Selling a pistol in Utah???

antlerless

I need to buy a new bow and need a little cash. I have a Taurus .357 Mag snub nose pistol that I bought a few years ago and have only shot about 30 rounds through it. I had a Glock 27 given to me so that is my new concealed carry pistol and don't need the .357 anymore. I was going to put in on KSL but was curious if there was any paperwork I needed to do for the potental buyer??

---------------------------------------
"you can't fix stupid"

In Utah when you are doing a private party sale of a firearm there is no paperwork or paperwork involved . With the exception that you would need to make sure a handgun buyer is over 21 years of age . That is a educated guess on that part , it may be 18 years of age .

As a seller you are not required to do a background check , but its not a bad idea to list that you will only sale to a C.C.W. permit holder . In my mind that gives you some peice of mind you are not lettin the gun go to the wrong person .

I allways do a bill of sale also .

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-11 AT 10:04PM (MST)[p]Always get a bill of sale and have them write on it that they can legally own the firearm. It is illegal to do a private sale to an out of state individual. Let your gut tell you and if you have any doubt don't sell it to them. Sometimes I would run a background on them. I've done dozens of firearm transactions and only had one weird experience.

On a side note: I just listed 2 bows in the classifieds.

deadibob I was curious about that out of state sale thing . So is that a A.T.F. rule or what ? Or just a Utah rule .

Just the other day my girlfriend was at sportsmans whorehouse trying to buy a couple of pistols for mounted shooting but they turned her down because her drivers license is still from out of state . When she was telling me that , I had a hard time understanding the logic in that .

I got thinking about a out of state hunter , that either needs to buy a firearm or finds a good deal while visiting Utah . I guess he is just out of luck .

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-11 AT 11:24PM (MST)[p]For handguns it is a federal law, even to purchase from a dealer. For long guns it varies from state to state whether or not you can purchase from a dealer. It depends on the laws of their home state. I.E. a nevadan can buy a rifle in Utah but a californian and some other states cannot. No interstate private transactions are allowed on any kind of firearm (federal law) not to say that people don't do it in ignorance, you just don't want to be the guy that gets caught by the ATF.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom