Scent Eliminating Clothing

nmwapiti

How effective is this stuff? I noticed alot of hunters who post pics here don't seem to use it. Is it all hype? I am just getting into bow hunting and am wondering if it is a necessary investment.

My opinion for what its worth is that it's ineffective. Once your start sweating and of course breathing scent is released. Maybe if you were sitting in a tree stand and not sweating.

Gotta use the wind when you are hunting. I dont think there is any getting around it.

Ditto, for the price, it is definately not worth it. You can cut down on the scent but you will not get scent free. You will still need to hunt the wind. I have had a set of Scentlok for 5 years now and I have not noticed a difference between it and non scent eliminating clothes.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-08 AT 09:52AM (MST)[p]I agree as well. Not worth the investment. The only effective scentlock I have ever used besides rolling in fresh elk piss is a bottle of windicator (chalk in a squeeze bottle) and staying downwind of animals I am calling or stalking. I would focus more on an affordable camo pattern that is quiet and effectively breaks up your outline. All it takes is for one scent molecule to hit an animal's nose and you are done for. By the time you get to where you want to hunt or get into position on an animal you have probably sweated too much for it to be effective.

The only situation I have effectively used scentlock undergarments is while sitting in tree stands for whitetail in the Midwest. But that also means not wearing your outergarments in your truck or contaminating them in any way, shape or form and constantly recharging your scentlock by sticking it in the dryer every night (ie., not effective for western big game). But, even then, I have been busted by deer while the guy wearing a Carhart jacket and jeans and smoking in his stand arrows a big buck every year...

I remember seeing a post sometime back discussing this very topic,I think it was in the general hunting forum or the camp fire. Anyway, there seemed to be a number of people with specific detailed info really calling into question the effectiveness of this expensive garment. The bottom line, as I recall, is that the scent absorbing aspect of the clothing gets saturated with human scent in short order and thus the clothing is really not effective. In addition the claims that all you need to do to reactivate the scent absorbing aspect of the clothing (i.e. simply throw the garments in the dryer) was a bunch of bunk because to do so would require the clothes to be dried at such high temperatures that no ordinary dryer could do it. So after reading all this stuff I have made the decision never to buy this stuff.

My Grandfather and others never even heard of this clothing and did just fine without it.
Brian
479ccae753e6945a.jpg

kilowat that is a cool pic. I cant imagine he killed that bear with the Pea-Shooter in his hand.
Did he trap it??

Too be honest I don't remember as I was only 6 back then. But Gramps always carried that German Luger with him.
He along with my uncle and some others in area were trappers for Kali (Nevada County).
Might have used the hounds to corner it just don't know and all of my relatives who were around back then are gone now.

Brian

>. I strongly agree with everyone here its not that big a deal I've guided alot of out of staters that swear by it but when you get to sweating like a pig itdoes no good (WATCH THE WIND AND DEEP IN MIND THE THERMALS AND THE TIME THEY SHIFT WHERE YOU ARE AT) i'm not saying not to buy any we all like new gear just use your good hunting dommon sence good luck.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom