Scout - Service project ideas

400bull

Very Active Member
I am a scoutmaster for a local boy scout troop in Orem Utah. We have scheduled to do a service project later on this month. In the past we have helped the neighborhood with projects and local ward members. This time I would like to do something other then cleaning someones yard. Any thoughts or ideas the troop could do? The service project would need to be done on a weeknight (preferably Wednesday night) from 7:00 to 8:30 PM. We have a total of 7 boys ages 11-13 that would be working on the project.

Thanks

400bull

Had some great times with my boys during scouts and we did lots of service projects. Not sure what you have by you but I can give you some ideas on what we did here in Illinois.

We went out on a weeknight and helped serve food at a homeless shelter. This really got to the boys as they got to help the needy first hand.

Went to a food pantry and helped sort food that was going to be distributed to those that needed it.

We adapted a Highway and every couple months cleaned along the Highway.

My most favorite one was we worked with the Fire Department on a simulated boating accident. The boys went down by the river where they where fitted with makeup and fake injury's. The fire department responded to a boat accident and did not know what they had going until they got there. They had to call other departments in to help with all the victims and try to figure out what happened. This was a joint drill that even the Hospital was in on as the boys where transported there just like the real thing. I really encourage you to see if the local Fire Department needs some help.

Headed to the local grocery store and helped the elderly carry their groceries out to the cars.

Worked with the county conservation department and cleared brush, built some benches, and helped trim walking trails.

These where off the top of my head if I think of any more we did will send them your way

Don

picking up garbage in a canyon or around a lake is a good project for scouts. Reminds them to leave no trace.

If you were up for a drive to Herriman, the trails in Yellow Fork could use some clean up in the form of clearing branches.

The Yellow Fork idea is fantastic. The main horse trail just left (South) of the creek has lots of noxious weeds, specifically thistle and burdock that could be dug out. A group of 7 boys and 2 leaders could knock all those out in one evening.

Thanks for the idea. If you decide not to do this project I might beg our local scouts and go with them to do this.

DEADicated

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom