Scouting Trip/Family Vacation

SWINGBOW

Since drawing my elk tag all I can do is think about how it will all play out. To say I'm excited is an extreme understatement. My wife and kids know how crazy I am and agreed to take a summer trip with me to check out my area. We also went to the Grand Canyon and Sedona, both were amazing!

We only spent 2 days in my area. The campground we stayed at was slightly less than perfect. The full hook-up spots are right on top of each other. I was camped approx. 4 inches from a group from Phoenix that really hated the fact that I'm from California and after the 10th California joke I was over it. I guess if I lived in Phoenix I would hate people from San Diego too...

Needless to say we didn't spend much time cuddled up to our neighbors and this forced us to do more exploring/scouting. In our travels from glassing spot to fishing spot and back we met a couple of guys and their wives from Flagstaff. I felt like I found some long lost brothers! These guys were a wealth of knowledge and very friendly to myself and my wife and kids.

I found these guys the first morning
6215p1060788.jpg

This was the second morning's gems. Count 'em 24 bulls! There are some absolute toads in this group
4843p1060791.jpg

This bull made my heart stop for a second.
818p1060778.jpg

We saw this early "scouting pic" that was drawn by an ancient ancestor of mine.
5843p1060835.jpg

We also had a close encounter (60 yards) with a small black bear. My 8 year old son was telling his mom to "calm down" Of course my pistol and camera were in the truck that was on the wrong side of the bear. I did get this pic just before the Fish and Game agent shot the bear twice with rubber bullets from a shotgun. That is a story all in itself...
6008p1060679.jpg

Overall it was a great time. Thanks to those of you Arizona residents that treated us with the same respect and courtesy that I try to teach to my kids. Also thanks to my fellow MM members for the advise leading up to this trip. I can't wait to get back in August to scout some more and try to find a deer to put an arrow in.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom