Scope Guidance

JadgBob

I just bought a 22-250 and I am trying to decide which adjustable scope would be a good versatile choice for the gun. I may shoot some from a rest but for the most part I plan on using it as a walking varmint rifle. To clarify the question, would your choice be:3x9, 3.5x10, 4x14 (or any other variation that you have had success with and enjoy shooting).
This is my first varmint rifle so any input you can give will be appreciated.
Thanks for your help,
Bob

LAST EDITED ON May-17-11 AT 00:53AM (MST)[p]Any of the ones you mentioned will work fine..Having said that, the higher magnification is nice when you need it.. Hard to go wrong with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40mm... Or if you're trying to save some coin a VX2 4-12X40mm...

I was replying the same time Joey was...Like he said stay away from cheap scopes...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I've said this before; every scope I've purchased that was not a Leupold has been a dissapointment. Just get a VX1 and it will last you a lifetime.

When you say "walking varmint rifle" I think yotes. If this is a calling rifle a 3X9 is fine. I"ve got a 4X12 on my 22-250 and it might as well be a fixed 9.

If you are looking at shooting rock chucks or similar then a 4X12 or better might be nice. IMHO, a heavy barreled rifle with a high mag scope if far from the ideal yote rifle.

Thanks for your responses!

The gun is a Sako L579 (one of the older Foresters) and it does not have the heavy barrel. I am pretty excited about picking it up and getting it ready to shoot.
Joey, my son in Hat Creek, about an hour toward Burney from you, said they have been getting a little snow this week. Same thing in in the Almanor area?

--Bob

Bob, Yeah, we got a bunch of snow here Tuesday, snowed pretty much all day, but it won't stick long or amount to anything. Winters way of letting us know that she's done with us when she wants to be done with us!

It's just been a nasty spell these past few days. I had to turn my heater back on, thought i'da been done with that!

Bob, I've had my share of Leupold scopes and a guy certainly can't go wrong in buying one of them. I just kinda got sticker shock on some of their prices and got tired of paying the higher dollar for their "better" scopes with higher magnifications and the rest of the goodies. I went to Burris Signature Series on the recommendation of a guide buddy up in Alaska. He puts Burris on all his guns and swears by them. I got to digging around and found that i could easily save $2-300. on a scope of very near if not the same quality as Leupold's top of the line stuff by going with Burris. They make a great scope, not saying they're better, but i like my two a lot, they've been well tested, and i sure ain't looking back.

Joey

I've used some fullfields and they weren't half the scope the comparably priced Leupolds were. The signature series is a step up and I believe its American made. I'm sure its a fine scope as well. I have not used Burris customer service though. I'll never buy another Nikon product again as they pulled sponsorship of calling contests because the wolf lovers threatened to boycott Nikon's camera division. I can boycott too.

Check out the Leupold Rifleman series if you want a good quality scope at a decent price,same warranty and all.Mines been very good to me.

I have only used Leupold scopes and have never had any problems with them. I just recently purchased a new Redfield(leupold made) scope in 4x12x40 for 209.00 dollars. I am really impressed with the quality of the scope, and they carry a lifetime warranty from leupold. The optics compare to the vx-1 for less money. Might be worth looking into. Joe

I like Leupold just like many on here. Have used them for over 30 years with no issues. Every time I try a different comparably-priced scope I wonder why I did.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom