Savage 116 keeps blowing up

dirtygrass

I recently had my Savage rifle blow up while shooting it. I did not have a blockage in the bore, the bullet left the barrel and the case is still in the chamber. I wanted to warn everyone that may own this rifle, 300 RUM model 116. I know that this is the third exact rifle that has blow up and hurt someone. The rifle was purchased from Sports Authority in 2003 and I believe all three were purchased there. I was the lucky one, no serious injuries only scarring, good thing I was wearing eye protection or my left eye would be gone, they guy in Estes Park almost died. I called Savage and they told me they would do nothing because I don't have a serial number. I have spent 30 hours with a metal detector looking for the remaining parts of the rifle with no luck, we will continue to look.

From what I have heard the locking lugs fail on the rifle.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/650212273/Man-whose-rifle-exploded-files-lawsuit.html?pg=all

6933img_2397.jpg

Sounds like a real problem, to say the least!
Glad to hear you're OK. The gun can be replaced..... with another brand!!!!!!!
Zeke

I forgot to say that the action was made in China. I couldn't believe that Savage wouldn't even talk to me without a serial number. I was Savages biggest fan for along time, if they would have resolved the issue I still would be. The person I talked to put me on hold, talked to a VP and when he came back he was rude as $hit. I have decided not to sue them but make sure everyone knows about their rifles and customer service.

Holy crap, talk about a reason as to developing a "flinch" when shooting a rifle! Glad to hear you are ok! That would be awful to lose eyesight from something like that...
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Over the last decade or so, Savage has developed a reputaion for accuracy and reliability. This is certainly a blackeye for them and the lack of customer service is shocking! They should have sent a rep out to your house with a brand new rifle but instead the insult you on the phone when you almost DIED! Silly way to do business by an otherwise reputable company.
Zeke

The shard of steel left of the bolt in the picture was found 60 yards from where I was shooting, both pieces of the scope were 30 yards behind me and the bolt was 20 yards to the right. I think at this point even if I found the piece with the serial number I would not deal with Savage. I own 6 Savage rifles and will be selling all of them.

Crazy! Thanks for the heads up. Glad your OK

Do you have to have the actual metal with the serial number, or can you get it from your purchase registration?

The only pieces of the rifle we could not find are the top of the action where the scope mounts which are the pieces that contain the serial number. I bought the rifle from Gart Sports in 2003, Garts was purchased by Sports Authority. When a company with a FFL is sold or acquired the records are sent to the ATF warehouse. I have attempted to contact the warehouse several times with no luck. I have kept every box for every rifle I have purchased but cant find that one. Go figure!

Dirtygrass; If you do know that three of those savage rifles in the same caliber have blown up, I would suspect the plant in China who made the actions failed to use quality steel or failed to do a proper heat treat. During the past few years there have been many reports of Chinese companies using inferior products to cut corners.

That caliber is a very high pressure cartidge and over time it may have stressed the steel to the breaking point. You are lucky that bolt did not end sticking out of your head when the lugs went.

If it was just your gun that blew, I would not be too quick about blaming Savage for puttting out a unsafe product. But if it is a fact that you can show that three of them in same caliber did blow up, I would put that information on every firearm web site and hunting web site you can find. There may be a serious need for Savage to recall those rifles before someone end up dying.

Were you by yourself?Usually a few of us go shoot.Could of ended up way worse for you and bystanders.Glad you made it out ok

RELH,

If you look at my original post with the link to the Utah news paper you will see its the same rifle, the comment at the bottom if from the wife of the guy that almost died in Estes Park when his blew up. So...yes there are three of the same guns, bought at the same store all in the same year I believe.

My rifle had less than 50 rounds through it.

I was by myself, it could have been really bad for the people behind me.

I was pretty dazed after it happen, I had no idea what happened, I looked at my rifle and said "what the F$#K happened to my scope, then I said "what the fu@& happened to my rifle. Even with hearing protection my head was ringing.

I did not chit my pants. I looked for the pieces of my rifle for about ten minutes while blood was pouring out of my face, I decided to walk back to the cabin to be sure there wasn't too much damage to my face. A lot of blood and swelling, blew a chunk out of my shoulder and elbow.

It took quite a few rounds from my 10/22 to stop flinching at every trigger pull.

No serial number.....then it must have not happened. Amazing. I can tell you that i will not be buying a Savage for any of my children.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-13 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]Go to the store where you bought it and have themlook up the form 4473 that you filled out to get the serial number. They are required to keep that form forever.

Hmmmm.....nevermind...I see you already tried that....was Gart's a private company?? When my dad sold his business atf came and thumbed through them but left them with him....they don't have to take them.

If you've ever left it with a gunsmith maybe they have it written own

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

Zigger, when I gave up my FFL, I had to send my log book and all the 4473 forms in to ATF. It has been a requirement to submit all 4473 forms and log book since Bill Clinton's term in office when they passed the law about submitting the forms.

RELH

Well RELH.......in 2004 it wasn't mandatory because I have them.....the ATF left them.

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

At this point I really don't care about getting the gun replaced, I want to get the word out so no one dies or is permanently disfigured because of Savage. The sad part is I love their rifles. The good part is my go to hunting rifle is a Savage Long Range Hunter in 300 win mag. I was a little nervous about shooting it so I bought a used .270 Weatherby Ultra light Mark V, best shooting lightest rifle I have ever owned. I am shooting hand loads at max powder and it didn't blow up.

First 3 shot group out of my Weatherby

1579img_0359.jpg

Wow. Scary. I love my 110 hole in hole 338 lapua. That shell case needs to be removed very carefully. I'm betting it will tell what failed. Is the case head still intact. Don't tell savage you reload. It' will be on you.

I've told you Guys for years!

Quit Tampin the Damn Powder!:D

Glad you're OK!

You fixed that Savage!:D

Best Watch Out!
My Arm is starting to Hurt!
I'm about to Itch it!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-13 AT 09:46PM (MST)[p]Well Zigger that ATF agent may have screwed up or your uncle did. When I advised ATF that I would be turning in my FFL, they advised me in written form That I was required to surrender my log book and all 4473 forms with the license or I may face legal action.

If you remember there was a big discussion in Congress over this new ATF requirement of going out of business gun dealers having to surrender log books and 4473 forms for fear of ATF using the forms to compile a registration of what guns citizens owned gained from the log book and 4473 forms. The ATF head honcho and A.G. Janet Reno advised Congress that the records would only be checked for illegal sales and distroyed after 30 days. The NRA stated they did not believe them.
They lied about that to Congress and the NRA and I had personal dealings with ATF as a investigator were I found them still having the 4473 forms in their records 3 years later on a gun dealer that had gone out of business and turned in his 4473 forms as requested by ATF.

Better watch or the black helicopters will be circling your house looking for those forms.

In 2004 George Bush was president, he may have stopped ATF from gathering that information that was started by Bill Clinton's Adminstration and enforced by A.G. Janet Reno another big anti gunner even worse then Clinton.

RELH

WOW, that can make a guy nervous. That sucks about customer service. I would keep bothering them

I posted the picture of my rifle on Savage's Facebook and their forum. Those guys think I loaded my hand loads with pistol powder and unscrewed my barrel.

As REDDOG once said:

"""I better Back that load Off another 40 Grains!:D:D:D"""

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

If any piece of that Savage POS was built in China I'll never Own one!

You think China gives a Rats Ass about Quality?

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

Dirtygrass you are dealing with some diehard Savage fans and they would prefer to put the blame on you instead of their pet rifles.
I am sure you have the remaining cartidges left, saw about five in your picture on the stock band shellholder that can be checked for wrong powder if loaded with the round that blew up.
Also I believe you stated your load was 2 grains below max in your book and I am sure you used a loading block to load shells with powder and did a visual check to determine all cartidges in the block held the same level of powder before seating any bullets.

If so advise those Savage fans of that and request that all owners of that caliber with China made receivers that they are at risk and should contact Savage. If Savage advises them that all is well with those actions, they should document who they talked too and date and time in the advent their gun does blow up down the road and they will have a better case to pursue against Savage.

I have not heard of Savage issueing any recall on those actions and if Savage is aware that there has been three blowups with the same action and caliber, they are putting their dollar and reputation infront of the safety of their customers. One of the reasons the folks who sued and won can not talk about the case as Savage hung a disclaimer to stop all statements before they agreed to pay out the money.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-13 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]I've owned a Savage 111 for year, I've got Brownings, Remingtons, Winchesters, and other as well, but I've quite enjoyed this Savage, it shoots soft and straight, I really like it but, I have no interest in removing a junk of metal from my forehead either.

I appreciate your sharing your accident (or what ever you call it) with us.

Has anyone else had a similar problem (or what ever you call it) with any other Savage rifle manufactured in the last 3 or 4 years, regardless of the model or caliber?

No firearm is worth risking ones well being over. Not interested in what Savage might have to say, but value fellow sportsmen's real world experiences.

Thanks
DC

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-13 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]

....if the case is still in the chamber....and the head is still attached to it, and the chamber didn't rupture......wtf happened to the receiver???...where did the pressure come from????

....and don't get me wrong...I am not questioning that it happened at all....I am just trying to figure out exactly what failed????

I'll bet if it woulda had an Obama Barrel on it,it mighta not been as Straight as the Silver Barrel after the Blow-Up?:D:D:D

We had a Local a few Years back get Maimed by a Savage!

Don't know whatever happened?

Anybody know?

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

The head of the case is not attached, from the belt forward is still in the chamber. I have pulled the bullet of two of the left over rounds and weight the charge bother where right on the money. I checked my RCBS digital scale/powder dump VS my mechanical scale and it is accurate, I weighed the components of the pulled cartridge and compared the weight to the remaining live rounds and they are all the same. I verified all my reloading data to be sure I didn't mix powder charge with bullet. I have been hand loading for 30 years and have never made a mistake.

I am curious what Savage will do when I call them with a serial number.

I believe the manual states hand loads are "not Recommended" but don't void the warranty.

Savage is aware of the issue, they have been sued twice and my phone call.

I
>was a little nervous about
>shooting it so I bought
>a used .270 Weatherby Ultra
>light Mark V, best shooting
>lightest rifle I have ever
>owned. I am shooting
>hand loads at max powder
>and it didn't blow up.
>
>
>First 3 shot group out of
>my Weatherby
>
>
1579img_0359.jpg

Huh, cant be..Salvage is the only rifle that accurate "right out of the box". Your in for another treat when you go to clean it, being your a long time salvage fan I think a bore that isnt a rough as a cob copper mine will be a real eye opener.

Told ya so..

I purchased the Weatherby for the safety features they built into their rifles. I heard when I was younger that they had some accuracy problems and never really looked into the rumors. I can tell you now that my new go to rifle is my Weatherby and will purchase more of them.

Glad you survived that mess. I owned an older 300 WBY Mark V Deluxe for several years. I LOVED that gun. Tack driver and was built like a tank. Heavy guns but you solved that issue with the ultra light. Hopefully that one treats you better!

Update,

I was contacted by Savage due to this thread, by PM saying Savage wanted to resolve the issue. I called the number that was left in the PM and left several messages. I was never contacted by the person that sent the PM but the original person(customer service) I talked with from Savage. Savage agreed to let me return the rifle and Savage would determine fault, no matter the outcome I would never be able to get the rifle back due to ATF rules(which I dispute). The rifle is not a rifle any longer, the ATF has no say in the matter.
I email the person that contacted me through MM 7 days ago with no response. I emailed him again today. Now I really understand that they have zero interest in resolving this.

Be sure if you own a Savage 116 300 ultra mag you get it inspected by a quality gunsmith.

Kinda looks like the bolt wasn't closed when the firing pin dropped. Lots of rearward pressures on that bolt? Never seen this before an weird it's been seen on other 300ultras.

The research that has been done says the locking lugs fail, so there has been three of us with the exact same rifle bought the exact same year from the exact same store, that did not close the bolt? Rearward pressure is right, you should have seen my face after the explosion.

Yea true that on the bolt not closed theory. Crazy. Someone sabotaged you 3 from the store you bought your savages. 8^)

Update - I sent a picture of my rifle and scope to Burris - being a smart ass I asked if the scope would be covered under warranty. Burris told me the scope would not be covered but to send it to Burris and they would give me a discount on a new one. Today I received a new scope in the mail at no charge.

What a awesome company!!!!

I am a huge Burris fan and now it will be the only scope I ever buy again.

Your experience with Burris is better than mine. I had some bino's with a lifetime warranty. The ring where you run your strap through broke. I told their rep exactly what happened and he said we'll take care of it. I sent them in and some guy called and said they're not covered. I gave them the info about the rep who said it was covered and asked them to honor their word. They refused and then lost them. 5 - 6 weeks later I got them back. I wrote the head turd at Burris, Robert Siemers, as well as the clowns at Beretta and never got a reply. Tossed them in a box and haven't used them since...

So?

Did Burris owe you a New Scope?

I only ask because after beating a Leupold I had for years they sent me a New Scope & I got Hammered by MM'ers claiming Leupold didn't Owe me a New Scope,further more,I never asked for a New Scope neither,But they sent me one!

Probably Ain't gonna Pass the MM Ethics so you'd best Box the Scope back up & send it back to Burris & Hope Savage sends you a New Gun!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-13 AT 03:22AM (MST)[p]The news about your scope gives me hope.I sent my FF2 in to Burris a couple of weeks ago after the windage knob came out when I removed the cap.I talked to one of the techs there and he assured me it could be easily repaired.I have heard mixed reviews of Burris's warranty service, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.I do know Leupold has a warranty that is top notch.My brother dropped his rifle and bent the scope and Leupold replaced it no problem.I hope you can get some resolution shout your rifle.I am a big Savage fan since I am a lefty and Savage has the greatest selection of Left Hand rifles among all manufacturers.I have looked for any other cases of Savage 300U mags blowing up but have not found any.The one thing I did find is the 116 series chambered in 300U mag use a different bolt configuration than their conventional push feed bolt.Have you been to the Savage Shooters forum? Maybe someone there can shed some light on what happened to your gun.

Here is what I found regarding changes made to the Savage 300RUM series bolt heads.Courtesy of Sharp Shooter Supply. . Firing Pins & Bolt Faces
Over the last several years Savage has incorporated some design changes that need to be addressed in order to acquire the correct parts for your Savage rifle project.

For the last several years, Savage has used a smaller diameter firing pin on their magnum caliber rifles. The reason behind this is the bolt head retaining pin can use a small diameter through hole which makes it stronger. The standard caliber firing pin measures .145" in the area it would pass through the cross pin, the magnum pins are .095" in that area. Because the firing pin diameter is smaller, the cross pin hole is smaller. So is the the diameter of the hole through the bolt head.

Starting in 2001, Savage firing pin diameters were reduced on ALL models. Therefore, when ordering bolt heads it is important to know what diameter firing pin you have to work around.

On the WSM and UltraMag calibers, Savage changed to a controlled round feed bolt head in order to provide reliable feeding from the magazine. This bolt head differs from the rest by having the bottom lip cut away from the bolt face so that the cartridge rim can slide into the extractor instead of snapping over the extractor. Instead of a spring loaded ejector in the bolt face, this bolt head uses a standing ejector located at the rear of the receiver that pops up through a slot on the bottom left side of the bolt head to tip the case out. This is the only way to get the larger cases to feed from a magazine. Also... Barrel Shanks
In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.

However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.

I own one of their small caliber rifles but have always been leary of their larger caliber stuff because of the made in china and the low prices. The cuts have to come somewhere and its not CEO's pocketbook.

Easy.... Don't buy a Savage chambered in a RUM cartridge. I wouldn't buy one in any chambering, but that's a personal choice. mtmuley

I read somewhere that they had barrel nuts that cracked and the barrel would loosen up and screw up the headspace...I don't know if this is what happened to yours but it sounds like a reasonable answer...dgarrett

RULE # 1!

DO NOT BUY CHINA built JUNK!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Even though I am pissed about what happened my Savage 300wm Long Range Hunter is the best shooting rifle I own and I own several rifles. The research I have done shows that Savage does not have actions or barrels manufactured in China any longer. I know their higher end stuff is all manufactured in USA.

I would put Burris XTR rifle scopes up against any scope on the market, I own Zeiss, Leupold VX4, Nikon, Swaro and with my yes I can't tell a difference. I do not have any experience with any Customer Service department except for Swaro and Burris. I did not expect to receive a new scope, I expected them to give me a discount based on being a loyal customer and they went above and beyond.

Just a question I'm unfamiliar with the 116 Savage I have owned several other Savage rifles and I always thought they were the best bang for your buck rifle on the market but after seeing the catastrophic failure of the receiver and what remains of your rifle I have to ask. Was the hole in the front of the receiver plugged or blocked in any way, Ive only heard about two other failures like yours that didn't have a blocked barrel and in both other cases the pressure relief hole on the front right hand side of the receiver were plugged with dirt and both times the guns were using hand loads. Just a thought as to what might have caused the destruction.

"WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW" "REVOLUTION
BECOMES DUTY" unknown

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

I'll bet it's a day or two before He has REDDOG Reload him any more Ammo!:D

Nothin Like Tampin the Powder!

>Even though I am pissed about
>what happened my Savage 300wm
>Long Range Hunter is the
>best shooting rifle I own
>and I own several rifles.
> The research I have
>done shows that Savage does
>not have actions or barrels
>manufactured in China any longer.
>I know their higher end
>stuff is all manufactured in
>USA.
>
>I would put Burris XTR rifle
>scopes up against any scope
>on the market, I own
>Zeiss, Leupold VX4, Nikon, Swaro
>and with my yes I
>can't tell a difference.
>I do not have any
>experience with any Customer Service
>department except for Swaro and
>Burris. I did not
>expect to receive a new
>scope, I expected them to
>give me a discount based
>on being a loyal customer
>and they went above and
>beyond.
Did Savage EVER use chinese made receivers on their rifles?I was thinking about this today and it does not make sense.Savage is on the East coast of the US.Any savings from buying chinese made receivers would be eaten up by shipping costs.Savage does not make enough rifles per yr to realize any savings from buying receivers from china IMHO.The only thing that makes sense is if Savage used STEEL from china(or Korea)since the US steel industry has had fierce competition from them over the last 20yrs.

Typical POS Savage Rifle.. why anyone would bother with one just astounds me. They aren't worth scrap metal IMO.

Well.......That is just about enough!

You want to bash an American company, who stands behind it's product, that's fine, but I got an idea that YOU are not a reasonable customer when you began discussions with the company.

That is the problem with most consumer problems......you hit the factory rep/customer service person, without first calmly explaining your position.

I have several Savage rifles, in several different calibers and have NEVER had a problem with any of them. I will put 2 or 3 of them up against anything you got, under any adverse conditions.

If you find a company making ANY product ANYWHERE in the world, that has never had a problem, please let me know.

Even God can't get it right every time.......as proved constantly by some of the Nimrods on this site!"

If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

>Well.......That is just about enough!
>
>You want to bash an American
>company, who stands behind it's
>product, that's fine, but I
>got an idea that YOU
>are not a reasonable customer
>when you began discussions with
>the company.
>
> That is the problem with
>most consumer problems......you hit the
>factory rep/customer service person, without
>first calmly explaining your position.
>
>
>I have several Savage rifles, in
>several different calibers and have
>NEVER had a problem with
>any of them. I will
>put 2 or 3 of
>them up against anything you
>got, under any adverse conditions.
>
>
> If you find a company
>making ANY product ANYWHERE in
>the world, that has never
>had a problem, please let
>me know.
>
>Even God can't get it right
>every time.......as proved constantly by
>some of the Nimrods on
>this site!"
>
>If you get upset or offended
>by ANY website forum
>post.....especially mine, you need serious
>intervention!"

Well, If no one else will take Nick up on his offer to put his Savage rifles up against anything you've got... I'll take that challenge :)

Say when Nick.

oh, before you get in over your head.. I have 3 Surgeon rifles. Two are chambered in the 300win mag and 1 In the 338Lapua. If you aren't familiar with Surgeon, their website is surgeonrifles.com

I own the Scalpel long action and the Remedy. Topped off with Nigh force scopes. I reload my own bullets and have some sweet loads worked out for each.

Let me know when you want to head out to the hills and see how a real AMERICAN rifle shoots from Prague, Oklahoma :) These aren't just Target or Military rifles, these are good all round hunting rifles as well.

I'm trying to make the point that Savage isn't all it is cracked up to be. They knew that particular rifle in the RUM has way too much pressure building up to be supported properly in that rifle. The RUM's need an XL action, IMO to be safe.

Heck- I just had my new 300 RUM basically blow up on a shot on a nice buck. Kinda scary-not sure4 I trust that caliber now and it was only the second animal I shot with it!

>Heck- I just had my new
>300 RUM basically blow up
>on a shot on a
>nice buck. Kinda scary-not
>sure4 I trust that caliber
>now and it was only
>the second animal I shot
>with it!

***Man, what is going on out there. I'm glad I rely on my 06s!!!

>Heck- I just had my new
>300 RUM basically blow up
>on a shot on a
>nice buck. Kinda scary-not
>sure4 I trust that caliber
>now and it was only
>the second animal I shot
>with it!

Appleman;Was your rifle made by Savage or another Mfr?I notice that Savage no longer offers any rifles chambered in the RUM cartridges.I am still a Savage fan and will shoot my 300mag with confidence,but at the same time I think Savage needs to step up to the plate and deal with these 3 people who had their rifles blow up.If someone pushes hard enough,they will be able to bring a case against Savage to court;and they may be able to get some traction there.It needs to be settled whether it was a defect in the rifles,or the hand loads(or factory loads)that caused these rifles to fail.

JUDAS PRIEST Nicky!

It's Christmas for GAWDS SAKE!

I've got a Gun or two that Ain't made by Savage I'd challenge you with Nicky!:D

I've got a Few I wouldn't Challenge anybody with!

I think you can get Good or Bad from any Brand!

I even Own a Savage-Anchutz Nicky!

The Part that Bothers Me Nicky,If they used CHINA Built BS on any part of the Gun it is total BS,now I don't know that they did,just sayin!

And Yes Nicky I do realize a lot of Sshhitt is Built in CHINA these days & I deal with it all the time!

A Bunch of F'N Garbage for the most part,but what do you do,it Ain't like there's a choice on a lot of items!

If the SAVAGE Guns are Blowing up due to SUB-STANDARD Materials/Workmanship/Piss Poor China Metals I Hope they get their Asses Sued Off before somebody gets Hurt!

So COOL IT Nicky!

Your Gun Safe's must not have nothing but Savage Rifles in them & that's OK!:D

Gotta RAZZ Ya Nicky!:D

Merry Christmas you Ole Fart!

And PS Nicky!

Let us know if Santa Brought you a New Savage 300 RUM or a 338 RUM?:D:D:D

No-my RUM is a custom job by MG arms and I was shooting their custom loads at seven fifty a shot. Just not sure if I will ever trust this gun or caliber. I almost feel lucky I wasn't really hurt. We will see what they will do???

I did that to a savage 25 years ago. I repeat I did that to a savage. No I didn't over load it or get the wrong powder. Every savage I have ever seen has a short throat. I simply didn't seat the bullet at the right depth. I remember it very well. As I cammed over the bolt I remember it being very "tight". When it went off I was much luckier than you were. The gun held but gas escaped out the front receiver holes. The primer failed and gas came back. It melted the extractor and all the springs in the end of the bolt.
I took it to a gun smith that repaired it. He told me at the time that I was lucky I was using a Savage. He thought that the PSI would have exceeded 75,000 PSI. He guess was just that a guess but after talking to him we figured out what had happened.
I also have a 06 and I have loaded for several other Savages. I still have the one that "saved" my life.
I am not saying that you did or didn't do something wrong. We do know one thing, something went wrong.
Your lucky to have came out of it okay. Ron

>No-my RUM is a custom job
>by MG arms and I
>was shooting their custom loads
>at seven fifty a shot.
> Just not sure if
>I will ever trust this
>gun or caliber. I
>almost feel lucky I wasn't
>really hurt. We will
>see what they will do???
>

Not trust the CARTRIDGE? Really?
Maybe you shouldn't trust THAT rifle or THOSE loads but the cartridge is not to blame for any of these mishaps!
Zeke

Yes-You are right but for some reason now I don't seem to trust something that is that hot---Im probably wrong but it seems there would be less chance for that problem which I never want to happen again---hope I get over it??

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-13 AT 07:53AM (MST)[p]I've been shooting a .300 RUM since 2000 and hundreds of rounds later, my rifle is still in one piece, so I think the cartridge itself is not to blame. I don't own any Savages, but know guys that do and they don't have rifles blowing up. Seems it's their action used for the RUM that's the problem. appleman, looks like you need MGs Infinity Guarantee. Saw it on their site looking for their ammo. If you are paying $7.50 per round, you are getting hosed. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-13 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]
>Well, If no one else will
>take Nick up on his
>offer to put his Savage
>rifles up against anything you've
>got... I'll take that challenge
>:)
>
>Say when Nick.
>
>oh, before you get in over
>your head.. I have 3
>Surgeon rifles. Two are chambered
>in the 300win mag and
>1 In the 338Lapua. If
>you aren't familiar with Surgeon,
>their website is surgeonrifles.com
>
>I own the Scalpel long action
>and the Remedy. Topped off
>with Nigh force scopes. I
>reload my own bullets and
>have some sweet loads worked
>out for each.
>
>Let me know when you want
>to head out to the
>hills and see how a
>real AMERICAN rifle shoots from
>Prague, Oklahoma :) These aren't
>just Target or Military rifles,
>these are good all round
>hunting rifles as well.
>
>I'm trying to make the point
>that Savage isn't all it
>is cracked up to be.
>They knew that particular rifle
>in the RUM has way
>too much pressure building up
>to be supported properly in
>that rifle. The RUM's need
>an XL action, IMO to
>be safe.

##################

Well, I shouldn't bother to respond, but it is just too dumb an issue not to.

In the first place this thread was about a gun blowing up......not an accuracy challenge. Now all of a sudden, my $700.00 rifle is being compared to a custom built "NON FACTORY", precision piece of equipment?

My offer stands. My Savage "factory" rifles against any other "factory" rifles, in a test of durability, performance under adverse conditions, overloaded ammunition, customer service and yes, accuracy.
Lets get a little mud, dirt, ice, etc, into your Sturgeon Rifle and see how it performs!

While most firearms manufacturers are hesitant to call their customers IDIOTS, I labor under no such inhibitions.......90% of these type of failures are NOT factory defects. I spent 20 years in the Sporting Goods retail business and have seen MANY examples.

The OP has probably got a legitimate failure, based on the photos, but there are some grey areas in the story.

I suspect Savage customer service's side of the story may well be different.

That is all I am going to say on this matter.
"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
intervention!"

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-13
>AT 12:03?PM (MST)

>
>
>>Well, If no one else will
>>take Nick up on his
>>offer to put his Savage
>>rifles up against anything you've
>>got... I'll take that challenge
>>:)
>>
>>Say when Nick.
>>
>>oh, before you get in over
>>your head.. I have 3
>>Surgeon rifles. Two are chambered
>>in the 300win mag and
>>1 In the 338Lapua. If
>>you aren't familiar with Surgeon,
>>their website is surgeonrifles.com
>>
>>I own the Scalpel long action
>>and the Remedy. Topped off
>>with Nigh force scopes. I
>>reload my own bullets and
>>have some sweet loads worked
>>out for each.
>>
>>Let me know when you want
>>to head out to the
>>hills and see how a
>>real AMERICAN rifle shoots from
>>Prague, Oklahoma :) These aren't
>>just Target or Military rifles,
>>these are good all round
>>hunting rifles as well.
>>
>>I'm trying to make the point
>>that Savage isn't all it
>>is cracked up to be.
>>They knew that particular rifle
>>in the RUM has way
>>too much pressure building up
>>to be supported properly in
>>that rifle. The RUM's need
>>an XL action, IMO to
>>be safe.
>
>##################
>
>Well, I shouldn't bother to respond,
>but it is just too
>dumb an issue not to.
>
>
> In the first place this
>thread was about a gun
>blowing up......not an accuracy challenge.
>Now all of a sudden,
>my $700.00 rifle is being
>compared to a custom built
>"NON FACTORY", precision piece of
>equipment?
>
>My offer stands. My Savage "factory"
>rifles against any other "factory"
>rifles, in a test of
>durability, performance under adverse conditions,
>overloaded ammunition, customer service and
>yes, accuracy.
>Lets get a little mud, dirt,
>ice, etc, into your Sturgeon
>Rifle and see how it
>performs!
>
> While most firearms manufacturers are
>hesitant to call their customers
>IDIOTS, I labor under no
>such inhibitions.......90% of these type
>of failures are NOT factory
>defects. I spent 20 years
>in the Sporting Goods retail
>business and have seen MANY
>examples.
>
>The OP has probably got a
>legitimate failure, based on the
>photos, but there are some
>grey areas in the story.
>
>
>I suspect Savage customer service's side
>of the story may well
>be different.
>
>That is all I am going
>to say on this matter.
>
>"If you get upset or offended
>by ANY website forum
>intervention!"

Well, pardon the hell out of me Nick. I didnt realize you were the thread Nazi. You stated 'ANY rifle I've got' and that's what I've got.
Don't start back pedaling one me now. Tell you what.. I'll go grab my Remington 30-06, Pre 64 and challange you then.
Or, better yet.. I'll let you shoot any of my Surgeons and I'll pick one and see how good your shooting skills really are. (joking) (simmer down)

To OP: I'd stick with it. Savage needs to drop the act and make it right. That's a good way for a company to lose credibility. I would also get with some other owners that have had failures and discuss it.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-13
>AT 12:03?PM (MST)

>
>
>>Well, If no one else will
>>take Nick up on his
>>offer to put his Savage
>>rifles up against anything you've
>>got... I'll take that challenge
>>:)
>>
>>Say when Nick.
>>
>>oh, before you get in over
>>your head.. I have 3
>>Surgeon rifles. Two are chambered
>>in the 300win mag and
>>1 In the 338Lapua. If
>>you aren't familiar with Surgeon,
>>their website is surgeonrifles.com
>>
>>I own the Scalpel long action
>>and the Remedy. Topped off
>>with Nigh force scopes. I
>>reload my own bullets and
>>have some sweet loads worked
>>out for each.
>>
>>Let me know when you want
>>to head out to the
>>hills and see how a
>>real AMERICAN rifle shoots from
>>Prague, Oklahoma :) These aren't
>>just Target or Military rifles,
>>these are good all round
>>hunting rifles as well.
>>
>>I'm trying to make the point
>>that Savage isn't all it
>>is cracked up to be.
>>They knew that particular rifle
>>in the RUM has way
>>too much pressure building up
>>to be supported properly in
>>that rifle. The RUM's need
>>an XL action, IMO to
>>be safe.
>
>##################
>
>Well, I shouldn't bother to respond,
>but it is just too
>dumb an issue not to.
>
>
> In the first place this
>thread was about a gun
>blowing up......not an accuracy challenge.
>Now all of a sudden,
>my $700.00 rifle is being
>compared to a custom built
>"NON FACTORY", precision piece of
>equipment?
>
>My offer stands. My Savage "factory"
>rifles against any other "factory"
>rifles, in a test of
>durability, performance under adverse conditions,
>overloaded ammunition, customer service and
>yes, accuracy.
>Lets get a little mud, dirt,
>ice, etc, into your Sturgeon
>Rifle and see how it
>performs!
>
> While most firearms manufacturers are
>hesitant to call their customers
>IDIOTS, I labor under no
>such inhibitions.......90% of these type
>of failures are NOT factory
>defects. I spent 20 years
>in the Sporting Goods retail
>business and have seen MANY
>examples.
>
>The OP has probably got a
>legitimate failure, based on the
>photos, but there are some
>grey areas in the story.
>
>
>I suspect Savage customer service's side
>of the story may well
>be different.
>
>That is all I am going
>to say on this matter.
>
>by ANY website forum
>intervention!"

So Naughty Nicky?

You ever shot any of REDDOGS Re-Loads?

Sounds like you're TAMPIN the Powder too?

So?

The Customer is always Wrong?

grey areas?

He's Lucky their Ain't some Bloody Areas!

I won't ask what Breed of Truck you Drive Nicky!:D

Hey Nicky?

My Anschutz is Perty Accurate!

You sure you want to Challenge it?

Could you guys get an ADULT to read these threads?

Just exactly where did I challenge anyone to a shooting contest?

This was a mechanical issue and a customer service issue and I will stand behind my comments in that regard.

Sorry if I scuffed up your "manhood issues", so if you are in the Sierra Nevada desert area, look me up and I will shoot against you??and IF you beat me, you may feel better??.just don't expect me to care at all.

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
intervention!"

>Could you guys get an ADULT
>to read these threads?
>
> Just exactly where did I
>challenge anyone to a shooting
>contest?
>
>This was a mechanical issue and
>a customer service issue and
>I will stand behind my
>comments in that regard.
>
>Sorry if I scuffed up your
>"manhood issues", so if you
>are in the Sierra Nevada
>desert area, look me up
>and I will shoot against
>you??and IF you beat me,
>you may feel better??.just don't
>expect me to care at
>all.
>
>by ANY website forum
>intervention!"

Come on Nicky!

Your "Give a Damn" can't be gone already!

I'm warning you Nicky!

I've got Guns that are good out to 300 Yards!:D:D:D

Good only to 300 yards huh? I feel sorry for ya Bess.
(Just hackin' on ya a little)
Zeke

>Those are just his muzzleloaders. ;-)
>

Damn it Ron!:D

I'll include my .22 Magnum in there too!:D

Good thing you guys clarified that. I was feeling sorry for Bess.
My first thought was to loan him one of mine but my second thought was "nah", he'd just get spoiled by using one of mine (none are savage).
Zeke

300 yds that a far shot at night with a spotlight. But hey if anyone can do it, My money is on a guy from the basin. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom