Second Rifle Unit???

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
wondering about the second rifle seasons in NM. Kinda like to hunt that state some day soon and the single digit odds on the rut hunts are discouraging, regardless of weapon choice. In past years I felt that it was a primo unit during the rut or nothing. Now I just want to hunt NM and with better draw odds, maybe I can even learn a unit and hunt it again.

Got horses and willing to do whatever it takes once I get a tag in my hand.

Based on no response, I'm guessing this is most people's fallback position. Gonna put one of these units 2nd rifle as my last choice to try to draw a tag. Need a new place to start learning the elk.

Unit 51 take horses south and east of Kiowa mt. Not many roads in there . Not alot of 300 class bulls but respectable bulls for sure.
Other parts of the unit are heavily hunted and poached but that area has been quiet and we never saw another hunter.
PM me some info on unit 4 Co .

Horses and 51 are a good fit, I'm think of doing the same thing and bring down my horses for that unit.

Unit 34 is not a bad unit. The elk herd is really doing good. I have hunted deer there 3 years, a bagged 1 respectable 4x3. Could have bagged smaller bucks every year, but getting a little picky in my old age. Before they started the drawing, the roads were lined with pickups, and 5 to 10 guns pointed in every direction. I watched from a distance as one of these low lifes shot and left lay 3 does and 2 fawns. Too far away to get their licence numbers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom