scouting area 89

B

bake

Has anybody scouted area 89 lately. I talked to a friend from Casper, he can't remember the last time the area has been so green due to the amount of rain this year. He says the goats are great this year, but has not had a chance to do any mule deer scouting, but it should be one of the best years for antler growth. Anybody have any thoughts.
Bake

We had a pretty tough hunt, we were set up in a non guide drop camp. We got a fare amount of snow on the weekend before Oct 15. The roads and two tracks were almost undrivable. Either snow drifts or mud slowed us down.
Their was 4 of us. Two of us had pronghorn tags as well as deer tags. A friend shot a nice 14 1/2 pronghorn on Monday. I had are outfitter take me out on monday for pronghorn. I made the mistake of turning down a very heavy 14-15incher with some sticker points, because the guide knew there were some 15" plus animals around. The snow must have moved them to some areas that we couldn't get to. We went back for the 14"animal but he was no where to be found. We cut the day short due to truck troubles due to the road conditions.
Opening day for deer came and went with no animals taken. We witnessed a lady take a great 4X4 first thing. It was around 165". Thurdays we spotted two bucks high up a ridge. We put a stock on them and got the bigger of the two, which was not very big(ground shrinkage). On the was back I spotted a herd of pronghorn crossing in a valley in front of us . I did the 200 yrd dash to get into position. I took a average animal about 13". The other two hunters tried a different area on Thurday. They made out great. One of them took a very nice 3X4 with good height and mass around 150-155. and my brother inlaw took a smaller 3X3.
So I was left at camp by myself on friday to try and fill my tag. After a morning of not seeing any bucks, I was sitting at the camp wondering where I should try next. My Outfitter stopped by and had some suggestions. As he started to drive away to go pronghorn doe hunting with his other guide he stopped about 100 feet away and said jump in the back. I never ran so fast in my life. After glass for about a hour we were about to try another spot when the one guide said he thinks he see a ear. He put the spotter on him and start jumping. He wouldn't let me see him, because he didn'twant me to get buck fever. After a 1.36 mile stock he was down from a final shot at 359yrds. I didn't know wheather to cry or get sick. I was pretty excited. I can't say enough about my guide from Thunderridge Outfitter Ron Morrison. Normally this animal would have been a $3000 animal. He didn't charge a thing. He just said make sure you come back. The deer is 28 7/8" wide with great mass, 4X4 tith pretty good forks and short eye guards.
So the hunt end with the fairy tail ending last day last hour.
I will try a post some pictures when I figure that out.

Jason

Jason,
If you have trouble trying to post the pictures, send them to me through my e-mail address and I will post them for you.
Just click on the "double envelope" icon next to my name and send the pics to me with Subject line WY hunt so I can recognise the mail and not get deleted.

Brian

I am really glad things came together for you. I wondered with the weather if the deer had started moving southeast to where they supposedly winter near Seminoe Res IIRC for that part of the state. I know the elk were somewhat down when I was there in Sept. Anyway, Congrats on the buck. I am anxious to see the pictures.

Pat C.
-----------------------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backcountryhunting/

http://picasaweb.google.com/WillyP1956

Here are the pictures that "bake" sent to me to post. Congrats Jason and great pictures and success too.
Brian

492483be77ff423f.jpg

492483e278ae2a52.jpg

4924840d79ad6498.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom