Scoring Guessing Game

EliAGrimmett

Here's a video guessing game to pass the time until the season rolls around. I offered a free DVD on the other forums for the person with the closest guess. Give it a guess.

Here's the link to the video:

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-10 AT 03:24PM (MST)[p]He's got it all except the deep hooks.

But you guys guessing in the low 80's are way off. I'll say 89 2/8, which should put me at the top of the current stack.

Give us the answer.

Wow, this thing is all over the board from 80 1/8 to 90 5/8. I don't know much about Pronghorns but I'm gonna say it's some where in between.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

There is a big differene between a gross/green and net dry pronghorn. Big. There aint a chance on earth that buck is close to 90....a 90 buck is unreal looking. Nice buck for sure....but 90 nope....not even mid 80's with a nice tape IMHO...add in 60 days for drying...pronghorns are notorious for shrinking...and there you have it

yep, its final now...lol

Accurately judging pronghorn from a photo and mediocre (no slam on Eli) video is just what the heading of this post says...a guessing game.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-10 AT 00:15AM (MST)[p]This is definitely interesting seeing all the different guesses.

On one side we have..."There aint a chance on earth that buck is close to 90"

And on the other we have..."But you guys guessing in the low 80's are way off"

Thanks to all the people throwing out guesses though, big or small, that's half the fun!

Keep them coming if you can - I'm hoping to get over 100 guesses between all the different forums. So far we're at around 65 or so.

And just as a small note - this particular video and the photos on the other forums are all that my Dad and I used to field judge this buck so you guys are seeing the exact same thing we got to see. Our video camera was attached to the scope so we never saw the buck through the scope.

REDDOG: I didn't see your guess above...what are your thoughts?

www.PronghornGuideService.com

I gave you my guesstimate on another site (different name over there) but it was

= 83-6/8

Green? Gross? Net? After drying? It makes huge difference. Sometimes I see people fast and loose with Pronghorn scores. Know how many BC book entries there are for Wyoming....the Pronghorn capitol of the world????? 894. A 82 minimum for all time book. With literally hundreds of thousands...maybe millions....anyways ALLOT of Antelope killed over the years..... 894, and yes I know ever buck does not get entered but still making the 82 min. net,dried takes a super animal

Net official B&C 60 day drying score is what I'm looking for.

Adventurewriter: I'm curious as to what your green gross score would look like if you listed all the measurements for this buck compared to what your net B&C official score would look like if given all the measurements?

You're right about there being a difference in the scores, but since everyone's guessing to begin with I think that you'd encounter a larger margin of error trying to first estimate the green gross score and then trying to estimate the deductions and then trying to estimate the amount of shrinkage. It seems like every estimate would be created off an inexact estimate to begin with. So, basically, I'm thinking that each new estimate would just multiply the inaccuracy of the first guess. Of course, I could be completely over thinking it... ;)

OK, the guesses have slowed down some so I'll see if I can spark the fire again.

Sometimes one of the better ways to judge a buck is to compare him to other bucks around him. When he's all alone and there aren't any other bucks around you can at least compare him to other bucks that you have photos of and know the final score of. Here's a buck we can look at that has a similar shape from the front view and isn't too dissimilar from the side view.

How do you guys think this buck compares to our original buck? Is this buck below bigger or smaller? I'll reveal this bucks score after we reach 100 guesses on the original buck. We're still stuck at 65 guesses.

http://www.thearizonahunter.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3172&mode=view

http://www.thearizonahunter.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3171&mode=view

That new Buck looks like it would go around 79 3/8 still a nice Buck but I would kill the original one in any unit in the country.

OK, it looks like we're stuck at 65 guesses.

Here are the stats:

Average
L: 16 1/8
P: 6 3/8
B: 6 7/8
1st: 7 2/8
2nd: 3 6/8
3rd: 2 5/8
Score: 86 3/8

Minimum
L: 14 1/8
P: 5 4/8
B: 6
1st: 6 4/8
2nd: 3 1/8
3rd: 1 4/8
Score: 80

Maximum
L: 17 5/8
P: 6 7 /8
B: 7 5/8
1st: 8
2nd: 5
3rd: 3 2/8
Score: 92 3/8

The average scores for the different forums was kind of interesting to see:

TAH: 88
MM: 85 5/8
OYOA: 86 2/8

Some interesting thoughts on the numbers:

Only 3 hunters guessed the 2nd quarter to be over 4 inches.
Only 1 hunter guessed the prong to be under 6 inches. No one guessed the prong to be 7+ inches.
Only 4 hunters guessed the buck to score under the All-Time B&C minimum.
8 hunters guessed the buck to score over 90 inches.

The second buck scores 87 2/8 SCI and 86 4/8 B&C and was taken by Cal Sutton in Arizona's Unit 9. We had nothing to do with that buck being harvested.

About the original buck (and the reason I haven't posted it's score yet): The buck has yet to be killed - it is still alive as I type this. We call the buck "PrimeTime" and currently it is one of our candidate bucks for the Arizona Auction Tag Hunter. The hunter will be coming in on Friday and, unless we find a bigger buck between now and then, we will go after "PrimeTime".

My numbers on "PrimeTime" look like this:

L: 17 1/8
P: 6 4/8
B: 6 7/8
1st: 7 2/8
2nd: 4 3/8
3rd: 2 7/8
Score: 90

With this experiment I was hoping to achieve something of a "Wisdom of Crowds" type thing. Not sure if 65 guesses qualifies, but it's the largest response I've seen to a scoring thread yet, so that's exciting.

It will be interesting to see where the crowd and official measurements collide (provided we take him - fingers crossed).

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-10 AT 07:00PM (MST)[p]Looks like my estimate of 89-2/8 is close to yours. And I stand by the statement that those guessing in the low-80's are way off.

I have two 85+ goats on my wall (yes... those are net, dry, officially in the B&C book, 85+) and your "Primetime" buck looks a few inches better per side.

I'm often surprised by the "low-ball" guesses for pronghorn on MM. It seems that some are conservative so as to not be ridiculed for excess optimism. But I'm not surprised that the Arizona hunters group had a much higher average estimate than the MM average. It appears that the Arizona hunters know a big goat when they see one.

I expect that some who declared "not even mid-80's with a nice tape" (see Adventurewriter) have never held a true 85+ pronghorn in their hands.

Let us know what Primetime scores when you take him.

HT

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom