Seasonal forum

mntman

Long Time Member
Should have a forum that opens mid May and then closes in August where all the people can post their same question with first ever post.... "I just drew this tag and don't know area, not asking for your honey hole but want to know where to go to find ______________ (buck/bull)?"

Then are never heard from again...
Founder could even set it up to where all they enter is the unit name and then it posts automatically with a pre written question??? maybe season too as fill in spot?

Maybe the shed guy asking for a guaranteed spot to find a deer shed can go there too? He might even find some help.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I'm pretty new to making any posts on this website, although I have been looking and reading this site for a few years. I have seen exactly what you are talking about but hopefully the fng's are still casually looking at the site just not posting their opinion all the time.

I think we all love it when a new poster asks for that kind of info and even when good members spill their guts the original guy never even comments or says thanks. Weird
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON May-27-16 AT 11:50AM (MST)[p]Since I'm not a new guy, if I post up asking for your deer/elkk honeyhole will you give me the gps coordinate? How about if I even say please and thank you? :)

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

A few years back I was "that" guy. No one fed me and I stuck around anyway. I doesn't always work out as you hope!:D

Totally understand got to start from beginning but its the guy that asks for info then never returns. Like zeke said no thanks not even an update to how season went. We all like pics/stories, least they could do is give us an update...

Mntman

Forums are interesting. It's almost like high school all over again. You got your regulars and then the newbies trying to break into the circle. I live in one of the best hunting areas in Colorado. If someone wants info regardless of how many posts they have I enjoy helping out but first I see what they have to offer. For example I would love some info on general deer hunting in Utah. I would trade info, if someone was interested, on hunting the Gunnison basin in Colorado. Tit for tat.
This forum is, for the most part, very welcoming. I can't say that about some others.
As far as the guy who wants to find a deer shed goes he's that guy in high school who was a complete d@#k. All he wanted was attention and he got it! S@*t we're still talking about him! I have to admit those posts did make me laugh.

ya mntman i agree, if they get any kind of pointers even if its a pm they should say thanks and it would be nice to hear of an update everyone can see.

Have you had this happen? Somebody posts questions about unit xyz, I reply by PM and include a forum reply, "PM sent." Then people I've never heard of send PMs asking about that unit, even months later, because they saw that PM post.

Ya!

Get it set up mnt!

Within the next 15 Years I might Draw & All I'll have to do is Fill in the Blanks!

But this is How I'd like to see it:

Hello MM'ers!

I'm not New to this Site!

People have been Putting up with My BS for Decades!

Took me 30 Years to Draw this GAWD-DAMNED _________ Tag!

I Am Wanting to know where your Honey Holes are!

And I Want some SOB'ing GPS Coordinates as Well to any 390"+ Bulls!

Oh,And I wanna Tell you all Thanks!

In Advance!

Maybe 25-30 F'N Years in Advance!

Ya,This should Get me a Big Bull!

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

LAST EDITED ON May-27-16 AT 03:16PM (MST)[p]>Have you had this happen? Somebody
>posts questions about unit xyz,
>I reply by PM and
>include a forum reply, "PM
>sent." Then people I've never
>heard of send PMs asking
>about that unit, even months
>later, because they saw that
>PM post.

PM sent....
I only went back 7 years to find all of your posts, should only be about 33 units listed on the PM with questions.

Elkassassin,
you know you have talked too much crap so the UT DOW has black balled you from ever drawing a tag... I thought that word made its way back to you by now. You might as well just come to CO and hunt the monster 280 bulls we have :D

Mntman

LAST EDITED ON May-27-16 AT 05:48PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON May-27-16
>AT 03:16?PM (MST)

>
>>Have you had this happen? Somebody
>>posts questions about unit xyz,
>>I reply by PM and
>>include a forum reply, "PM
>>sent." Then people I've never
>>heard of send PMs asking
>>about that unit, even months
>>later, because they saw that
>>PM post.
>
>PM sent....
>I only went back 7 years
>to find all of your
>posts, should only be about
>33 units listed on the
>PM with questions.
>
>
>Elkassassin,
>you know you have talked too
>much crap so the UT
>DOW has black balled you
>from ever drawing a tag...
>I thought that word made
>its way back to you
>by now. You might as
>well just come to CO
>and hunt the monster 280
>bulls we have :D
>
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>

You're SPOT ON mnt!

What They Don't know is I will Hunt it one Day,Or should I say one year!

It Might be a Federal Park by then but I'm OK with it!

All that means is Less Hunting Pressure!:D

I'm Not much Interested in Colorado's PISSCUTTER Bulls!

However,I do know they Pull a Good Bull out of the Wood Work once in a while!

You mighta only went back 7 years but that only covers a Handle or two!:D

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

>Have you had this happen? Somebody
>posts questions about unit xyz,
>I reply by PM and
>include a forum reply, "PM
>sent." Then people I've never
>heard of send PMs asking
>about that unit, even months
>later, because they saw that
>PM post.

elkduds
happens all the time, heck I have been known to search the archives and PM away. I know I sent one to you this year...and thanks for the responses... I get plenty of them myself, I just look up the user name and if they have helped others I pass on what I know and learnt about the unit, but never what someone has told me. I rarely hunt where somebody tells me I use that as a starting point and go from there. if they have not actively helped they will get a general reply.

I don't think it's a matter of post count. I think it's a matter of the guys who get info and never comment back to say thanks or how it went.
I've helped a couple guys on this thread and helped a couple by getting them in touch with guys who know more than me. I like to help! I just spent a half hour on the phone with a tag holder and the contact/friendship was formed through MM.
One of my new BFF's was a guy who helped me on my Wyoming moose hunt through MM.
Yep, it's not helping that we find objectionable, it's the lack of feedback once the info is given.

By the way, my wife and youngest daughter want to chase a January cow elk on SW desert, if they draw, but it's been 4 decades since I've been there. Anyone have a cow honey-hole to share??????
Zeke

I think I'm more like Zeke, I don't mind responding to someone's request for help, I don't pay much attention to their number of posts, if they make a well mannered inquiry. Some folk don't seem to know how to ask politely, those get passed over with out much regard.

It aggregates me a lot when I take the time to respond and never hear back. I'm not one to give one liner comments so I generally get fairly invested in the response and when it doesn't generate a one line thank you, it turns off my desire to respond to the next inquiry. Fact is, it's happened enough over the last year or two it take a pretty well written request to get a response out of me now days.

What is the most disappointing of any requests, at least for me, is one coming from someone that is a regular, active participant on the forum. When I share a request for information from a "good ole MM" member and get nothing in the way of a response.................... that really lets my water run! And it happens pretty regular. I've learned who's willing to share and who's a "one way street" over the years.

Having said that, I can't help everyone, so any more I read through all the inquiries, pick the ones I think are "sportsmen that I might respect" and throw out a bone. If the responds generates a positive conversation, I expand on my offer to help, if it doesn't trigger a positive conversation, I just leave it be and move on to someone else.

I've had amazing help from many MM members over the years. Some have become loyal friends. I've appreciated every suggestion, pointer, recommendation and friendship I've had these last six years. 90% of my interactions with you folks have been outstanding. The other 10% ......... Hey, where else can you say 90% of your interactions have been rewarding?

Your an amazing mix of fantastic people. Hope you all have a great weekend and I especially want to tell you veterans how much I appreciate you. God bless you!

DC

Zeke I don't know the first thing, or the last, about the SW desert elk unit but I darn sure know a bunch of great guys that do. If Momma gets lucky..........I'm your huckleberry!

DC

Treed, glad to help. Most MMers are respectful and willing to share, like you and me. I posted because some are not. Example: I ask people to let me know how they did if they use my advice. I rarely hear back from them. Doesn't seem like that much to ask.

If someone, ANYONE, asks for a tip on a spot I'll tell them exactly where to go. Even if I have never met them. I always have other spots anyway plus spots I haven't found yet. Most of the mature bucks I find were hiding in plain view or even living in one of those spots where there ain't any deer.

Be a brother to your fellow hunter. Somewhere sometime people helped all of us.

The only honey holes I don't tell people about are the ones someone else took me to and asked me to keep quiet about.

Let's be truthful tri...most of the "mature bucks you find" were actually found for you by an outfitter. See how helpful I am and I only have 600 plus posts. Carry on.

Grosventur,

In the last two seasons I have seen four deer over 190 inches killed. 3 of the four were not known to exist to any other hunters until I saw them and those three were dead within a day of being seen for the first time. So let's be honest.

Okay.....I've been here since 1999......I drew the Book Cliffs archery this year......I'll take all the info I can. PM's welcomed! :)

BOHNTR )))---------->

I try to help out wherever I can. The fact of the matter most of us only get a few shots at good tags and are not hunting the best units every year. I understand the one post wonder stuff and why folks are reluctant. I believe that if you treat people the way you would like to be treated then things will work out. It is as simple as that to me.

Rich

>Zeke I don't know the first
>thing, or the last, about
>the SW desert elk unit
>but I darn sure know
>a bunch of great guys
>that do. If Momma
>gets lucky..........I'm your huckleberry!
>
>DC

DeCr.
Thanks a ton! I'm hoping they have enough preference points to draw. It was my wife's idea to try for a cow tag this year and she talked about learning a new spot in the State. It makes me down right proud of her!
We'll be in touch if they draw.
Zeke

I'm a lot like 2Lumpy. I'll feel someone out a bit before I offer up anything above a general response. Helping folks on here out in exchange for help from them has resulted in whitetail in Iowa, bear in Idaho, and muleys in Utah so far for me. It's all part or doing research as far as I'm concerned. If a guy chooses to not help, so be it. That's his option. Some times I do, some times I don't.

I do appreciate a well written and thought out request for info. I will totally ignore the "I drew this tag, what do you know that could help me out" pm's. My hide gets chapped when a simple "Thank you" is not extended, too!!

Hope your sweetheart draws the SW tag Zeke. Can't think of any MM member I'd rather lend a hand.

DC

I've tried to help out people as much as I can and have also seen a lot of folks you never hear from again after giving them the low down on an area. Most of the time it's been for what is usually a crappy area with high drawn odds, but the elk are there. On a brighter note, I got a PM out of the blue about my desert sheep hunt and was put in contact with a young man that used to be a wildlife biologist working with the herd I'm hunting. Great guy and he wants to tag along this year. The guy that contacted me drew a rocky tag in the Latirs and we're going to help each other with whatever we can do. That's the way it should work.

Phil

Since I'm not that much into trophy hunting and actually enjoy hunting with others, I don't really have any honey holes per se. I just know where the animals are from year to year in the areas I hunt or have hunted. So when people ask me about areas to hunt, I don't have much of a problem telling them or even setting them up or taking them. And I can't say I've ever had a bad experience helping others. While there have been a few that didn't give me an update, to me it isn't that big of a deal and I'd help most of them again if they asked. The only things I expect is that they respect the law, other people around them, the animals and the land and they hunt safely, and so far as I know, they've all met those expectations.

I think most of the guys i've helped have good intentions of getting back to me but i don't wait very long, i'll PM them and ask for the scoop on how the hunt went.

I've both gave and gotten some great help here in these pages.

Thanks Much and you're Welcome! :)

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Is this what you were talking about Too Funny!

Help with Wasatch west archery deer hunt

Isaaccoss84 (2 posts)
"Help with Wasatch west archery deer tag "
Out of state need any help or advice possible thanks in advance.

littlebighorn (2972 posts)
1. "RE: Help with Wasatch west archery deer tag "
Congrats Isaac,
The fact you are out of state suggests you won't be hunting the entire season, unless of course you don't work!
The Wasatch is a huge unit so you need to narrow down where you want to hunt. Also the rut doesn't get going at all until after Labor Day, so if you are going to try calling in a bull you need to focus on the last few weeks. It's not as easy as TV shows might suggest.
Sitting a wallow is probably the most proven way to kill a bull but it's pretty boring if you ask me. Don't much like sitting in a tree for hours on end.
My son had that tag four years ago and hunted hard, finally taking a nice bull over water.
A guide would also greatly improve your odds.
Best of luck

Isaaccoss84 (2 posts)
2. "RE: Help with Wasatch west archery deer tag "
Hunting for deer not elk

littlebighorn (2972 posts)
3. "RE: Help with Wasatch west archery deer tag "
LAST EDITED ON May-26-16 AT 08:00 AM (MST)

Sorry,
I'm getting senile!
The deer unit is much smaller and most of it holds pretty decent archery deer hunting. I'm guessing the majority of resident hunters live in the unit, so scouting is not a problem for them. Because of that, the opening weekend will be very crowded but mid-week hunting will be better. The further you get away from roads the more you will have it to yourself. I don't think any area is particularly better than any other. The higher you go, the more likely you are to find bigger bucks, but that's not always the case. If you want to PM me with specific questions, I will try to help.

Wow!

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

The three bucks I found that were killed were on a 240k acre ranch without a single corn feeder on it. You can't get your head around it can you groseventre. Let's be honest.

I'm pretty dang new to the site and jumped aboard to gather recommendations for an outfitter in Wyoming since their nonresident laws won't allow me to hunt wilderness areas. I kind of figured word of mouth was better than any references an outfitter would "pick and choose" to provide. That being said I think most of us generally try to be educated on an area/unit before we apply, but yes there are always the ones that apply for X unit because good ole huntin' fool says its a quality tag and expect everyone else to feed them information.

If someone, ANYONE, asks for a
tip on a lease I'll
tell them exactly where the lease is. Even if I have never met them.
I always have other leases
anyway plus leases I haven't
leased yet. Most of
the mature bucks I find
were feeding under a Cornflinger
or even living in one
of those spots where there
are many cornflingers.

Be a brother to your fellow
Leaser. Somewhere sometime people
helped all of us.

The only Cornflingers I don't
tell people about are the
ones someone else took me
to and asked me to
keep quiet about.

Fixed it for ya City Boy. You're welcome.

Funniest post ever. The city boy from Houston tries to get in on a conversation with the big kids about Muley spots. LMAO!!!!

Actually what is funny is your fixation on my posts. You literally don't post anything but childish drivel about ME. Your a little obsessed. Don't like the women folk do you boy?????

I think you should start your own forum for mule deer hunters that like ruff dude love and leave the killing to the men around here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom