt when they became available. In about three week?s time, he was able to get youth F-IM antelope tag from Roberto and get a youth elk encouragement tag for December. Now Santiago is ready to hunt.

Once he secured his F-IM antelope tag, he was ready to practice with his ?Grandpo Dan?s? Ruger M77 Mark II 6 MM Remington. This rifle belonged to my dad and he used it on many great antelope hunts. Since his passing 7+ years ago, those memories are still fresh on my mind. Having Santiago use ?Grandpo Dan?s? rifle would make his hunt more special too. Santiago went on about 3 times to shoot the rifle. He would have liked to shot more, but his other priority this time of year is football. Good thing the rifle was zeroed perfectly, just like my dad left it. We have never had to make any scope adjustments since my dad had last touched it. Every time we went out I told Santiago that his grandpa was great marksman and told him antelope hunting stories of how ?Grandpo Dan? would take antelope with some great shots. This gave Santiago motivation to shoot like ?Grandpo Dan?. And that he did. He squeezed off every shot well and in little time he was ready and confident.

The hunt came rather quickly. On the way to hunting camp the Friday before the hunt we saw tons of antelope. He kept asking his brother Kiko jr. and I, ?Is that a good one?? ?Should I shoot one like that?? Opening morning Santiago was a little nervous. I told him to concentrate and take some deep breaths. I'll have to admit, I was a little nervous too. Once we jumped in the truck and spotted our first group of antelope we had no time to be nervous.

We stalked a small group of does and some fawns with a couple of one year old (immature) does. I told him that we try to get one of those immature does or doe without a fawn. I told him we would try not to harvest a fawn or mother doe on this hunt. This made it a little difficult. Most of does had fawns and by the time we tried to find an antelope we wanted to shoot, they would run away. Most of the antelope were a bit skittish. The buck hunt from the previous weekend had the educated them pretty darn good. They knew what guys in camo hunched over as they walked meant.

Finally, Santiago would get his break. There was an immature doe walking parallel from our location. I put the Bog-Pods down for a rest and told Santiago to get ready for the shot. As the doe stopped for a few seconds, I put the Leicas on her and laser ranged her at 296 yards. We knew our ballistics at 300 yards, so I told Santiago to hold pretty much dead on with a little right windage to compensate for a stiff crosswind. Santiago squeezed off the shot. We heard the bullet cutting through the wind, then a thud to confirm a solid hit. The young doe hunched over, took a few steps and then went down. That's when Santiago pumped his fist and said ?Yeah!? Santiago had just harvested his first big-game animal with a perfect heart/lung shot just like ?Grandpo Dan?.

The rest of hunting party joined us and hugs and high fives were exchanged. We were all very happy and proud of Santiago. His big brother Kiko jr. came over and told Santiago that he had seen him shoot his antelope from a distance and acknowledged Santiago?s excellent shot placement. He put one arm over Santiago shoulder and told him ?Right on, your first one. This one will eat well?. Yes it will! We?ve already had some steaks. The steaks were very tender and tasty. We cut the steaks about ? thick. Fry or grill them about 4 minutes per side and they are ready for the tortilla with green chili. Man I'm getting myself hungry.

I am very fortunate to enjoy hunting with my sons, wife, family and friends. Like I have said before, I am living the dream of hunting with my sons. My next goal is to get my daughter Daniela who is 6 years old out with us. My wife Gail thinks she will be the best hunter of us all. Hopefully she could join us on Gail?s and Kiko Jr?s elk hunt later this fall. Perhaps four years from now she will be using ?Grandpo Dan?s? rifle to harvest her first antelope. She will probably have to fight Santiago for it. I am not sure who will win. Any bets?

Crazyelk

Santiago with his antelope
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/499100_0277_1.jpg

Kiko Jr.(Elksniper) and Santiago
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/5833100_0279_1.jpg

The Cortez Boys
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/5539100_0280_1.jpg

Roberto and Santiago
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8184100_0284_1.jpg

Congrats to the young man. And kudos to Dad for taking his children hunting!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Santiago, 300 yards off the bog pods for your first kill.

That is awesome dude!!!!!!!!!! Your a dead eye for sure.
And with Grandpas rifle.
way to go!!

Great hunt, Love the story, I'm betting on the girl getting to use the rifle. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Congrats on your first kill. Dad congrats on having kids that are great hunters and having the ability to spend time with them. I cant wait until my daughter is old enough.

Hey Brother, it was great talking to you the other day, I love the excitement in your voice. As said before congrats to you and the boys, on this thread a special Congrats to Santiago. Your dads rifle has done you Gayle Kiko and now Santiago so well. I have to say , I love reading your posts about the times you and the family are out, your words litterally put us in the field with you all, I get to feel a bit of that excitement from your words. Thanls for always taking the time to share with us the hunts a field of the Cortez family...Your mom and dad did a fine job raising a great family man...

Congrates to one Great dad and his two sons antelope hunts this season. Way to go elk sniper and Bro

Cortez boys score again. Well done Santiago and I guess we can look forward to even more pictures in the future.
-Cody

Saint..I want to extend a big congrats to you on my first post here on MonsterMuleys. It looked like you all had a fun,exciting hunt. Congrats on a one shot,kill and the awesome pics of your doe.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom