Scout backpacking tent recomendation

400bull

Very Active Member
I posted this in the hunting gear forum but I thought that I would get more reply's here.

I'm in the market for a 2-3 man backpacking tent that my boys can use for scout camps. I don't want to spend my lifesaving's on one but I also don't want to purchase a cheap tent that will only last one camping trip. I'm looking to keep the price below the 150.00 price range. Any recommendations on a good quality backpacking tent that I could get for my boys?

400bull

I'd try to find an REI quarter dome T3 on ebay. They're about $250 new, so you might find one for $150 used in good condition.

I have the Cabelas XPG Ultra light tent. I have had it for about 8 years now and have used it every year since (I am a scout leader). It still works and looks great and has been awesome. It has been in rain, snow, heat, sand, etc. I got it on sale for $99. They do make better tents out there but this one has definately served its purpose.

>I have the Cabelas XPG Ultra
>light tent. I have
>had it for about 8
>years now and have used
>it every year since (I
>am a scout leader).
>It still works and looks
>great and has been awesome.
> It has been in
>rain, snow, heat, sand, etc.
> I got it on
>sale for $99. They
>do make better tents out
>there but this one has
>definately served its purpose.

Same here.
Our bunch has the 1, 2, and 3 man versions.
The 2 man is just right for me and my pack.

I second the XPG from Cabelas. It's built good, withstands the elements and its cheap. There are better tents but for your price range its a good one.

All good suggestions!
I would also consider the Marmot LimeLight.
They are selling them at Costco.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-13 AT 05:40AM (MST)[p]I also have the Cabelas XPG. It would stand up to anything but a heavy snow. And it is on sale and in your price range.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...packing+tent&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

And for two boys, you would definately want to get the 3 man version in any tent you get. Otherwise, no room for anything but sleeping. 3 person gives room to sleep and room for gear. The XPG also has a vestibule where shoes/boots can be kept dry.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I've used a Kelty Yellowstone with rain fly for years when the situation calls for more room. The tent is very ventilated. I've used the tent in cold down to the teens with no trouble. I did have it collapse under snow once, but it bounced back up with no problems. It's great for two guys. I've slept three in a pinch. I'd imagine boys would have no issues. My brother and I used to split the load and it worked great. I've also used the rainfly alone on bivy trips. Very versitle and easy to use tent.

MtnHntr,

I am glade you have had a better experiences with the Kelty Yellowstone then me. I have had the 4 man version for several years now and have the repair/replace the poles on it at least three times now. Any time the tent was up and the wind was blowing more 30 mph you could bet I was replacing poles.

I have been doing a fair amount of research on tents I believe I have narrowed my search down to these three tents.
Cabelas XPG
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents-Shelters/Backpacking-Expedition-Tents|/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104303880/Cabelas-XPG-Ultralight-Tent-3-Person/727518.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-tents-shelters-backpacking-expedition-tents%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1100670%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104303880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104795280%253Bcat104779080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104795280%3Bcat104779080%3Bcat104303880

REI Passage
http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent

REI Camp Dome
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

Now I just need to head to the stores so I can see the first hand to see what one I would like to get.

Thanks for all the suggestion.

400bull

I bought my son a Cabelas XPG 3man tent when he was about twelve. He has used the heck out of it and we have used it on hunting trips quite a few times. It has never leaked and is still a great tent. You will pay more than $150, but I think it is worth it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom