Secondary draw list is up.

brutus54

I felt compelled to go through an exercise in due diligence. I made a list of all the 2023 Secondary Draw tags I'd like to apply for along with how many tags are in each of these hunt codes. It's a long list. I then went to the 2022 Secondary Draw Recap to see how many kids applied for each of the hunt codes I'm interested in. It was no surprise that adults will have ZERO chance (not even close) of drawing even one tag off the list I assembled.

Lots of details on those PDF introductory paragraphs. Funny that the most important detail is left off the PDF completely.

1687204059007.png

I’ve asked the same question dozens of times. I’ve had friends and family draw hunts with zero points and others did not draw with a point. BTW I looked at their application and there was no mistakes.
I don't think the system would allow that. Do you have any specific examples of that being the case? Most likely if in the last few years that their credit card did not allow payment. If it happened a few years back most likely they had zero points for the draw and one point afterwards and did not draw. Nothing else makes sense and if they should have drawn what did CPW tell them?

I don't think the system would allow that. Do you have any specific examples of that being the case? Most likely if in the last few years that their credit card did not allow payment. If it happened a few years back most likely they had zero points for the draw and one point afterwards and did not draw. Nothing else makes sense and if they should have drawn what did CPW tell them?
Nope. Every thing was legit trust me.
I know how it works here and CPW had no explanation.

Nope. Every thing was legit trust me.
I know how it works here and CPW had no explanation.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Post screenshots from the user’s account showing the year, choice 1 hunt code, # of points and the unsuccessful message.

Agencies mess up draws all the time, but they deserve to be accused with appropriate evidence, not generalized allegations.

Last edited:
I have two sons, 12 and 15, that didn’t draw anything. Would someone send me a DM with some of the better or great deer/elk tags available?

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Post screenshots from the user’s account showing the year, choice 1 hunt code, # of points and the unsuccessful message.

Agencies mess up draws all the time, but they deserve to be accused with appropriate evidence, not generalized allegations.
Really?
This has been a few years ago.
Go ahead and doubt no skin off my back.

I have two sons, 12 and 15, that didn’t draw anything. Would someone send me a DM with some of the better or great deer/elk tags available?

Archers?
DM002O1A
DM055O1A

I don’t believe any of the super premium tags fell to the youth draw this year. But several did make it that are 10-12 point NR draws. And those dads will get these tags while keeping all points AND gaining a point for this year.

Meanwhile, CPW scratches their head about why they have such trouble with creep.

Last edited:
The initial reissue is youth preference. From then on its free for all. I have no problem with this. It gives the Littles a chance to hunt. I've been in the draw game for years. I have points built up all over the place. I can choose a hunt every year that I am basically guaranteed, and fill in with some leftovers and 2nd choice, with a occasional landowner voucher thrown in. Children don't have this luxury. Most kids are in school, so they don't have nearly the time that us olders have. To have a decent chance for quick success, a one or even a two point unit is lots easier for a youngster to have success in. I about ruined my boy when he was young. He had a leftover cow tag and one weekend to fill it. We busted it because I wanted him to have success. I about killed him. Some of yall act like your draw strategy hinges on the reissue draw.

Has anyone or know anyone who has drawn a second choice tag since since CPW started the secondary draw system. I don’t.

Has anyone or know anyone who has drawn a second choice tag since since CPW started the secondary draw system. I don’t.
My brother and I drew in the secondary draw in 2021. We were the only 2 that applied for the tags.

We've drawn our 2-4th choices in the primary draw too.

Last edited:
If you're talking in the primary draw, I drew a 3rd choice tag since the secondary draw came about. Lots of youth drawing 2nd-3rd choice in the secondary draw.

I stand corrected, although I have never drawn a second, third, or any choice beyond first in the primary draw. I must be an anomaly to the system. There are six tags available for elk 2nd in 67 that I put in for. ?

I stand corrected, although I have never drawn a second, third, or any choice beyond first in the primary draw. I must be an anomaly to the system. There are six tags available for elk 2nd in 67 that I put in for. ?
The 6 tags in the secondary draw would be either unpaid or surrendered tags that were drawn. You must not have had any preference points because 14% of the resident applicants drew with no points. Last year 5 tags from that hunt code made it to the secondary draw and 11 kids applied so you'd most likely be making a donation if you applied.

The 6 tags in the secondary draw would be either unpaid or surrendered tags that were drawn. You must not have had any preference points because 14% of the resident applicants drew with no points. Last year 5 tags from that hunt code made it to the secondary draw and 11 kids applied so you'd most likely be making a donation if you applied.
I think you made my point. I did and now have another PP which don’t count in 2nd choice applications. If they are saving tags for youth hunts that’s fine, just be honest about it. I don’t believe there were 6 hunters that didn’t pay for a tag that requires a credit card to apply.

No tags should be taken out of the initial draw if not paid for. They should go to someone else in the draw who paid their application fee, made it their strategy, and by right should have a proper chance at the available tags. So the initial draw / payment system is the problem, not the secondary draw. And this quirk, which is not done this way in other states, is making point creep much worse than it needs to be.

I felt compelled to go through an exercise in due diligence. I made a list of all the 2023 Secondary Draw tags I'd like to apply for along with how many tags are in each of these hunt codes. It's a long list. I then went to the 2022 Secondary Draw Recap to see how many kids applied for each of the hunt codes I'm interested in. It was no surprise that adults will have ZERO chance (not even close) of drawing even one tag off the list I assembled.
Don’t worry CPW knows that 6000 NR will chip in 10 bucks at all those tags like taking money from idiots

I think you made my point. I did and now have another PP which don’t count in 2nd choice applications. If they are saving tags for youth hunts that’s fine, just be honest about it. I don’t believe there were 6 hunters that didn’t pay for a tag that requires a credit card to apply.
Gunni never underestimate stupid rednecks ability to max out credit cards… or guys turned them in when they drew their Az, NM, Wy tag?

For the last decade Ive been drawing a 2nd choice Buck tag in the primary draw allowing me to collect enough points to draw a unit Sixty Seven tag this year (and several of my friends do the same 2nd choice buck tag, we all draw it every year).

I also have been drawing elk tags in the primary draw in the same unit with 0 or 1pt for quite some time now.

The primary draw isn't rigged, its statistics. All the info is out there. Ive also been on the losing side. couple years ago I put in for a Sixty Seven cow tag that was 86% draw with 0 points. I was 1 of 17ppl who DIDNT draw with 0 points. Thats life.

I know an older guy who got shutout this year on an elk tag he put in for with 0pts that was 80% draw, he was one of 12 that didnt draw. He also didnt get a deer tag he put in for with 2pts that was over 50% draw with that number of points. Thats life, and statistics.

I have also noticed on tags that take 20+ points you will see random people with 5 or 6 points drawing a single tag. Thats not statistics, thats b*llSh*t.

Last edited:
Made my $10 donation ?

For the last decade Ive been drawing a 2nd choice Buck tag in the primary draw allowing me to collect enough points to draw a unit Sixty Seven tag this year (and several of my friends do the same 2nd choice buck tag, we all draw it every year).

I also have been drawing elk tags in the primary draw in the same unit with 0 or 1pt for quite some time now.

The primary draw isn't rigged, its statistics. All the info is out there. Ive also been on the losing side. couple years ago I put in for a Sixty Seven cow tag that was 86% draw with 0 points. I was 1 of 17ppl who DIDNT draw with 0 points. Thats life.

I know an older guy who got shutout this year on an elk tag he put in for with 0pts that was 80% draw, he was one of 12 that didnt draw. He also didnt get a deer tag he put in for with 2pts that was over 50% draw with that number of points. Thats life, and statistics.

I have also noticed on tags that take 20+ points you will see random people with 5 or 6 points drawing a single tag. Thats not statistics, thats b*llSh*t.
That's hybrid, man. Not bullspit.

Is it only open to resident youth this year? For some reason I thought that was going to change
Nope just youth preference across the board… so even the Co kids get screwed over by the state. I guess it’s good to start them young so they can get used to the state hosing Residents haha

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom