scope level

GONHUNTIN

Anyone use a scope level a couple coworkers tell me it is a must have for my rifle I disagree with them but they insist what advantages does it have if any

If you put it on straight without a level it no problem. Yes it does matter. You can get a inexpensive leveling kit at most outdoors stores.

Normal distances you expect to find during hunting no more than 600yards I am not into long range shooting it just wrong in my opinion.

Then I would say no, you do not need one. 600 yards is a ways, but it can be done consistently without a level. Guess your co-workers must shoot LR huh? mtmuley

No they just idiots :) they wish they could shoot long ranges but they miss most times and even back out of a shooting contest I challenge them to they say I can't shoot ad well as I say but won't let me prove it to them bur tell me they can out shoot me

I would say if you are going to do it, do it right the first time. As far as long range goes. To some people 150 to 200 yards is far. 600 yards is pretty far in most peoples book. I do shoot target out to 1000 yards and further. The furthest I have ever shot a animal is 635 yards. A buck deer is pretty small that far out.
You don't need anything special to mount a scope on a rifle straight. If you have a small level . Find a flat spot on the rifle and level it first. Now when you mount the scope do the same thing keeping the rifle straight. The kits come with small magnetic levels to make it easy.
If you need to barrow one just let us know. I am sure any of us would lend you one. What area are you from ? Most shops will also help you if you just ask them, Good luck.

Obviously mounting a scope level/square to the rifle is very important but I bet you're friends were actually talking about this kind of level...For shooting

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3256124741/flatline-ops-fixed-scope-level-matte

Having you're rifle level is important for the longer shots..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I have used a level when mounting my scopes but have often found that i don't then like the sight picture i'm seeing when i do. I don't shoot at game much past 500 yds and only them under ideal conditions.

i set my scope according to where my eye likes it while in a shooting position, then i'll cheat it a bit more over towards perfect level. Works for me. Some others scopes i have looked thru seem to me, to be unbelievably off.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

A scope level will help improve your shooting at longer ranges IMO. It isnt a complete necessity but from my experience helps group size and first shot hits closer to bullseye. There are many other factors that contribute much more than a level though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom