sellouts?

monstermuleyhunter

Im interested to get all of your opinions on selling out an animal to an outfitter. I know of situations where guys in the field see a big animal, cant close the deal and phone it in to BIG ##### OUTFITTERS and negotiate a price and then the outfitters take their wealthy client in to the GPS coordinates given and slam the animal and get their pics and all credit for the kill. This makes me sick! I have told close friends about animals but have NOT ONCE been a sellout. I don't believe in this one bit. I just want some other opinions.

"I'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains!"

I'll weigh in as a no I wouldn't do it, and wait for Tristate to come on and pick and argument which I won't respond to.

Is it really that easy? Get the GPS coordinates and the animal is right there. Dumb mule deer. I bet those wily whitetails and ghostly coues would be no where close to the location. But, then again mule deer are a little slow especially when they look back over their shoulder before pukeing over the ridge. Would I give some nimrod who has just found a 250" deer a bottle of Crown Royal for showing me his location? HELL yes! Absolutely positively unequivocally YES.

Probably not that easy, but money talks. I imagine by bringing in a pack of spotters the guides would certainly have a good chance to kill the animal. I think a true finders fee is usually paid only if the animal is killed, what your talking about probably pays a lot less.

I don't really love the idea of this practice, but I can't say I am as against as you are. However, it begs the question: How much are they paying? Because I guarantee you that I'd have a price when it comes to this. I expect that we all do.

Has nothing to do with being a real hunter or not. It's a resource, we allow money to be made off of your public resources every single day. It's a personal decision you're no less of a hunter either way. If I put in the time and find a big animal and there is an opportunity to make money on that within the legal bounds of the system, you're damn skippy I'm gonna do it. And what a lot of people don't get is it's not just the money. It's still the thrill of the chase! In Utah drawing a big bull tag is rare, but I've help on many hunts and it's just as exciting whether I pull the trigger or not. Same goes if I find a giant, if I don't have a tag and an opportunity to chase it myself I have no problem taking someone that does have a tag to pursue and harvest that animal. Same thrill for me whether I'm the trigger man or the "guide", "spotter", "observer".

In the state of Utah, I believe that this is now illegal, unless the person getting the money is a licensed guide.

I don't see the issue here? What's the difference between telling a "regular Joe" that you only know from some internet forum, or telling somebody with money? Most of these animals are killed on LE units, or perhaps long after the normal seasons have ended. Who else you gonna tell if you don't know anybody with that tag, or all the normal seasons are over?

How many people can say that they have found an animal, that NOBODY else knows about, that is worth a big finders fee???

2a0fcsk.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-15 AT 10:57AM (MST)[p]How many people can say that they have found an animal, that NOBODY else knows about, that is worth a big finders fee???

Many.

I've never found anything big enough to be worth much money so it's never been an issue.

But, I think it's unfair to the animal to be up for bid to tag holders who may have never otherwise been in the area. but, it's legal so I guess it's just one of those what are you going to do about it situations.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-15 AT 11:55AM (MST)[p]I would happily help a friend or family member. I have even helped other hunters that I did not previously know by pointing them in the right direction. However, I would not sell a trophy animal to a high roller for a finder's fee. I am not aware of any law that prevents such an activity but I personally would not do it.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

volunteering info is one thing maketing the animal is another and there is still market hunting going on and it is illegal. I was aware of a 5000 fee for the right bull on the gov, tag in ariz. they would still have excess big bulls now without market hunting and outfitters,it would sure cut down on the game killed by someone who has not learned to hunt. In oregon they give every other year to outfitters the only tag available for some unit on national forest,If you dont feel sold out it may be because you dont know it yet.

This reminds me of back in the last stock crash it was leaked that the wall street elite called the citizenry "Muppets".

A few of you missed my point but that's ok. I said I have no problem helping family, friends or even a fellow hunter. The thing im completely against is selling a MONSTER bull to the biggest outfitter in Utah. I simply have more respect for the animal than to be his pimp. I too get as much as a thrill when im on a hunt as the shooter does when they take their animal.

Not saying any names because then I get accused of being a hater or being just jealous. I believe the shooter who killed a certain spider looking bull a few years back paid $10k to a lady with video evidence. Pretty sure that shooter uses a guide who is infamous for employing locals and paying finders fees.

I find much of what "professional" guides and their shooters doing to be distasteful. Everything from paying spotters, sitting on animals while they sat. phone their clients in. Flying, road blocking, etc, etc, etc.

Yes there is a major difference between you telling your cousin about a bull, and a "professional" paying for the info. Same difference as sleeping with your woman as opposed to paying for it. One is a commerical enterprise.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-15 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]So ill bite on this one, even though I've been outfitting for a long long time and this isn't our MO I really don't have an issue with it but I'll ask a question and then give you my 2cents....

My question back to you is, would you help the guy (big money guy, the guide/outfitter) for free? Your family, friend, fellow hunter for free but not a guy who pays--so what if we doesn't pay you?

Isn't the guy who bought the tag a "fellow hunter"? If not, please define 'fellow hunter' for me so to clarify.

I'm with Muley 73 on this one, I fail to see the difference on doing something helping family and friends who may not have money for free vs. doing something for a bit of cash from a guy who does, its still a dead bull.

If morally and ethically you have a problem receiving $$/cash/dollars for providing information, working etc. when it comes to wildlife that's fine and that's your right. However it is not illegal, it is a business model some employ to be successful at what they do not unlike many other business out there who I would wager you support. Its no more immoral or unethical when you a bonus or tip for doing something at above and beyond at work.

What this really comes down to (I would wager) and I believe where your real root of concern is, is you don't care for the way someone makes a living, maybe even envious of what that one outfitter does for a living, but maybe not, just my opinion.

Try not to loose to much sleep over it:)

Todd Black

Visit our YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

I see as a touchy subject. From my knowledge; any form of copesation towards an unlicensed guide on public land is considered illegal outfitting. At least it is Colorado. But all know of a group of individuals whom stretch that each year with Governors tag clients (especially in Eagle and Gunnison county) I personally couldnt do it and feel morally right. Yes I of course I have helped friends and families members on animals over the years like the rest of us. I feel "finder fees" have to be one of the, if not the biggest corruption with modern day Governors tags.

Coloradoboy

Are Utards the only ones doing this?

Yea I know about the BS in Eagle county, but that's a certain brownstained Utard bringing his Utraded BS to Colorado.

When i first joined MM, i was offered a job looking and extra money for finding a buck worthy of a Calif Governers tag. Just so happened that i had one of the semi sleeper tags in this state, X-5A, that year and i had a monster tall and heavy 9x8 buck scouted and pegged without him knowing that i was on to him. Each hour that passed was like days waiting for opening morning.

I turned down the offer, hunted the buck come opening season, never found him but found out later that the buck was poached by guys who shot the lock off a gate, trespassed thru un-huntable private land, and killed the buck just before the season on the piece of public far from roads that he regularly bedded.

If that buck had lived and i not got him, i still would not have sold him. Yes, i'd have passed on the info, even helped a friend get the buck as i've done many many times before. To me, A guy i don't know but has big money to throw around, is not the same as helping out a Friend who drew a good tag.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I believe what you wrote 100% and commend you for that it's always harder to do the right thing. I would give info to a friend but I'm not about to become a pimp at this stage in my life.

There are a lot of different circumstances that could go into whether or not you " sell" a particular animal. For instance, can you hunt that animal yourself during another season this year, or perhaps next year? Do you have a friend with the right tag to hunt that animal this season or next? Whats the probability that animal is easily located later in the year, or next year?

My point is, I don't think one blanket statement answer fits all situations.

2a0fcsk.gif

Tony: None of those circumstances would convince me to "sell." IMO the trend of "selling" the best trophies is bad for the animals, the sport, and the majority of hunters who are earning their harvest instead of buying it.

I was offered 10k for gps on a bull a few years back that have been might be a record bull, by outfitter buddy for Gov. tag hunter.
I declined as him and his little 405 7x7 buddy are our breed stock.Big one has since vanished but little guy is king here now.
I only know of 1 other person who saw these bulls.
Was offered fee for big bucks in CA, declined.
Sure hope I find the sheds of the big boy some day.8x11.

Hate the guide system and wish they would un-license them all. Let anyone take money from any hunter. That would cure a lot of the problem and eliminate a whole bunch of guides. We have made a money pit out of animals. I even wish they would require sawdust to be used on taxidermy animals. No foam, use the old skull and just stuff the head with wood.

The point is this - they have ruined the hunt as I knew it - why? Money, just money and here's the kicker. If I knew where the biggest animal was and could sell that information for a bunch of money I would do it, so I'm just as bad as the lot.

Can't go back, but I don't have to like it.

cannonball,
I agree that money ruined it. Money was needed over proper management. Poor management of the resources due to the need for money by the agencies managing the resources. Guiding and taxidermy haven't ruined our elk or deer herds. Poor management of the resource by the government started the process, the rest of this money business(special interest groups, gov tags, high paid guides) is the result not the cause. Its the second wave of money having an affect.

And if you want an old school salon mount, you are always able to get Pete Weimer to redo one of those old smoker bucks you have hanging up in the basement.

I guess I'm the only evil capitalist in here then, I'll gladly sell info, as you can't actually sell a wild animal, for cash any day of the week. So long as I don't have a tag, or know someone with one.

2a0fcsk.gif

How does it work for outfitters in Utah ? Do they only have a specific area they an guide like it is in Idaho ?
I don't know much about Mossback but it looks like he can guide all over Utah.

Muley_73:
Very different when im helping family versus selling an animal for profit...do your file taxes on jerky and mountain dew because I sure as hell don't.

Back when I was young we had good quail hunting here in Illinois. You could sell dressed and ready to cook quail for good money. It was illegal to do so. I see parallel's here. If I hire a guide to take me on a 1 week hunt I fully expect him to have done quite a bit of prehunt scouting. I see all of this as normal and ethical. The guide is doing this to earn his guide fee. He is licensed. If I find a nice trophy animals living area and sell the info I believe I would be guilty of a form of guiding without a license. Hard to inforce but still acting as a guide.
J_T_B

>cannonball,
>I agree that money ruined it.
>Money was needed over proper
>management. Poor management of
>the resources due to the
>need for money by the
>agencies managing the resources.
>Guiding and taxidermy haven't ruined
>our elk or deer herds.
> Poor management of the
>resource by the government started
>the process, the rest of
>this money business(special interest groups,
>gov tags, high paid guides)
>is the result not the
>cause. Its the second wave
>of money having an affect.
>
>
If that is the case, I'd be interested in seeing the actual petition that Don Peay's crowd presented to the Legislators and/or the DWR at the rally on the capitol steps some 20-21 years ago. Can you show us a copy?

Let's clarify one thing. No one owns the animal. What is being sold is not the animal it's the knowledge I'm selling. The big ticket tag holder has not purchase an animal they have purchased an opportunity. I have no problem selling my knowledge, it's what I do everyday at work. I worked to gain the knowledge of an animal, yes I'm willing to sell that knowledge. If you choose to trade that knowledge for jerky or soda pop that's your choice. If you choose the trade that knowledge for cash well that's your choice as well.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-15
>AT 03:47?PM (MST)

>
>So ill bite on this one,
>even though I've been outfitting
>for a long long time
>and this isn't our MO
>I really don't have an
>issue with it but I'll
>ask a question and then
>give you my 2cents....
>
>My question back to you is,
>would you help the guy
>(big money guy, the guide/outfitter)
>for free? Your family,
>friend, fellow hunter for free
>but not a guy who
>pays--so what if we doesn't
>pay you?
>
>Isn't the guy who bought the
>tag a "fellow hunter"?
>If not, please define 'fellow
>hunter' for me so to
>clarify.
>
>I'm with Muley 73 on this
>one, I fail to see
>the difference on doing something
>helping family and friends who
>may not have money for
>free vs. doing something for
>a bit of cash from
>a guy who does, its
>still a dead bull.
>
>If morally and ethically you have
>a problem receiving $$/cash/dollars for
>providing information, working etc. when
>it comes to wildlife that's
>fine and that's your right.
>However it is not illegal,
>it is a business model
>some employ to be successful
>at what they do not
>unlike many other business out
>there who I would wager
>you support. Its no more
>immoral or unethical when you
>a bonus or tip for
>doing something at above and
>beyond at work.
>
>What this really comes down to
>(I would wager) and I
>believe where your real root
>of concern is, is you
>don't care for the way
>someone makes a living, maybe
>even envious of what that
>one outfitter does for a
>living, but maybe not, just
>my opinion.
>
>Try not to loose to much
>sleep over it:)
>
>
>Todd Black
>
>Visit our YouTube page
>http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

First I appreciate Todd for being honest. Todd your right I do have a problem with "professional" guides. I think most of us that do have a problem with it is the "buisness model" discussion. Wildlife is not like any other natural resource. We don't spend years watching coal. We don't spend years trying to draw tree cut permits. We don't live a lifestyle devoted to a mineral. We do all the above with wildlife and to have folks such as yourself turn it into a simple commercial transaction cheapens something we live to to. Honestly, I don't envy you. The ammount of butt kissing and nose wiping you have to do in pursuit of an animal so some shooter can pull a trigger I have no interest in doing. Most of us have to do this for a living and don't want to do this for our passion.
Once you reduce this passion to a "buisness model", you loose the majority of us. The fact that you have been guiding for so long that you simply look at an elk or deer as a paycheck, in short makes us feel sorry for you, however, that sorrow does not mean that we turn a blind eye to your methods. I believe you that this isn't your MO, I have had people close to me that have been around you and I believe you don't "pay to play". The fact that you don't understand how commercializing hunting has and is destroying it shows your level of jadedness(probably not a real word). To a majority of us the "professional" guide is not much different than a livestock rancher, the only difference being that your butcher is dumb enough to pay you to do it, the livestock rancher still has to pay his.
But lets be fair, you guide CWMU's and in doing so you have locked gates and guaranteed tags year after year. Other guides that freelance don't so they are more desperate for clients. Easy for a Deseret guide to not have to "reduce" himself to those tactics, but lets be honest, you would if it meant getting paid or not. Your right, its not illegal, and I won't comment on your ethics, but paying finders fees and for info shows just how far away from the passion for hunting the "pros" have drifted. We aren't fellow hunters. You are a middle man for a trigger puller. You have no emotional connection to the sport, or the game, you simply like your "job" and will hold your nose on any legal method to keep it. Most of us won't.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-15 AT 06:55PM (MST)[p]I can see it now...

At the base of every access rd into good country, there are a line of young guys holding signs and banging them on the ground for attention.

A Father and his Son pull over and up to the first guy in line.
"Hey, what do you got?"

"I got a nice 4X4 Typical, maybe about 26" outside with good mass, probably score in the 180's. I could let him go for $700."

"Anything else, we're looking for something pretty good"?

"My Buddy up there in the red coat has a non-typical over 30" and lots of points but he wants $2K., might check with him..."

Some say that progress, has to happen.
I say limitations have been in the past and must continue to be put in place for things, not to happen.

BTW, not just talking Utah here or even just this topic. The wildlife on public land in this Country, all the States, belongs to us all yet nobody in particular. We are little better than temporary Stewards of the Resource that can be voted away.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Supply and demand. If dad and son stop and pay. Then it will continue. If they drive on by the sign bangers eventually go away. How about hunts and areas you are required to have a guide??? How about if you're a big tipper? Is that ok??? What's the line that it's too big? Big tippers usually get better service going forward?

Coal watching???? Deer watching???? Bird watching????? Tree watching. All the same hoss. They are all natural resources. Hoss do you dislike loggers, miners, ski instructors, roughnecks? Or just professional hunters (guides). They all make a living from natural resources. Supply and demand dictate the money they each make.

Supply and Demand, IMO, is no way to manage "our" hunting heritage. The ONLY reason that we have any Game left at all is because we have agreed to abide by set limitations to protect the Animals. No supply and demand about it! We need to continue to protect the resource for our lifetimes and future generations to enjoy, the best we know how!

Joey

It would be nice to protect and even retrieve some of the amazing opportunity for quality hunting we used to enjoy. It's not just about protecting the resource, big money hunters can do that, it's about protecting an amazing heritage.

Abolishing any form of guiding, outfitting, spotting or anything else involving money for wildlife on public land would be the best thing imagineable. I guess we can dream can't we?

I thought someone else would have posted this by now, it is obvious. Each state government owns the wildlife in that state, even the wildlife on private property. The "game" behind high fences is livestock, privately owned, prohibited from mingling w wild herds. The state has authority to make hunting laws, provide management agencies, license outfitters, set hunting seasons, issue hunting licenses, handle game damage on private property. Those laws apply on all land in the state, including federal and private property. Others beside the state can have more restrictive laws (Nat'l parks) or request special seasons from the state, but the state must approve. Colorado's wild game belongs to all state residents, managed by the CPW. And no individual has the legal right to sell state property without the state's permission. Information is not the same as the game itself. But the taking of game must be licensed by the state or it is poaching.

Muley_73 wrote: Coal watching???? Deer watching???? Bird watching????? Tree watching. All the same hoss. They are all natural resources. Hoss do you dislike loggers, miners, ski instructors, roughnecks? Or just professional hunters (guides). They all make a living from natural resources. Supply and demand dictate the money they each make.

Muley, I can't believe you wrote that, and it is true, but not by my standards. I guess I just be Robin Hood and you - - I guess you and the guide services must be the King' men. Power, power, power and money, money, money.

Oh, where did the old fashion sportsmen and politicians go!!!!

Cannonball,
It's always been power and money. The DWR needed money to run in the beginning. When they were ever questioned in this they flexed their power and shot entire units out with antler less permits. More money and showing who had the power. They still do. They over sold tags in the name of budget. It happened over and over again through the 80s and into the 90s. Until the resource was so depleted that what was left became more valuable. Once the value was there along came the guides. There have been plenty of Robin Hoods along the way and I've fought along side them from the beginning. Guides haven't made it the Kings Forrest. The politians and and masses have made it that way by not demanding the resource be taken care of the entire time.

Cannonball you are one that knows this first hand! You use your beloved Pauns as the only model. If the entire state had been taken care of there would be less pressure in the red rock country! Shame on you for jumping on the newest bandwagon and shaking a pitchfork in the air. You have been here from the start and know the true sequence of the shift in our hunting heritage.

Nice to see im not the only one that feels this way. I live to hunt and feel robbed and cheated with all the POWER, POWER, POWER AND MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. I understand that is the states stance but as hunters we should be the ones to band together and have what is ours. Too bad we cant see eye to eye. There are many things in life far more important than the almighty dollar and shame on some of you for not realizing that.

Mickey,
Hunting is beyond a passion to me. Some say it's my religion. I'm just based in reality and not the way I wish it was or setting around and wishing things where the way they use to be. Hunters have NOT banded together in the past. That is the reason special interest groups got started to begin with, they formed in the name of giving hunters a voice! It takes money and power to have success, why? Because we don't just all band together and create a voice on our own and for free. If you take away the money you take away the power. Go take a look at Africa and tell me how that has worked out for hunters!!! Decisions must be based on actual reality and not on how we wish things were.

Muley, You're right to the extent of your brief experience. Don't ever think that taxidermy and guide haven't had some influence on the scene of the decaying deer herd. They represent money and of course all of the rest of what you indicated above. I really hate it all. The "beloved Pauns" has really been ruined by guide services and of course all the "waterhole" cameras and all my hunting friends have them. I would really like to take them down and leave a note to the person as to where they can find it, but then I would just get the heck beat out of me and at my age I don't heal as fast as I used to. Can't even pick your nose at a waterhole without being recorded.

When Lumpy starts taking about leasing land for hunting he has all, but given up. What about the little guy who doesn't have his deep pockets? Where are you youngsters that would fight for the down-trodden? All that any of you want is to stroke your own egos and what is in it for me. Actually we all seem to be heading that way and it is sad. Here is a good analogy on how times change. When I was growing up in a small town the biggest land owner would never post his land - felt as if the hunters would want a place to hunt. Then came his boys and all the "NO TRESPASSING" signs came up and little by little the red paint came out on every fence post in the valley. Everybody for them self - and money, money, money. My kids spend a fortune up in your country just buying ski passes and motorcycles for the family. They're into running and join Ragnar an these other races that all cost hunting money. They only buy licenses if they don't have anything else planned for the fall and the DWR wonders why they are losing the youth. I think we've had just about said it all.

Not to carry this on much longer, but again I say, "YES GUIDES ARE ONE OF THE PROBLEMS". Take one of your grandkids out on the Pauns and watch the "GUIDE ZOO" when you are in the vicinity of a few larger bucks. Believe you me the guides have all of the big ones named and know their habits. They are spotlighting at night. They telepone back and forth, go up and down the dirt roads 90 per and collect where they can concentrate themselves to funnel a deer to some "DUDE". The last time my son hunted there we were where a giant was, so what did a guide do, he pulled up and parked his butt next to us where we were by an secluded water trough. He only left after I went over an wrote down his license plate number. Isolated incidence? Nope - I could list a whole bunch of guide "Snotty's".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom