SCORE THIS RAM !

S

SWD

Help me score this RAM new to the game!

5572sdc11986.jpg

8867sdc11997.jpg

7667sdc11995.jpg

5504sdc11988.jpg

i am not good at scoring rams but it seems he is not a full curl yet. so my guess is mid 140's to 150's. seems to have really good mass but i cant tell how big his curl is without a side shot

Looks like he broke/broomed off about 4" to 5" on the right side, with that being said I think he would go about 147.

Pretty hard to accurately score a ram without knowing A little more info. Is he a Rocky, Cali Rocky, or a Desert sheep? Where (what unit) is he living? Depending on all those factors, he might be a great ram for the unit, or he might be a dink.

I may have to retract my answer and say "dittos" on Littlebighorns answer. I think he hit it on the nail.

I was thinking it was a desert sheep. I will stick to the 147, maybe 150, that would be with the deduction of the right horn.

Strange, how one horn tips up and the other doesn't? I'm gonna say 151 ish

Nothing really strange about it as he just broomed the right side off and it's blunt compared to the good curl on the left side.

I have him at 157 net and 164 gross.
that is based off an ear length of 2.25 inches and an eye width of 1.25 inches.
I use those numbers in a program that then calculates horn measurements.
It spit out those numbers.

The pictures of the ram are really hard to judge because they are not clear and show limited views of the ram. You really need to see the left side better to be very accurate.
I was leaning towards a guess in the mid 150s but I don't know Arizona sheep and I am certainly not an expert. You have to keep in mind when judging sheep/goats/antelope, that a fraction of an inch on the base measurement can make a huge difference in the total score. Horn length is less critical than mass. With those pictures estimating a score is a crap shoot.
SWD those hunts usually run the whole month of December but you should check out that info on your own to be sure. If you want a good read for an Arizona hunt, check out the post by DonMartin below.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom