Scouting coming up

505Hunter

Hey guys,
Gonna head up to 2B here this weekend to start some scouting for our October deer hunt. Once again, never been to the unit but have some spots to look at from previous research. Anyone have any suggestions or advice they wanna fill me in on? Maybe some areas to check out, where the water is, the road conditions, anything from you locals?
We will be using a camper, not sure as to where were gonna camp but really excited for it and to get out!

Happy scouting y'all!

3860img956609.jpg

2552img950495.jpg

been scouting few times...even I don't have tags...

vinihunt

That's a reassuring picture! Looks like the rain has done some nice growing out there for the grass and vegetation.

go to caracas mesa the deer will be moving in alreay and check ot cabresto canyon . If it rains anywhere in 2 your in trouble the roads et slick focus high in cararcas and chekc the area out around navajo lake and rosa road

I dont think those were 2b to be honest I know vini has been up in 51 alot so maybe from there but i dont think its 2b based on the aspen ... i think he was just showing scouting pictures .

I have scouted 2 b alot this year as i have a elk and deer bow tag seen lots of game in the rosa road area there alot of resident deet there even tho people dont say there is they just like to keep to themself . and you'd be surprised alot of elk have moved into the caracas mesa area more then i have ever seen big big bulls to i have some good pics i got up that way near caracas of large bulls id focus up that way take tire chains and hit that area runnin i also scouted the gas buggy area and it wasnt fruitful and hasnt been the last few years the deer numbers there have went way down and the elk stay on the dam res that borders that area like i sadi id focus on the tall pine aspen areas up above caracas mesa for you deer or rosa road .

Awesome pmixmaster, that was actually one of the spots I was gonna check out along with rosa road. I'm hoping it doesn't rain but the chains will be coming! Thank you all for the input so far!

yo shedcrazy..sorry..yeah it is in unit 51/52...505 was asking about scouting..

was up in 51/52 with buddies who have rifle tags for deer and elk...show them around...

vinihunt

This is my first rifle hunt so I'm pretty stoked. Usually we go muzzle loader. But this time I get to use my new 30-06.

Well, what is all of your opinions about 2B? Is it better on the north side of 64 near Caracas, Cabresto, and Bancos Mesa's? Or the South side of 64? I went up around Caracas but IMO it looked way rugged and rough and thick, and didn't really see any places to go walk around at. Down south near cedar springs it was real open and seemed to me to be better walking. What do you all think? North or south?

We've had luck north of 64. It used to be good south but has gone down hill the last few years. Get out and walk behind the closed gates. They are open now but should be locked by the time the hunts start

NMHUNTER, it just seemed that up near Caracas was impossible hunting. I mean I have no problem with walking, but that looked impenetrable. Am I missing something? Can anyone point me in the right area near Caracas? South of 64 looked real open and nice country. I'm just puzzled on where to go come hunting day.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-14 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]I've hunted in 2B (mainly in Bancos Canyon, s. of Carracas Mesa). You really have to hike back from the roads before seeing any deer. It's definitely thick country, but there quite a bit of rimrock to glass from.

The BLM to the west (between the Carson and the lake, N of 64)might be better hunting than the National Forest. At least, that's what I've heard for the last couple of years.

See I have no issue with hiking back or anything, it was just so overwhelming I didn't know where to start. We scouted around that BLM land and all down an around Rosa Road, but didn't see anything but oil fields and oil truck workers going back and forth, seems nearly impossible to hunt on. Not to mention that road is unbearable haha.

Would hiking back up near Caracas near the CO and Jic border be worth it, or should I test my luck in somewhere remote down south close to the Jic border?

I'm not looking for a trophy, I'm just looking for a legal decent buck to shoot.

like i said and others as well the south side has went down hill its not as open as it seems and the only one part is laguna seca mesa other then that its just as rough and rimrock terrian and the deer have vanished form there prob due to all the lions the lion hunters run rampant and i saw them a month ago running there dam dogs from ride to ridge never saw a deer or animal for that matter i was disappointed . the deer dont mind the oil workers near rosa they are used to the vehicles but as i said before carcasa and cabresto are good places walk a locked gate and you will see deer

Pmixmaster,
Thank you for the reply, my grandad can't walk as well as he used too so he needed area that was more open, such as south side, but I do have some spots to try in the south and if our luck doesn't do us good there then my dad and I will be spending a whole day up near cabresto and Caracas. I am just trying to see where I would have the best chance of tagging out. But I also hear that unit 2B is full of surprises and anything can happen at any minute anywhere. Haha

I understand like i said your best chance of tagging out is along the roads behind locked gates near cabresto and caracas . there are deer on the south side but not many and the ones i have seen in the last few years have been doe. but being that you said he cant walk sounds like your plan is to road hunt? if that is the case it will be very tough cause your hunt is right before the migration kicks into full swing and you wont see the bucks off the side of the road and everyone else there road hunts .

Many will agree 2b isn't what it once was, the deer are managed very poorly in this state and its a shame . But like i said best of luck i've given my knowledge and input but sounds like your content to hunt the south side if that is the case good luck cause it will be super tough hunt but beats working

I appreciate your input Pmixmaster, and my grandad is the road hunter, my dad and I like to do the walking. So the more I research I'm thinking we will hike our butts up in there north and see what if we can't get myself a deer!:)

If the roads are bad while hunting in 2b you can bring your camper to Simms Mesa Campground by the lake. It will be easier to access. It also has showers. Should be able to get a space without reservation at this time. It is not a far drive to Bancos Mesa (15 minutes maybe) and Carracas Mesa (30 minutes), you can also shoot right up to ROSA Road from here. ROSA has been good for me in the far north nearing Colorado. Talk with the oil workers if you see them. They have been very helpful to me in the past.

10-4 what he said i was going to suggest this as well serves as a very good base camp for multiple areas to hit

That's where we stayed while we were scouting. But it was a good hour drive to any of the spots we wanted to get too. Wated something a little closer, so camper during scouting and looks like we're tenting for the hunting! Haha. Might try Rosa Road up north, we drove that way and didn't see anything, but some nice spots to glass. Oil workers galore, so might just stop by one of the ones sleeping in their truck and ask what they have seen haha. Thank you all for the input!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom