Self-guided hunts

B

Buckshot22

In the start of planning a self-guided elk hunt in the fall of 2005. At this time we are leaning on going to Colorado. Probably the main reason is the over the counter permit system. We are not after the trophy bull so much as just want the best chance at filling a tag, be it bull or cow. I have personally did a guided hunt before in Wyoming and it was well worth it, but money is tight these days and that was years ago. I have also did a self-guided trip prior also again it was a few years ago also.

Just looking for some thoughts as to where to go, some experiences from the last couple years doing the same we are looking at.

Thanks

do you plan to hunt public or privet property?
privet land could cost you up to 4000 bucks
public is free.
Do you have the equipment for camping or are you looking for a drop camp?
are you planing to hunt deep, or close to roads?
do you need horses?
do you have the means for taking care of you prize?
or is it going to mean going to a processor?
a due it your self elk hunt in colorado,
for a non-res. bull is going to be around 500.00 next year.
food, gear, misc. 60 bucks per person,
the rest is up to you.
it runs me around 750 and that is including gas money for.
it can be had for less if you split or share to
gas/transportation there and back.

cow tag 250 bucks.
that realy reduces the load.
you chances for bull, 20 percent.
your chances for cow 35 percent,
these are just rough figures,
you can go into the division of wildlife and get better stats.

your best chance is to wait for 3 season and get them as the come down from the back country.
now thats what i have heard,
maybe some one else can be more helpful.
personaly i feel the sooner in the season is better.
do you bow hunt?
the second week of sept to the end of the season is supperb.
and will leave you with more memories than on can possably ever comprehend.

well thats my 3 1/2 cents worth.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-04 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]We are planning on public ground. We do have all equipment necessary or if not shouldn't need much more. And are willing to go deep to get away from the crowds and hopefully at the same up our chances. We are taking care of our own meat if successfull that is. We do have access to horses but are not sure yet due to fact of transporting them and then care while there.

As of now we are basing our costs on what the OVC permits run this season, $500 permit fee and then another $350 should cover per person we are thinking. Not figuring in processing as we have the facilities back home for that. Will split meat equaling amongst ourselves, antlers and mount if we manage a trophy by accident will go to the shooter.

Buckshot22,

I did a do it myself hunt last year. I hiked a spike camp back in about 4 miles. I prearranged to have my elk hauled out by a packer and it cost me $225.00. with 2 or more guys you should have no problem hauling in a basic camp as long as you don't mind living lean. I had the hunt of a lifetime and saw 1 hunter in 4 days. Killed a bull on the second morning. I took a load in the weekend before the opener and the rest in on my back. I hunted alone and 2 guys could easily have hauled everything in one load.

By the way: I hope you aren't planning on party hunting on single tag in Colorado because it is very much illegal.

No way would we consider party hunting, its not allowed here and that's not hunting anyways in my book.
We had given it some thought about possibly setting something up ahead of time to have our elk, that is if we are lucky enough to fill a tag also brought out. But not at those prices. I have been in on packing out our own before and at that price will do it again. But thought I remembered reading in a post on here that sometimes you could get an area rancher to pack out for around $60, at least that is somewhat better.

I can relate to money being tight. One thing that is overlooked as an expense is when an animal is harvested in the first day of a 10 day hunt, add a couple days on the road back home. That animal will spoil even if it is in the shade and well iced. Last year I saw a out of state group with a small freezer and a generator strapped to a trailor. They must have paid the high price of locker rental before.

Now that is an idea, using the generator and freezer. But they always say about them being level and all to operate correctly. Wouldn't the up and down of the hills or even the constant motion while traveling interfee with the operation of the freezer?

Prior we have used what is called a freezer box. The exterior of the box was 4 foot x 4 foot and 3'6" high with an pretty much airtight lid system, put we taped it to make sure. It is of cardboard design, but actually has a water proof interior to it and about 1" thick walls that are sandwiched designed with foam as an insulating factor. Dry ice is used as the cold source and we were able to keep our meat below 35 degrees the trip home. And this was with 80 plus outside temp and over 48 hours. Or lets put it this way, 35 was the lowest temp we recorded during our trip home. Biggest problem was finding dry ice.

I have also read about building a cold storage while in the field hunting, but this all depends on the temp you are at. Availability of natural snow or ice and well I would have to think the bear population would have to be considered also, since its located on the ground.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-04 AT 11:13PM (MST)[p]If you haven't heard of the self-hunt guide consulting services offered by our own MM member, Deerking (aka Jeff Coldwell), you might want to check that out. He has a very low cost (and it's a group cost, not per person) and really unique service particularly for non-resident hunters in Colorado. Basically he does all the scouting for you ahead of time. Deer, elk, goat, sheep, he provides scouting information, pics, video, maps, everything you can imagine, everything you need to find critters on public land. He even makes sure to tailor your hunt to your physical abilities and to your desires. I'm pretty sure he's booked or almost booked up for this year, but if you're talking next year, you have plenty of time to check it all out. Here's the link to his website.

http://hometown.aol.com/antlerquest1/myhomepage/business.html

Oh, and if you need any references about Jeff or his abilities, just PM any of the "regulars" around here and you'll be pretty impressed. Good luck to you next year!

Buckshot22,
The freezer idea works well. We did it that way when we went to Missouri on a deer hunt. We used an older chest freezer in the 14cu/ft range. On the way out we filled it with camping gear to conserve space and keep things dry. Once we got where we were hunting we unloaded it and got it fairly level, let it set for a few hours and then plugged it in and cooled it down. Day temps were around 80. For your needs and time of year you could probably get by with hanging the meat at night and then placing in the freezer during the day to stay cool. You may not even need to turn the freezer on. Depending on temps at night the meat may freeze solid and if so you are golden. When you packup to head home make sure the meat is froze and then pack the freezer full of sleeping bags to help insulate and tape the lid shut. That should last you 24 hrs easily. You can also add dry ice as needed.
Stalker

Jeff and I are doing some corresponding now I believe. But sure appreciate all the good info from this forum. Dang good place.

I agree use Jeff's AntlerQuest consulting service and you will be in good hands.
Probably the best deal for the money anyone who does not have time to scout areas in Colorado can get.
Best,
Jerry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom